Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

It doesn't run in widescreen; the stretched image is due to a lack of aspect ratio correction in screenshots, as can be seen from other images in this thread.

I realize that widescreen HUDs may be unsupported, but even DOS MBF displays the HUD in question with only minor errors (there's a bit of overlap on the left side), rather than the garbage above.

On 1/6/2021 at 5:44 AM, Spie812 said:

It doesn't run in widescreen; the stretched image is due to a lack of aspect ratio correction in screenshots, as can be seen from other images in this thread.

Hm, would you prefer if PNG screenshots were exact reproductions of the actual game screen, as in Crispy Doom? 

On 1/6/2021 at 5:44 AM, Spie812 said:

I realize that widescreen HUDs may be unsupported, but even DOS MBF displays the HUD in question with only minor errors (there's a bit of overlap on the left side), rather than the garbage above.

Patches that exceed the screen dimensions are simply omitted if the engine is built with RANGECHECK, and Woof! is. I'll see what I can do to crop them to screen instead. 

I'm not personally bothered by the stretched screenshot, but I guess Crispy-style screenshots would be better, as I'm not sure people care too much about having the exact 640x400 pixels.

On 11/13/2020 at 1:08 PM, fabian said:

This is the "texture not power of 2 wide" problem. I think I am on it, at least I found a working solution for Crispy which I will have to port over. What I don't understand, though, are these little slime trails in the top right corner, I don't have them in Crispy, for example.

Can I ask what exactly was problem? MBF2.04 and just the same thing/problem(s):

mbf204.png.f573fd446afe057e627d54ded64eecec.png

And it seems to be fixed. Maybe I can backport fix.

29 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Why can't I properly alt-tab out of full screen anymore?

Seems to be a new Windows bug introduced in SDL 2.0.14. 

2 minutes ago, fabian said:

Seems to be a new Windows bug introduced in SDL 2.0.14. 

Well that's obnoxious.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, plums said:

@Catpho the sounds in that wad are in wav format instead of Doom's soundfile format. I don't know if that's a feature @fabian will want to support, so here's a wad with those sounds converted, load it after the main wad. (I didn't see any new chaingun/pistol sounds, btw.)

I would like to have this added!. The feature has been contributed to Crispy by @SmileTheory (and there is another open PR by him on the PrBoom+ tracker) but I haven't heard back from him for quite some time, unfortunately.

Will Woof! have other Crispy enhancements i.e. brightmaps? Also, how do you enable widescreen?

15 hours ago, JXC said:

Will Woof! have other Crispy enhancements i.e. brightmaps? Also, how do you enable widescreen?

Probably not. I am going a much more conservative approach with Woof! than with Crispy. And especially brightmaps are a feature for which no "canonical" implementation exists. They only work with IWAD assets and it's all about personal taste which areas to highlight. I am not going to "dilute" MBF's code base which a vague feature like this.

Also, there is no widescreen rendering at the moment, why do you ask?

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Also, there is no widescreen rendering at the moment, why do you ask?

Because widescreen makes the game more immersive when it fits my monitor. Sure I can use PrBoom+, but the gamma turns me off.

Widescreen rendering is one beast, supporting widescreen assets is another one. This opens a can of worms...

I have minimal programming experience but I can understand how daunting such a thing could be to implement.  When you fix one thing you can break 20 others.  But Widescreen rendering was more what I meant. Widescreen assets....a can of worms like you said.

Not to sound needy but I too would like widescreen rendering like we have with Crispy Doom.  That said if it is too much trouble and fab wants to focus on different priorities it is entirely understandable.

So... 2 problems just came up:

I switched Linux distros to Manjaro and I went to install Woof through the AUR, and I got an error message that said something along the lines of "couldn't find resource from SDL2::Image". So I went to check and sure enough - SDL2::Image wasn't installed, so I installed it. I went to the AUR to get Woof installed again and this time it installed successfully (well... almost, but I'll get to that later). Curious, I went to the /tmp/pamac/aur/woof/desc.txt file and here's what I found:

%DEPENDS%
hicolor-icon-theme
sdl2
sdl2_net
sdl2_mixer
cmake
git

No mention of SDL2::Image. So... To whomever is currently responsible for maintaining the Woof AUR: you might want to add SDL2::Image to the dependencies, because it seems that you've forgotten it :)

That was the 1st problem, but luckily - I was able to fix it! But there is a 2nd problem - the music doesn't work on Woof. Everything else works fine, but there's no music. Is there another SDL2 file that is missing? Is it something I did? 

