• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

Vanilla, Plutonia Revisited, MAP29, 6.2.0

I can do this across multiple PWADs.

I found the bug. Basically, when you load a vanilla complevel save, it always resets the compatibility options to Boom complevel. Thanks for the report, will be fixed in the next version.

Edited by rfomin

Have you considered adding Doom Retro's random pitch system where each thing/monster has their own seperate pitch instead of just having it happen with every sound effect?

7 hours ago, game said:

Wad: Dead But Dreaming

Compatibility set to Boom

Crashes after a moment in the welcome menu

image.png.f79ded97fcf27ac936297df713baa5c5.png

This is not a crash, just exit with an error. DBP25: Dead But Dreaming has built-in demos with UMAPINFO extension in old incompatible format (recorded in PrBoom+UM 2.5.1.7). Perhaps Woof should just ignore this error and not exit.

Simply start a new game, this WAD should work.

thanks @game for bringing that up, since I've been too lazy to do it (this is a very annoying error since I recorded those demos in good faith). This behaviour is inherited from PrBoom-plus, unfortunately, so you have to be quick with the menu whichever port you choose. Actually while I'm here and since I love giving out unsolicited advice, you should play on -complevel vanilla (or equivalent) since that's what the wad was made for.

I do have something else to whinge about -- there's also some odd STBAR behaviour with the menus. First start a new game:

doom01_small.png.76fa678297e5727c0ec86e8b355e15b2.png

then if you ESC out:

doom02_small.png.ea6875a5870843bcd8a8938b4d27b809.png

PrBoom+ doesn't do this so def a Woof! thing. I guess it only affects wads with oversized M_SKILL graphics lumps (so probably only this one) but a fix would be nice (please).

1 hour ago, dmdr said:

this is a very annoying error since I recorded those demos in good faith

I inserted the UMAPINFO headers into your demos, they now work in PrBoom+2.6um, DSDA-Doom, and Woof: dbp25demos.zip BTW, thanks for the great WAD :)

1 hour ago, dmdr said:

I guess it only affects wads with oversized M_SKILL graphics lumps (so probably only this one) but a fix would be nice (please).

I know at least two other WADs with a similar problem (HR2 and MAYhem19), so it will be fixed in the next version.

2 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

Will "Dropped Item ="  thing property be supported in the future?

It is supported since Woof 6.1.0.

3 minutes ago, rfomin said:

It is supported since Woof 6.1.0.

I did some more testing and it doesn't work if the dehacked file is loaded seperately with -bex

7 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

it doesn't work if the dehacked file is loaded seperately with -bex

Yes, you are right. There is some old MBF code that processes the deh/bex files very early for some reason. Works if in WAD or in the autoload directory.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:13 AM, Shepardus said:

This wouldn't work with the colored blood setting unless there's some feature of Woof I'm unaware of. However, you could create a separate config file for Rekkr with colored blood disabled, and in your Rekkr batch file use the "-config" parameter that all source ports support to read that config instead of your default one.

Well, the Woof'y way to do it would be to leave a dehacked.lmp file in the rekkr.wad subdirectory of your autoload directory which resets colored blood for the two monster classes for which it is enabled by default. Same for hacx.wad, though for this one I would enable green blood for the arachnatron pendant. @rfomin do you think we could add these two files to the release?

On 7/11/2021 at 12:58 AM, mikeday said:

I took a closer look at the Woof resampler code. One observation is that when converting 8-bit audio, the routine is effectively interpolating in a uint8 domain. Choco/Crispy interpolate (via libsamplerate) in a float domain. Therefore Woof is definitely introducing an extra dose of quantization noise that Choco and Crispy aren't. I suspect this might be the primary cause of the perceived difference.

Indeed! This has been fixed for the next release and reportedly, interpolated SFX still sound as desired but without the hiss:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/8bd6693a0d845325b3269936de26ad2588793c50

Thank you very much for the hint!

On 7/11/2021 at 11:52 AM, dmdr said:

Pitch recoil (makes shooting the CG immensely satisfying)

This would need prior implementation of free vertical looking.

Randomly mirrored death animations (adds a little visual freshness to the aftermath of a monster massacre)

This will be added in the next release, thanks to @rfomin.

the transparent Crispy HUD (best HUD of any port, the Boom one's OK I guess but not as easy-to-read due to the smaller numbers)

This would be just another custom HUD on top of Boom's which is already there. The Crispy HUD was merely added to Crispy Doom because there was no other reasonable fullscreen HUD available.

29 minutes ago, fabian said:

Well, the Woof'y way to do it would be to leave a dehacked.lmp file in the rekkr.wad subdirectory of your autoload directory which resets colored blood for the two monster classes for which it is enabled by default. Same for hacx.wad, though for this one I would enable green blood for the arachnatron pendant. @rfomin do you think we could add these two files to the release?

If we add patches for custom WADs to the autoload directory I have some collection:

People don't seem to be interested :)

I am just thinking about IWADs and "official"/semi-canonical PWADs. We cannot add files for all PWADs out there, that's clear. 

Thanks @fabian and @rfomin for the new feature! (also, somewhat belatedly, for the fixed demos. I am also interested in your thread btw)

I honestly didn't realise mouselook wasn't already implemented (I play kb only so it's not an option I've even looked for). The Pooch github page accuses you of having it (under 'but I want something modern and cool!') so it might be worth implementing just to meet people's expectations? the fact that I can then have my precious pitch recoil would be a bonus too.

re: the HUD, regardless of your motivations for creating it, the crispy hud is the gold standard for fullscreen doom huds, of any port. In addition to being large and easy to read, it's also easier to adjust to if you're used to the standard STBAR, isn't ugly like some other port's fullscreen huds, and doesn't obfuscate your total ammo count, which is the killer feature. I hope you'll reconsider adding it (if you can't stand the thought of having more than one custom hud in Woof! I doubt anyone will miss the Boom one all that much).

