Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

1 hour ago, Heck Yeah said:

If I start playing Doom 2 on Woof! with the earlier versions of Doom 2 (i.e versions before 1.9), and change the compatibility setting to Vanilla, will Woof automatically emulate the behaviour of the respective doom 2's earlier versions ?

And sir, by the way, what do you think, should Woof! have the compatibilty emulation of Doom 2's versions 1.2,1.666,1.9 just like there is in Prboom plus ?

What's the actual point of these? If you really wanted it, just use PrBoom+ instead. Didn't want to reply to this, but since you put those faces in the edit reason. Then why not.

Maybe it can be implemented, but I don't know whether this is worthwhile for those extra codes.

10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

What's the actual point of these? If you really wanted it, just use PrBoom+ instead. Didn't want to reply to this, but since you put those faces in the edit reason. Then why not.

Maybe it can be implemented, but I don't know whether this is worthwhile for those extra codes.

I was just asking that does Woof emulate the behaviour of the any doom 2, Hell on Earth versions when dragged and dropped on Woof.exe.

3 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

I guess this would have a true-color renderer as a prerequisite, right?

Either that or some "find the color in the current palette that matches color index 176 in the original palette best" algorithm. Anyway, both solutions are currently not on the agenda.

2 hours ago, Heck Yeah said:

And sir, by the way, what do you think, should Woof! have the compatibilty emulation of Doom 2's versions 1.2,1.666,1.9 just like there is in Prboom plus ?

No. Woof currently only supports complevels 2, 3, 4, 9, 11 and 21 and there are now plans to change that. Supporting all the older versions will inevitably blow up the code base and make it error prone and harder to maintain. All this for a comparable minor gain, given that PrBoom+ already has nearly 100% emulation for these levels. Choco would probably the right port to integrate full emulation, but efforts somehow have stopped in the past.

24 minutes ago, fabian said:

No. Woof currently only supports complevels 2, 3, 4, 9, 11 and 21 and there are now plans to change that. Supporting all the older versions will inevitably blow up the code base and make it error prone and harder to maintain. All this for a comparable minor gain, given that PrBoom+ already has nearly 100% emulation for these levels. Choco would probably the right port to integrate full emulation, but efforts somehow have stopped in the past.

Ok.. Nice to hear that Woof only supports Doom 2 v 1.9.

I was about to report that the death exit of MAP11 for NOVA II is broken, until I tried setting compatibility to Boom for an otherwise "limit-removing" set (mine was on MBF) and it worked. MBF and presumably MBF21 will break the death exit, which is odd because I don't think death exits can be defined as Boom specials, so is this considered unusual behavior? Or should I just set Boom to anything "limit-removing" that doesn't specify Boom-compatible (I assume this meant taking advantage of Boom specials) and MBF only for MBF-specific wads?

Usually, “limit-removing” means complevel vanilla. Personally, I play everything on complevel MBF21 and it works most of the time. But to be safe, I recommend playing PWAD at the complevel they specify in the .txt.

I asked in Crispy doom but i ask one more time in this topic: suggestion\question for pixel perfect resolution scaling\1080p? Its gonna be implemented someday?

7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I was about to report that the death exit of MAP11 for NOVA II is broken, until I tried setting compatibility to Boom for an otherwise "limit-removing" set (mine was on MBF) and it worked. MBF and presumably MBF21 will break the death exit, which is odd because I don't think death exits can be defined as Boom specials, so is this considered unusual behavior? Or should I just set Boom to anything "limit-removing" that doesn't specify Boom-compatible (I assume this meant taking advantage of Boom specials) and MBF only for MBF-specific wads?

There is a compat flag for this: comp_zombie, which is called "Zombie players can exit levels" in the menu. It is enabled by default.

17 minutes ago, fabian said:

There is a compat flag for this: comp_zombie, which is called "Zombie players can exit levels" in the menu. It is enabled by default.

Sir, dead players can exit levels is set to 'YES' while playing on complevel 2 and complevel 9 right ?

On 8/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, fabian said:

Triple resolution is unlikely to come, for example for the reasons outlined here: 

Nope, sorry, we are not going to implement more demo-incompatible features -- and especially the "walk over/under" feature in Crispy has some serious flaws when e.g. walking over monsters on moving floors or monsters walking away beneath the player, leaving them stuck in the air. 

