Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

13 minutes ago, drfrag said:

Missing zlib1.dll.

Ah, sorry! The build system is still WIP. 

So glad i could play test this - Try it out. Its *perfect* for those who want more than Chocolate Doom but do not want Crispy for whatever reason

The biscuit port to give to your dog. 

is some good glitchcore

That should not happen, even in RUDE it looks mostly good and it still has pretty much the vanilla renderer with a few fixes.

I think the same happened here and i applied some fix but i don't remember what i did right now.

Edit: could be "Fix rendering error casued by overflow of the rw_distance variable" or "fix overflows in R_PointToAngle() for very long distances" (with their prerequisites).

Edited by drfrag

As with @Linguica's post, there still seem to be rendering problems on very large maps (drawseg overflows?). Here's Eviternity's MAP32 (which was hard to capture, btw; any chance for PNG screenshots?):

Spoiler

Untitled.png.bdcc2408f9e42f5b10c472f11981a62c.png

I'm super stoked to see that Woof now supports maps with these node formats though!

Also, what future development can we expect with Woof? I have some suggestions but I understand staying within the project's philosophy.

@Linguica Yeah, sure, why would one want to test a new-born port with a normally sized map? ;) To be true, I have seen these glitches before, as planisf2 is my to-go map for testing compressed ZDBSP nodes (I have the WAD prepared like this lying around on my drive). But I had to get this out of development hell as soon as possible and call it 1.0 one day.

Why you felt the need to spread these glitches via Twitter is beyond me, though. Makes my new project look rather crappy, I am afraid. :/

8 hours ago, Diabolución said:

For when the sugarless variant?

What exactly?

7 hours ago, maxmanium said:

As with @Linguica's post, there still seem to be rendering problems on very large maps (drawseg overflows?). Here's Eviternity's MAP32 (which was hard to capture, btw; any chance for PNG screenshots?):

Yes, it's in the README. You'll need to put SDL2-Image.dll next to the executable. I'll probably turn this back into a hard dependency for the next release, but the build system needs to be stabilized before (kudos to @AlexMax who is currently at that).

7 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Also, what future development can we expect with Woof? I have some suggestions but I understand staying within the project's philosophy.

I think I'll fix the visual glitches first, Not sure what's next...

6 hours ago, Linguica said:

Would it be feasible to patch the Cardboard renderer wholesale into this?

Serious question?

17 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

@Redneckerz

It seems like a heavily trimmed fork of Woof.

Shoud have gone with Bark as its name, then :p

Btw Wikipage for this is up and coming, Fabian knows.

5 hours ago, fabian said:

Why you felt the need to spread these glitches via Twitter is beyond me, though. Makes my new project look rather crappy, I am afraid. :/

Because it looked cool? I was surprised it even "worked" at all, despite the visual errors. No one is expecting a v1.0.0 to support every extreme test case you can throw at it.

36 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Because it looked cool? I was surprised it even "worked" at all, despite the visual errors. No one is expecting a v1.0.0 to support every extreme test case you can throw at it.

Ah, okay then. I have mistaken this for one of those "haha look how that fails lol" postings. 

This is pretty cool - I also had to download the missing zlib1.dll as mentioned above, and for some reason it spits out an odd error when I try to drag and drop a wad onto the executable, so forgive me of my unfamiliarity. I resorted to using ZDL to launch wads and it seems to work just fine that way. Here is the error in question:

WvSKtfl.png

It's got just the right amount of options to be simple enough to understand - sort of trimmed down from what I'm used to seeing in PrBoom-Plus but that's okay, as I understand the goal of the project. It fixes a few things I wasn't too fond of in my experience with PrBoom-Plus and I've tested it on at least a few wads, it seems to hold up just fine on my end. Looking forward to future updates!

What happens if you timedemo it against prboom+, which of these is faster?

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Why not do it yourself if you want to know?

Well, these esteemed individuals already have it set up on their PCs. I don't even have the latest prboom fork.

6 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

and for some reason it spits out an odd error when I try to drag and drop a wad onto the executable, so forgive me of my unfamiliarity

This was a plain bug, thanks for reporting!