Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

2020 is Hindsight (here are some upcoming wad 10th anniversaries)

95a.gif

Has it really been that long since their releases? (Actually I though BTSX was older than that)

Don't forget 20th anniversaries!

The Darkening E2 (5 August 2000)

10 Sectors (26 November 2000)

literally any WAD released in 2000 I guess

2 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I refuse to comprehend this

Edit: some other important 2000 wads: HR2BETA (and as I understand it most of the maps that ended up in the final version existed at this point too, so HR2 is basically a 2000 wad) and Chord3.

Edited by Grain of Salt

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Just wait until the 20th anniversary of 2002ado.

Of 2010 wads mentioned Jade Earth is my favorite. UAC Ultra was a huge release that year too. Speed of Doom was a pretty instant classic and many considered it THE wad of 2010 probably, but has kind of aged iffy. But I think The Hatch, Spire, Doomed Deja Vu, and Year 23 are some of the best levels I've seen from 2010 that can NOT easily be found by looking in the Cacowards article or snubs. Phml and Newgothic are great for big time slaughter fans though.

Jenesis turns 10 this year.

At least, we'll have the anniversary of when I started working on it (October 23rd, 2010) this year.

The official release will be 10 on November 28th, 2021.

God I'm old.

I don't know if Knee-Deep in the UnDead, Phobos Massacre (later remade into Oblivion), and Deimos Deja Vu were 'lighters' for DTWID, but they all could have been, and they all turn ten this year, as does the START of the project itself. FWIW other vanilla style candidates from 2009 still within a year and a half of DTWID's starting: Mapgame (hey  Hocus @rf` Pocus you like to release your Caco winning projects in years ending in '9' don't you?), Needs More Detail, Styx, and Mr. Chris' (later became known as Glaice) E2 sequence: Stoned-Iconic-Abyssus-Centrum-Maledicto. The start of the vanilla renaissance? Maybe...

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

10 Sectors

Oddly, I was just thinking about this WAD yesterday. There were some maps in there that really stretched the limitations.

I was working on one at the time, but never finished it.

4 hours ago, FrancisT18 said:

Speed of Doom was a pretty instant classic and many considered it THE wad of 2010 probably, but has kind of aged iffy.

especially that incredibly overrated music track in map31, idk the name

6 hours ago, Gothic said:

(Actually I though BTSX was older than that)

The BTSX release mentioned was the one that added MAP19 (and iirc the epilogue map?) - the original release was December 10th 2012.

10 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

The BTSX release mentioned was the one that added MAP19 (and iirc the epilogue map?) - the original release was December 10th 2012.

Fuck

16 hours ago, Linguica said:

Uh. I still remember working on my 10 Sectors wad like yesterday for some reason :D 

17 hours ago, Linguica said:

I'm surprised that WAD is so old; 10 sectors per map sounds exactly like a gimmick which community project initiators would promote even now (sector limits, area limits, monster limits, texture limits etc.).

Plutonia Revisited Community Project turns 10 in 2021, I believe. The first custom WAD I ever played, not the best or easiest one to start with. :/

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Sorry about tooting my own horn

I think this is a perfectly fine topic for tooting your own horn

I included sf2011 in the OP in a fairly horn-tooting way. It's not a significant wad from nearly any perspective, but I have quite fond memories of working on the project (but not my maps themselves; don't play my sf2011 maps lol)

23 hours ago, Linguica said:

This just doesn't stop feeling insane. Anyway, I should quit my job and make Episode 3 in time for the anniversary.

5 hours ago, printz said:

I'm surprised that WAD is so old; 10 sectors per map sounds exactly like a gimmick which community project initiators would promote even now (sector limits, area limits, monster limits, texture limits etc.).

@Not Jabba pointed out that 10 Sectors turned out to be the first "modern" community project, in the sense that it solicited wide-open contributions from an online community. Previously @kmxexii has mentioned that Exquisite Corpse could be considered the first 1024 project. So in general I am still not convinced I am not a brain in a jar and all of you aren't my imaginary friends.

Apparently the 20th anniversary of the compiled version of Demonfear is March 17th this year.

Play one of the other 20th anniversary wads instead :)

On 2/28/2020 at 5:49 AM, Jimmy said:

Jenesis turns 10 this year.

At least, we'll have the anniversary of when I started working on it (October 23rd, 2010) this year.

The official release will be 10 on November 28th, 2021.

God I'm old.

Maybe a sequel should be named Exoduss.

18 hours ago, ukiro said:

This just doesn't stop feeling insane. Anyway, I should quit my job and make Episode 3 in time for the anniversary.

If you decide to do it, count me in for it! :D