Yeah, I saw this bug was reported by a person on Github. Hope you will get a solution to fix it permenantly in the future :)

Best luck🤘😇..

Edited by Heck Yeah

Houston we have a giant fkn problem.

I feel like I had this issue before regarding a lift that didn't raise in some other WAD from a switch, I think it was Cleimos II, turns out it was something to do with the stair building method.

It has struck again, gaslighting me into thinking I was just an idiot and didn't know what I was doing, but on MAP32: Megiddo II there is indeed another switch intended to raise stairs and it didn't work. I am on Boom complevel for an otherwise "limit-removing" wad, and the in-game options don't let me change anything, so am I just screwed or is there some way I can prevent this issue from happening again?

woof0159.png

woof0160.png

E: I should inform that I tried MBF21 and hit the switch in this area, now the stairs do build however the grey walls around this little area below as shown in the second screenshot don't lower, trapping the player!

E2: Yes, it is indeed I, am in actuality a fool, I have completely not noticed that there are actually two switches, they face opposite of each other, one controls the wall lowering and the other raises the stairs. For whatever reason in my lunacy I thought that it was one switch trying to do two things at the same time. Crisis averted, compat settings be damned I guess. Better safe than sorry!

Edited by Lila Feuer

Does the strict mode mess with any of the compatability settings for the boom and mbf comp levels?

Edited by bb2731

ehm.. sorry guys for being misleading buuut.. the issue is still there

yet another case of me jumping to conclusions, this time without paying attention to the complevel I've been using

I've set up proper test cases this time, with these results:

- complevel 2/vanilla : green waterfalls behave as expected

- complevel >= 9 : the flats' animation goes bananas

This is true for both the 10.2.0 release build and the nightlies, both before and after the integration of the PR mentioned above

The config file used was generated from scratch and all cosmetic options were set to off (uncapped framerate as well) 

it should be mentioned that @dobu gabu maru recommends a "boom-compatible" engine, so it might be that I've been equivocating on this..

could it be that the engine requirements are set as such only to ensure that an "extended-nodes capable" port is used?

Edited by Delfino Furioso

8 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

I still see the waterfalls erratically flowing upwards, when using complevel 9

Yes, it works the same way in PrBoom+. I assume it was the author's intent? In complevel 2 you disable the Boom scrollers so it works like vanilla.

8 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

uhm..

I still see the waterfalls erratically flowing upwards, when using complevel 9

As rfomin said, that's the intention! I wanted that strange juxtaposition of the eerie liquid fighting against gravity, though it does look choppy due to SFALL's regular animation speed. It's the first sign that this realm is not fit for human minds... but perhaps it was a little too effective :P

Despite the support for UMAPINFO, it seems loading a custom wad will hide the par time even if UMAPINFO defines a par time for the map.

PrBoom+ has the same problem but not GZDoom.

par.png

10 minutes ago, fabian said:

You won't get a par time if you do not set a next level. 

Interesting. Thank you.

Does this mean it's not possible to set par time for single-level WADs if you set endcast = true?

It is possible to enable a proper "Z" coordinate of my own hitscan attacks during mouselook?
Also, it is possible to "configure" a Boom's HUD to align HP, AP and stats to the left side of the screen and ammo, weapons and keys to the right side of the screen?

Edited by RastaManGames

42 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

It is possible to enable a proper "Z" coordinate of my own  hitscan attacks during mouselook?

You mean direct vertical aiming? No. 

42 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

Also, it is possible to "configure" a Boom's HUD to align HP, AP and stats to the left side of the screen and ammo, weapons and keys to the right side of the screen?

No, the HUDs are currently static. 

I still have this super-minor, almost microscopic nitpick that the rather redundant "STS" letters are shown with level stats sitting above the statusbar. It's only one line of text, so having K/I/S is enough (just like in Crispy Doom). Every pixel you can get back here counts IMHO, especially with the statusbar active.

Maybe it can either be hidden automatically in such cases or with an option (even though I think that's almost too much effort here)?

30 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Maybe it can either be hidden automatically in such cases or with an option (even though I think that's almost too much effort here)?

I guess you are right, we can kick it.