Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

On 5/20/2022 at 6:59 PM, pantheon said:

how hard would it be to try tweaking or creating a new HUD in Woof? I saw someone made their own HUD variations in the DSDA port thread.

that would be me :)

and as much as I'd love to see something like that in woof, I reckon that it would be quite the effort..

dsda had a more modern starting point in the prboom+ codebase, after all.. and external huds support was pretty much lifted from that

woof on the other hand has humbler origins in winmbf and I'd think that baking that feature in is not on the immediate to-do list

I'd be happy with either of these two:

• implementation of International Doom's hud (especially the no-mugshot, widescreen variant) which should be less demanding since crispy's hud has been already ported over
  • a fourth Boom's hud variant, along the lines of what I've done with the "text-only" variant in my custom dsda hud

That's however all wishful thinking.. I do not intend to put any pressure on the devs!

@Delfino Furioso

If you mean this HUD from International Doom (with the possibility to turn off the mugshot as well) - yeah, that would be cool, actually.

In NOVA II, I experienced two I_SignalHandler: Exit on Signal 11 errors towards the end of MAP32 with latest Woof dev snapshot.

This one is kind of a slaughter map with 800+ enemies even on ITYTD and the last area is a large arena with tons of monsters spawning. I couldn't reliably reproduce these crashes, but once it happened while I tried to save during the fight, another time when I was hitting the exit switch (just before the Icon of Sin explosion was supposed to happen in the distant background). After it kicked me from the game and I reloaded the savegame, the last crash wouldn't happen, so I was eventually able to finish the map after all.

The readme says MAP29 and MAP32 use extended nodes, so maybe there's something special happening here that Woof cannot (fully) handle?

Edited by NightFright

yeah, "screenblocks 15" in international doom is the right blend between legacy/stock and modernized looks (imho)

On 5/23/2022 at 5:17 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

that would be me :)

and as much as I'd love to see something like that in woof, I reckon that it would be quite the effort..

dsda had a more modern starting point in the prboom+ codebase, after all.. and external huds support was pretty much lifted from that

woof on the other hand has humbler origins in winmbf and I'd think that baking that feature in is not on the immediate to-do list

I'd be happy with either of these two:

• implementation of International Doom's hud (especially the no-mugshot, widescreen variant) which should be less demanding since crispy's hud has been already ported over
  • a fourth Boom's hud variant, along the lines of what I've done with the "text-only" variant in my custom dsda hud

That's however all wishful thinking.. I do not intend to put any pressure on the devs!

Hey! Nice job with those HUDs. That's a good point about the different codebases. I tried looking on Github at how the Crispy HUD was added to Woof to see if there was anything easy I could do but this one is beyond me. It would be neat to have that external HUD system added but yeah, not a priority. Still think an offset mugshot Crispy HUD would be sick though... maybe some day.

OffsetHUD.png

Edited by pantheon : Added mock up

An observation I made with the stats widget which you can display on the top left corner of the statusbar (using latest Woof snapshot):
When you start a level and you have 0 kills, the percentage next to the monster counter is 100%. It will fix itself once you make your first kill(s). However, naturally you would expect this to start at 0%.

Github issue opened

Otherwise, the MAP32 crashes in Nova II seem to be fixed with latest snapshot. Great work!

*EDIT*
Fixed!

Edited by NightFright

I don't know if this is a bug or if it's something that has always been in MBF derived ports, but if I switch the normal BFG attack to the beta version - the barrage of projectiles sometimes disappears. If I aim at an enemy on a higher elevation (even if the enemy is just 8 units above me) - it seems to work as intended, but if I aim at an enemy on my level - the projectiles disappear (infact - I think they just drop at my feet and hit the ground).

I tested this with a very basic .deh patch:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Weapon 6 (Beta BFG)
Firing frame = 0
Shooting frame = 999

20 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

If I aim at an enemy on a higher elevation (even if the enemy is just 8 units above me) - it seems to work as intended, but if I aim at an enemy on my level - the projectiles disappear (infact - I think they just drop at my feet and hit the ground).

Hmm works for me so far. On what map are you testing on? Or could you record a demo?

I made a map where I tested this out. It has an integrated .deh patch and an integrated demo of me testing this. The demo was recorded in complevel 21, but I've also tested complevel 11 - same bug occurs.

betaBFG_bug.zip

Is there any chance of integrating Sigil, No Rest for the Living and the Master Levels into the main menus if the right pwad files are detected, like in Crispy Doom?

On 5/26/2022 at 2:40 AM, Ar_e_en said:

I made a map where I tested this out. It has an integrated .deh patch and an integrated demo of me testing this. The demo was recorded in complevel 21, but I've also tested complevel 11 - same bug occurs.

betaBFG_bug.zip

There is something wrong with our released version (Woof 9.0.0) but for some reason it works fine in the current developer version, I don't think we changed anything related to beta BFG.

10 hours ago, Doomgirl96 said:

Is there any chance of integrating Sigil, No Rest for the Living and the Master Levels into the main menus if the right pwad files are detected, like in Crispy Doom?

The Sigil episode should appear on the menu via UMAPINFO. As for integrating I don't know, no one worked on it yet.

Edited by rfomin

8 hours ago, rfomin said:

There is something wrong with our released version (Woof 9.0.0) but for some reason it works fine in the current developer version, I don't think we changed anything related to beta BFG.

