Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, pantheon said:

Keep your eye on Nugget Doom, a fork of Woof. It seems a 4x resolution option is in the works there!

They're looking for a port that supports recording of multiplayer demos. Nugget supports that, but demo compatibility in general still hasn't been thoroughly tested, so desyncs could occur.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mikeday said:

Source port developers are usually happy to elaborate on such questions but you may want to reconsider your approach here. Coming in here and dumping all over the port probably won’t have the effect you think it will. 

My apologies, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I think that it's a great port, it's just that the lack of a proper resolution option ruins it for me and my friends, and it really frustrated me, especially because they instantly lost all interest in playing Doom multiplayer afterwards. Other than that, this is probably the best vanilla port I've played next to DSDA-Doom and I think that Fabian has done a fantastic job with it, so kudos to him!

 

51 minutes ago, Alaux said:

They're looking for a port that supports recording of multiplayer demos. Nugget supports that, but demo compatibility in general still hasn't been thoroughly tested, so desyncs could occur.

Nugget Doom sounds like a great alternative, I think it will be fine if it is only, say, 99% demo-compatible, since those last few issues would probably be ironed out in the future. Definitely going to keep an eye out!

Edited by Legatron17

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Legatron17 said:

I'm surprised as well about how there isn't a single modern source port that supports multiplayer demo recording.

Are you and your friends speedrunners? I recommend Odamex, it can be tuned very close to vanilla and even supports vanilla demos playback. It records demos in its own format, but I think that's fine as long as you don't have to upload them to DSDA. Also DSDA accepts non-vanilla demos for various ports.
I wouldn't call Woof's multiplayer "modern", it's the same technology as the original Doom with a few tweaks. So it matches the "retro" look.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, rfomin said:

Are you and your friends speedrunners? I recommend Odamex, it can be tuned very close to vanilla and even supports vanilla demos playback. It records demos in its own format, but I think that's fine as long as you don't have to upload them to DSDA. Also DSDA accepts non-vanilla demos for various ports.
I wouldn't call Woof's multiplayer "modern", it's the same technology as the original Doom with a few tweaks. So it matches the "retro" look.

I've tried using Odamex but I don't really like it. It doesn't feel smooth and seems to handle network traffic rather poorly, because the server I was setting up just wouldn't stop lagging, at least in my experience. I'm generally just not that big of a fan of Odamex for various other reasons as well, which is why I was looking for a DSDA-Doom-type multiplayer experience. Woof really seemed to scratch that itch and is perfect for me in every regard except for the low resolution, which I hope Nugget Doom will provide a proper option for in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Legatron17 said:

I've tried using Odamex but I don't really like it. It doesn't feel smooth and seems to handle network traffic rather poorly, because the server I was setting up just wouldn't stop lagging, at least in my experience. I'm generally just not that big of a fan of Odamex for various other reasons as well, which is why I was looking for a DSDA-Doom-type multiplayer experience. Woof really seemed to scratch that itch and is perfect for me in every regard except for the low resolution, which I hope Nugget Doom will provide a proper option for in the near future.

Try Eternity Engine on its development branch.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/9/2023 at 1:49 PM, fabian said:

Yes, please. This would be very helpful. 

 

We tried on v10.5.1 and we didn't see the messages from other player, so this is definitely changed in v11.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

We tried on v10.5.1 and we didn't see the messages from other player, so this is definitely changed in v11.

I'm guessing I messed that up when categorizing the messages. In most cases the messages were assigned to consoleplayer, but there were a few occurrences of displayplayer. With the new code everything is assigned to the latter.

 

EDIT: Actually, it might (also) have to do with the fact that it changed from player->message to displayplayer.

Edited by Alaux

Share this post


Link to post

Hi. I have difficulty with compiling on windows (in MSYS2)

Throws error during make:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target '/ucrt64/lib/libSDL2_net.so', needed by 'src/woof'.  Stop

SDL2_net is installed and is detected by cmake

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

We tried on v10.5.1 and we didn't see the messages from other player, so this is definitely changed in v11.

Thanks for the bug report, fixed in github.

 

1 hour ago, Doomwad4444 said:

I have difficulty with compiling on windows (in MSYS2)

What CMake generator are you using? Try cmake -G Ninja

Edited by rfomin

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, rfomin said:

What CMake generator are you using? Try cmake -G Ninja

 

Thanks! It works with ninja generator.

I was using Unix Makefile generator

Edited by Doomwad4444 : nevermind. it works

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Doomwad4444 said:

I was using Unix Makefile generator

I think the "MSYS Makefiles" generator would also work.

Share this post


Link to post

Woof! 11.2.0 is released on Jun 13, 2023.

 

A complete list of new features, improvements and bug fixes can be found on the release page:

 

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/latest

 

Binaries for Windows are available here:

 

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_11.2.0/Woof-11.2.0-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_11.2.0/Woof-11.2.0-win64.zip

 

 

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Any chance to have Woof on MacOs through Homebrew, the way it is with Crispy?

We haven't found a volunteer developer with access to macOS yet.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, rfomin said:

We haven't found a volunteer developer with access to macOS yet.


I started looking into this but now that summer is underway I’ve been spending more time away from the computer. Maybe I’ll get back into it when the weather gets hotter. :-)

Share this post


Link to post

I just got back into Doom recently after many years away (I was playing it as a kid in the 90s and have had minor dalliances with it again over the years, but this is the first time in my adult life I've played through both games properly and then started looking at community-made content).

