Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quadraphonics

spicy.wad - My first public map!

I made a short .WAD (single map, under 75kb) but tried to make the last part as slaughtermap-py as possible with the limited amount of space that area had, mostly because there was ONE pain elemental, well... forcing you to hold the shit out of that shift button for a little while. It's a tiny bit like Suspension of Dusk, with there basically being the colour grey everywhere you look. Ehh, that's the only connection I can make with this and Suspension of Dusk, since that WAD has a lot more open areas and length overall.

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Tested on Skulltag and requires a DOOM 2 WAD.

DROPBOX LINK -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn9e69ymty0p4zs/spicy.wad?dl=0

Nice attempt at doom mapping but definitely flawed in quite a few ways.

For one, the map uses textures in some rather ugly ways. Why is the computer monitor texture used as the side of a platform? It'd make sense if it was some computer tower that you can ride on but not when it looks like it's just part of the floor. The doors in this map are all taller than their textures which rarely looks good. Thirdly, whilst I know a lot of good maps out there have misaligned textures, here it sticks out like a sore thumb in some spots.

Second problem is the level geometry. I first tested in vanilla and the door that leads to the first outside area, the enemies get trapped by the door meaning I could easily wail on them with no penalty. Speaking of which, the door that leads after it is improperly tagged and as a result caused the entire map to act like one big door, closing itself. The jagged spikes on the floor adds a nice "hell is corrupting" feel to the map.

Challenge here only comes in the form of how tight the ammo is, and even then I had a few shells spare by the end. Easy wads are fine but wads that tighten resources are a pet peeve of mine. (Some are fine with this so this is more of a personal gripe rather than a flaw overall).

For a first attempt at WAD making, you did give it a good, honest try. :)

I'd like to see more but maybe with some refinements added.

15 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

For one, the map uses textures in some rather ugly ways. Why is the computer monitor texture used as the side of a platform? It'd make sense if it was some computer tower that you can ride on but not when it looks like it's just part of the floor. The doors in this map are all taller than their textures which rarely looks good. Thirdly, whilst I know a lot of good maps out there have misaligned textures, here it sticks out like a sore thumb in some spots.

I thought it'd make the platforms stand out more since most of the 12 or so textures have been repeated throughout the map until now and it'd make it feel more like a final room until the exit. I can see why you pointed that out as a flaw though, since it does clash with the other textures. The misaligned textures, as you said, do stick out pretty grossly.

Second problem is the level geometry. I first tested in vanilla and the door that leads to the first outside area, the enemies get trapped by the door meaning I could easily wail on them with no penalty. Speaking of which, the door that leads after it is improperly tagged and as a result caused the entire map to act like one big door, closing itself. The jagged spikes on the floor adds a nice "hell is corrupting" feel to the map.

Shit, I didn't realise that the door isn't properly tagged. The jagged spikes were kind of a last thought when I didn't think that there was enough detail.

Challenge here only comes in the form of how tight the ammo is, and even then I had a few shells spare by the end. Easy wads are fine but wads that tighten resources are a pet peeve of mine.

I'd probably do anything to add some tension to the player.

Thanks for pointing out some flaws with the map!