That's weird. I guess I'll wait for version 10.0.0 or 9.0.1 to see if it's fixed or not.

Is it just my imagination or do the Zombieman and Sergeant have brightmapped pixels on their chins in the walking/aiming frames?

zombie_bm.jpg 

shotgunguy_bm.jpg

Edited by NightFright

14 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Is it just my imagination or do the Zombieman and Sergeant have brightmapped pixels on their chins in the walking/aiming frames?

Monster sprites are not brightmapped in Woof. 

Then those pixels probably just look like they are glowing from certain angles, I guess. Those pixels are pretty bright after all...

I dunno if it's an error in Hydrosphere, D4V or Woof!.  Or, indeed, it's just an unfortunate incompatibility but when playing through Hydrosphere with D4V the very last gate wouldn't open after killing the Cyberdemon. 

Is there anything I can do about this?

35 minutes ago, Average said:

I dunno if it's an error in Hydrosphere, D4V or Woof!.  Or, indeed, it's just an unfortunate incompatibility but when playing through Hydrosphere with D4V the very last gate wouldn't open after killing the Cyberdemon. 

Is there anything I can do about this?

Does Hydrosphere modify the Cyberdemon so it dies with the "KeenDie" death? If it does - than maybe D4V conflicts with that wad by giving the Cyberdemon it's usual death. I have heard that D4V does break some of the death actions, especially on map 07's.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I've encountered a strange issue in Woof 9.0.0 in which changing the High Resolution or Widescreen Resolution option in the in-game menu causes the display to freeze on the options menu, with sounds, keyboard operations, and game functions continuing to run. I thought it might have been some jank from unzipping a fresh release into the same folder as my older release, but no, a fresh installation had the same problem. I'm running Woof 9.0.0 in Windows 11. Happy to provide more information as needed.

41 minutes ago, Mr. Alexander said:

I'm sorry if this has been addressed earlier in the thread, but I've encountered a strange issue in Woof 9.0.0 in which changing the High Resolution or Widescreen Resolution option in the in-game menu causes the display to freeze on the options menu, with sounds, keyboard operations, and game functions continuing to run. I thought it might have been some jank from unzipping a fresh release into the same folder as my older release, but no, a fresh installation had the same problem. I'm running Woof 9.0.0 in Windows 11. Happy to provide more information as needed.

IIRC this issue got fixed in the meantime, I think it might be this:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/4f9be3f4576b040c8ef4a6820f798d9c1543ed2a

Unfortunately, unless you can compile the source code or get help from somebody else, you might have to wait for a new release.

BTW, another rename request for a menu option (hud_nosecrets):
"Hide Secrets" in Statusbar/HUD --> Heads-Up Display should be rather named "Hide Stats" since it's about the entire stats panel with kills, items and secrets. 

18 hours ago, NightFright said:

Here's latest Win64 build if you don't have a Github account to download it on your own.

Woof-9.0.0-win64.zip

Sorry to ask a GitHub-novice question, but why would I need a GitHub account to access this build? Why not include it on the publicly available Releases page? Where would I access this file if I had a GitHub account? I ask these out of curiosity, not rhetorically.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alexander said:

Why not include it on the publicly available Releases page?

Because it's work in progress and not finished. Hopefully we will make a new release soon.

If you had an account, you would find these builds conveniently precompiled for you in the "Actions" tab after clicking on latest (topmost) commit in the master branch, on the bottom of that page.

Has anyone else noticed that MAP20 of 400 Minutes of /vr/ performs badly in Woof? It's a giant circle-shaped map with a brain-like structure in its center. I haven't tried it with any other ports yet, but I was surprised to see framerates drop quite noticably in spite of only using 400p. I had improved diminishing lights on, but I dunno if that can be a factor here.

13 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Has anyone else noticed that MAP20 of 400 Minutes of /vr/ performs badly in Woof? It's a giant circle-shaped map with a brain-like structure in its center. I haven't tried it with any other ports yet, but I was surprised to see framerates drop quite noticably in spite of only using 400p. I had improved diminishing lights on, but I dunno if that can be a factor here.

Strange, I have no issues with that map.

I mean, it was playable and everything, but the game felt choppier, less smooth. It's probably nothing to worry about, though. Was just wondering whether anybody else had the same experience.

1 minute ago, NightFright said:

I mean, it was playable and everything, but the game felt choppier, less smooth. It's probably nothing to worry about, though. Was just wondering whether anybody else had the same experience.

Can you replicate the issue? If you can and it only happens on this map it might be an issue.

If not, I'd say it was probably something random, unrelated to either Woof or the WAD, like computer uptime or some nasty process spiking in the background.

I will try it in other ports and play around with Woof settings to see if it has any impact.

Something else I noticed, btw: This particular addon uses custom graphics for the keys in the statusbar (STKEYSx, arrows for keycards and circles for skull keys) which screw up the keys display in the Boom-style fullscreen HUD. In particular, when picking up a red keycard, you would have a red arrow showing up underneath the "KEY" letters.

A possible solution for such rare cases could be to have an optional override to use default Doom key graphics (for the Boom HUD only), named "Always use default keys" or something.

Edited by NightFright

@NightFright,  I just tried it out (using the latest dev build) and the map was as smooth as butter for me.  I've got a fairly good CPU though (i5 11600k) so that might mitigate any slow down that you might be suffering.  I dunno what processor you have but just thought I'd share.