2 hours ago, dmdr said:

Thanks @fabian and @rfomin for the new feature! (also, somewhat belatedly, for the fixed demos. I am also interested in your thread btw)

I honestly didn't realise mouselook wasn't already implemented (I play kb only so it's not an option I've even looked for). The Pooch github page accuses you of having it (under 'but I want something modern and cool!') so it might be worth implementing just to meet people's expectations? the fact that I can then have my precious pitch recoil would be a bonus too.

re: the HUD, regardless of your motivations for creating it, the crispy hud is the gold standard for fullscreen doom huds, of any port. In addition to being large and easy to read, it's also easier to adjust to if you're used to the standard STBAR, isn't ugly like some other port's fullscreen huds, and doesn't obfuscate your total ammo count, which is the killer feature. I hope you'll reconsider adding it (if you can't stand the thought of having more than one custom hud in Woof! I doubt anyone will miss the Boom one all that much).

If I'm mistaken, then I can remove that part from the modern and cool section.  I use Woof for some of these PWADS but I'm also mostly a KB only player.

Edit: Fixed it :)

Edited by Gibbon

Woof does not currently support mouselook. I've always played with the mouse, but still don't like mouselook in Doom. Of course, if this is optional, this is not a problem.

idk why woof would have it to begin with. it uses the software renderer, and mouselook...you know. looks like shit in that lmao

On 7/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, fabian said:

Indeed! This has been fixed for the next release and reportedly, interpolated SFX still sound as desired but without the hiss:

You guys are doing stellar work. Woof has the best sound. Woof is simply the best source port. 

7 hours ago, roadworx said:

idk why woof would have it to begin with. it uses the software renderer, and mouselook...you know. looks like shit in that lmao

so we can have super sexy pitch recoil obvs. also plenty of software ports have it (ZDoom, Crispy, Eternity) and options are cool

Woof! 6.3.0

• Initialization of the total time counter on the intermission screen has been fixed, which affects 'complevel mbf' demo compatibility (@rfomin).
  • Resetting of the compatibility vector has been fixed when loading 'complevel vanilla' savegames (@rfomin).
  • Saving during demo playback has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Status bar refresh is enforced in the Main, Episode and Skill menus as in Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • Loading savegames during multiplayer demo playback (e.g. AV.WAD DEMO1) has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Demos without 'PR+UM' signature are now ignored (@rfomin).
  • SFX are now interpolated in a 16-bit int domain.
  • The default endpic has been fixed for UMAPINFO (@rfomin).
  • Dehacked patches from the command line are now processed after mobjinfo initialization (@rfomin).
  • Randomly mirrored death animations have been ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • Blood color patches have been added for Rekkr and Hacx (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_6.3.0/Woof-6.3.0-win32.zip

Edited by fabian

13 hours ago, fabian said:

Resetting of the compatibility vector has been fixed when loading 'complevel vanilla' savegames (@rfomin).

YAY

that was getting really annoying, so glad to see it fixed :)

Super yes, it's such a stupid behavioral flag, I don't recall what it would be most useful for but it completely broke monsters on platforms. I got lucky on Eviternity's last hell level because one of the cyberdemons was pushed halfway off the edge of one and he got stuck and wouldn't do anything anymore.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:22 AM, fabian said:

• SFX are now interpolated in a 16-bit int domain. [...]
  • Randomly mirrored death animations have been ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).

Nice. On a side note, my stutters in Eviternity were seemingly fixed with this new version. Whether that's correlation or causation I'm not entirely sure, but eh, it just works™ now.

18 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Super yes, it's such a stupid behavioral flag, I don't recall what it would be most useful for but it completely broke monsters on platforms. I got lucky on Eviternity's last hell level because one of the cyberdemons was pushed halfway off the edge of one and he got stuck and wouldn't do anything anymore.

i've heard that it has to do with boom adding conveyors and wind n stuff, but don't quote me on that

15 minutes ago, roadworx said:

i've heard that it has to do with boom adding conveyors and wind n stuff, but don't quote me on that

Yeah, you're on the nose with that one. For flats that carry things the things needed to be able to have physics that made sense. But for some reason they didn't make the change conditional, so you have monsters falling off of platforms all the time. They either forgot, or didn't get to implement it before TeamTNT fell apart.

sup dudes I'm back to moan some more

Actually, before I do that, let me say congratulations on 6.3.0 -- really enjoying the mirrored death anims, these little things help Doom still feel fresh for me so thanks heaps for putting em in!

OK moving on, I believe I've found a bug with stair builders in 6.3.0: if you check MAP08 in DBP38 there is a line at X659 Y-759 that is supposed to raise a bunch of stairs -- four sectors are tagged. In Woof with the default complevel set to MBF21 only one set actually raises (the ones that create the BFG pyramid, if you've played already). If I specify -complevel vanilla everything works fine; I figured this could be an MBF21 thing, but all the stairs raise in DSDA-Doom 0.19.7 just fine using equivalent settings. We are using an OPTIONS lump with the 'Doom 2' settings copied from here if that makes a difference -- as an MBF-derived port I'm assuming you do use OPTIONS.

Now I'm thinking about DSDA-Doom, I was going through the patch notes the other day and I noticed this:

Added COMPLVL lump support

text lump "vanilla", "boom", "mbf", or "mbf21"

sets complevel to 2-4 (based on iwad), 9, 11, or 21

the -complevel parameter still has precedence

this is an excellent idea; could you guys please support this too?