Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kinker31

What's Your Favorite Non-Doom-Based Source Port?

[Non-Doom-Based being any game that wasn't built in the Doom Engine that has a few source ports going for it]

My personal pick is Mark V, since it's pretty easy to make it look like the Quake of the 90s with much of the modern-day conveniences attached.

A good runner up is LZWolf, since I've started to have a growing interest in modding Wolf3D

(I should really think of getting ROTT, SoD, and Blake Stone at some point, it's only $8 or so last I checked...)

ECWolf for Wolfenstein 3D is excellent. Super stable, scales beautifully to pretty much any resolution you would want, tons of quality of life improvements, but keeps the original feel overall.

For Quake, Quakespasm is my go-to port for many of the same reasons as ECWolf.

EDuke32 for Duke. Polymer kills my framerate though. I'll get to the new hotness Raze at some point.

Berserker for Quake 2. I liked the flashlight, but I didn't like the little laser cubes that gibbed bodies. I disabled them at some point but forgot how to do that.

1 hour ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Berserker for Quake 2.

Isn't that this illegal Russian port without a source release? At least I was unable to find any when I last looked for it.

That said, my favorites are QuakeSpasm for Q1 and the 3.24 inofficial patch for Q2, although I added a patch for better music control.

My favourites include:

For Quake 1: Quakespasm (or Quakespasm Spiked)

For Quake 2: Yamagi Q2

For Quake 3: IoQuake3

For Descent 1&2: DXX-Rebirth

For Build engine games: Raze (or will be once some bugs are ironed out and Ion Fury gets supported)

For Rise of the Triad: RoTT EX (the port being developed by SVKaiser and is in a janky alpha state, but still better than any other source port out there that I have tried)

For Wolf3D: LZWolf (although I don't really play Wolf3D but I know that LZWolf is fork of ECWolf and it adds further modding/QoL features)

For Commander Keen: Commander Genius (although it is the only one I have tried)

For Daikatana: Unofficial 1.3 patch (technically it can be called a "source port" because it came to be because of the leaked source code by Romero)

30 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

the 3.24 inofficial patch for Q2, although I added a patch for better music control.

BTW what is your opinion on Yamagi. I think it supports a better music/sound system.

Edited by ReaperAA

11 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

BTW what is your opinion on Yamagi. I think it supports a better music/sound system.

I had some input issues with Yamagi which made me revert to 3.24 which did not. I cannot recall the specifics anymore, but it stubbornly refused to work with my default configuration. I had similar issues with BuildGDX, btw.

I'm also going to throw out ECWolf. The addition of an automap alone makes Wolfenstein infinitely more fun to play.

Reflection Keen for the 3D Catacombs games. My laptop is too outdated for CatacombGL.

OpenMW

Gives me no reason to use the stock Morrowind.exe. Much more stable (no more falling through the mage guild floor heh), better draw distances, works with most mods and better frame rates. Has it's own construction set being worked on, too. Even has a multiplayer branch that I've yet to try.

Been following this engine for a good 10 years now, time flies.

Quakespasm-Spiked because it adds some minor but useful modding features, yet is still very close to Quakespasm.

Also DXX-Rebirth because holy crap Descent is still fun to play, and DXX updates it just enough for my tastes (I love my texture filtering in FPS games).

19 minutes ago, Khorus said:

OpenMW

Gives me no reason to use the stock Morrowind.exe. Much more stable (no more falling through the mage guild floor heh), better draw distances, works with most mods and better frame rates. Has it's own construction set being worked on, too. Even has a multiplayer branch that I've yet to try.

Been following this engine for a good 10 years now, time flies.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was around for that long.

For Quake: Darkplaces and Quakespasm.

For Wolf3D: ECWolf. I'm hearing LZWolf is also pretty good, but haven't tried it yet.

For Build games: Raze. Nuff said.

For Quake 2: Yamagi. Too bad it suffers from input lag with uncapped fps and VSync though... so I always cap it to 30-40 to use VSync... Quakespasm has the same issue, but I don't think DP did the last time I used it.

For Hexen 2: Hammer of Thyrion. It's pretty much the only port still in development, it sucks that it has some issues though - also no high res support in Software? Wtf?

Openxcom.
So many QOL improvements while remaining faithful to the classic gameplay.

And of course opening the doors to the ever-growing mod community.

3 hours ago, Khorus said:

Gives me no reason to use the stock Morrowind.exe.

MWSE has had quite a revolution since they added Lua scripting and now there are a lot of extremely cool Morrowind mods that require it.

For PC, Raze for Build engine games

I mostly do my "source port gaming" on android, so these are the ones I use the most:

FTEQW for Quake (via Quad-Touch)

ECWolf for Wolfenstein 3D

Xash3D FWGS for Half-Life

Rott94 for Rise of the Triad (Even if the controls are a mess :P)

-ECWolf (hope it supports BS and ROTT someday)

-Quakespasm

-YamagiQ2

-Hammer of Thyrion (GL mode has mouse lag on my system unless I force-disable v-sync through Nvidia's control panel. Oh well.)

-EDuke32

36 minutes ago, fraggle said:

ScummVM for pretty much every adventure game that was ever released in the 80s-90s.

The Dig is one of my favourite games ever.

Mark V Quake engine, a fork of Quakespasm with more features. ECWolf is great for mapsets with no source code changes. NBlood is shaping up to be the definitive way to play Blood.

All Quake games (except Quake 4 because i run it stock with no issues):

Quakespasm, Yamagi, and ioQuake 3 (For Quake 1, 2 and 3, respectively)

Duke Nukem 3D:

Eduke32 and BuildGDX (i love being able to switch back and forth between the original game and pretty much any addon in a few seconds)

Other Build engine games (except Shadow Warrior): BuildGDX

Descent 1 and 2: DXX-Rebirth. (I used to play with D2X-XL, but last time i checked, it was way too bloated and unstable.)

Shadow Warrior: SWP and Classic Redux.

2 hours ago, unerxai said:

-ECWolf (hope it supports BS and ROTT someday)

I doubt ECWolf (or even LZWolf) will ever get support for RoTT. You would be much better off waiting for RoTT EX.