 

After trying out many different source ports, Woof! just felt "right" to me; the right mix of vanilla authenticity to satisfy my nostalgia and and modern QoL to make it look and feel great. If the dev reads this: thanks so much for Woof!, it was my gateway back into the amazing Doom universe.

Edited by Manny84 : Paragraph break

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Make IDCLEV00 restart the current map (@MrAlaux).

 

Wouldn't this break mbf21 wads which use map00 like axolotl?

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Blip said:

Wouldn't this break mbf21 wads which use map00 like axolotl?

 

The cheat checks first if MAP00 is available. 

Share this post


Link to post

so I was taking a peek at the latest github PRs and noticed you guys were investigating some performance optimizations

I quickly tried the latest win64 autobuilds using the visplane-heavy pwad provided by @Julia Nechaevskaya and wow!

 

On my i7 1260p with a 1200p 16:10 display, under win11:

- artifacts run #781 => 63fps max 

- artifacts run #782 => 85fps max

- artifacts run #784 => 106fps max

 

This is obviously with uncapped framerate, no fps limiter and no vsync

All tests performed using a cfg file generated from scratch and -NoAutoload

 

Thank you @fabian and @rfomin

 

 

Spoiler

woof-781.png.32cbf5aa823f50127f6fa45b04a76063.png

 

woof-782.png.c64fabd9f9d781f590e6d9adcbf0c5d5.png

 

woof-784.png.008b7711f3d9720b3b2b3f81378e4efe.png

 

Edited by liPillON

Share this post


Link to post

Any advice on compiling this port for mac? i've been wanting to try out the latest woof releases but those all got released during my trip out of town where my windows machine is and all I got is my macbook

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Could you please add a map scrolling speed setting? At the moment the current one seems too slow to me, :c
By the way, it would be nice to see a separation of colors on the map at the secret sectors, as in the ports DSDA Doom and Nugget Doom
Now those are the two main drawbacks of the port that alienate me from it. Otherwise, it's a great port, I love it with all my heart.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

Any advice on compiling this port for mac? i've been wanting to try out the latest woof releases but those all got released during my trip out of town where my windows machine is and all I got is my macbook

 

 

 

@fran did a short while ago for v10.5.1. In case it could help: here

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, s4f3s3x said:

 

@fran did a short while ago for v10.5.1. In case it could help: here

I've been using their fork while i was away, and I quite like it

 

I guess I should just ask them for help on how they ported it to mac

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

By the way, it would be nice to see a separation of colors on the map at the secret sectors

Yeah, this would be a nice inclusion to add. Have the discovered secret sector lines turn from pink to lime green like the other ports Vanilla has mentioned. Has this already been taken into consideration before?

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Could you please add a map scrolling speed setting? At the moment the current one seems too slow to me

Hold Shift, it will scroll faster. Also what version are you using? Starting with Woof 11.0.0, we've made automap scrolling faster in hires mode.

 

6 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

By the way, it would be nice to see a separation of colors on the map at the secret sectors, as in the ports DSDA Doom and Nugget Doom

Hmm, I'm not sure, but it seems to work the same way as in Nugget. Maybe it's some option in the automap menu?

 

7 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

Any advice on compiling this port for mac?

I don't have a Mac, but with Homebrew this seems relatively easy.

Install dependencies:

brew update
brew install git cmake ninja pkg-config sdl2 sdl2_net openal-soft libsndfile fluid-synth libxmp

Get source code with git:

git clone https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof.git
cd woof

Then configure and build with CMake:

cmake -B build -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
cmake --build build

 

Edited by rfomin : Fix brew command

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Hmm, I'm not sure, but it seems to work the same way as in Nugget. Maybe it's some option in the automap menu?

Nugget has an additional Automap color for "unrevealed secret sectors", used when map_secret_after == 0.

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, rfomin said:

I don't have a Mac, but with Homebrew this seems relatively easy.

Install dependencies:

 

[snip]

 

Thanks for the instructions, however when I went and did this formula, i got these errors:

CMake Error at /opt/homebrew/Cellar/cmake/3.26.4/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:230 (message):
  Could NOT find OpenAL (missing: OPENAL_LIBRARY OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/cmake/3.26.4/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:600 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/FindOpenAL.cmake:58 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
  CMakeLists.txt:71 (find_package)

I double-checked for all the required dependencies (including openal-soft)

Share this post


Link to post

Try to update homebrew and install pkg-config

brew update
brew install pkg-config

Then delete 'build' directory and run CMake commands again

 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Try to update homebrew and install pkg-config


brew update
brew install pkg-config

Then delete 'build' directory and run CMake commands again

 

Just did all that, even did a fresh "git clone" for woof, and I still get the same errors

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rfomin said:

Hold Shift, it will scroll faster. Also what version are you using? Starting with Woof 11.0.0, we've made automap scrolling faster in hires mode.

 

Hmm, I'm not sure, but it seems to work the same way as in Nugget. Maybe it's some option in the automap menu?

 

I don't have a Mac, but with Homebrew this seems relatively easy.

Install dependencies:


brew update
brew install git cmake ninja pkg-config sdl2 sdl2_net openal-soft libsndfile fluid-synth libxmp

Get source code with git:


git clone https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof.git
cd woof

Then configure and build with CMake:


cmake -B build -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
cmake --build build

 

Oh, thanks. I didn't know about the shift button; yep, it makes things a lot better.
Also, yeah, I meant additional color for the revealed secret; I put it a little wrong.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×