Sdl2_Mixer on Linux uses fluidsynth internally. This in turn needs a soundfont installed, either in a known location defined at compile time or in a location pointed to by an environment variable. Anyway, your distribution is supposed to have this set up for you. [At least we do in Debian, just saying. ;) ]

Thank you! It took a while, but after messing with the config files of fluidsynth and bashrc, one computer restart later - Woof greets me with a heartattack! Music works now!

Yay :D

Finished a playthrough of Eviternity on Woof 3.1.0! Everything seems to be in order, however, after beating map 24 and going to map 25 - the game started to lag and stutter (granted, that map has too much detail, so it slowing down is understandable). Weird thing is - the problem somehow fixed itself after I relaunched the program and loaded my save on map 25, so this might just have something to do with the maps transitioning from one to another? That or this is something so specific and/or rare that it's not even worth mentioning.

There is another problem that I noticed on map 25 - the lowering invisible bridge was kinda glitchy.

doom04.png.44e32b94eca88832d5160ee52c6a1058.png

There isn't supposed to be a brick texture there, it's supposed to be invisible both when the bridge is stationary and when it's moving down after pressing the 4 switches. That texture was also flashing between being visible and invisible.

On an unrelated note - does Woof have a "tntem" command (a command introduced in the Boom source port that kills all monsters in the map)? I don't think it has, but it would be nice to have when testing levels.

20 hours ago, Ar_e_en said:

Finished a playthrough of Eviternity on Woof 3.1.0! Everything seems to be in order, however, after beating map 24 and going to map 25 - the game started to lag and stutter (granted, that map has too much detail, so it slowing down is understandable). Weird thing is - the problem somehow fixed itself after I relaunched the program and loaded my save on map 25, so this might just have something to do with the maps transitioning from one to another? That or this is something so specific and/or rare that it's not even worth mentioning.

Hm, maybe there's a memory leak that went unnoticed so far.

There isn't supposed to be a brick texture there, it's supposed to be invisible both when the bridge is stationary and when it's moving down after pressing the 4 switches. That texture was also flashing between being visible and invisible.

Might have to do with the texture composition overhaul. This will need some more investigation...

On an unrelated note - does Woof have a "tntem" command (a command introduced in the Boom source port that kills all monsters in the map)? I don't think it has, but it would be nice to have when testing levels.

It's called "KILLEM" in MBF. I guess Lee wanted to get rid of any mention of TNT in his port.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

It's called "KILLEM" in MBF. I guess Lee wanted to get rid of any mention of TNT in his port.

Huh... I didn't know that.

Found an interesting thing while I was playing around with Woof recording a demo of Czechbox Map 8 which is boom compatible.  There is a part in a cave with a gap, the bridge is raised hitting a button in the pit.  In Woof it only goes up about half way but in DSDA Doom with complevel 9 it works normally.  I tested Doom Retro and LZDoom as well just to see if I could replicate the issue in other ports, but the only time I had an issue was when I forgot to set the right compat mode in LZDoom, a quick flip to Boom Strict and it worked properly.

It seems maybe I have something messed up in the compat settings, but not sure what it would be as I doubt Woof would have a problem here.

doom00.png

I love this port!

I would like to know if there is a possibility to introduce a command, like prboom's solo-net, to play a single-player game with the features of a coop game?

If that possibility already exists, what would the command be?

p.s. thx Fabian for add the -pistolstart option in this port too

On 2/18/2021 at 7:06 AM, fabian said:

or probably a reference to, Lee KILLough, himself as the maker of the port :P

2 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

or probably a reference to, Lee KILLough, himself as the maker of the port :P

Nah, fabian's right. All cheats in MBF have their TNT prefix removed.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:12 AM, Eric Claus said:

It seems maybe I have something messed up in the compat settings, but not sure what it would be as I doubt Woof would have a problem here.

It's astonishing to see how many compatiblity issues MBF has with respect to Boom. Anyway, they are currently worked on and Boom compatibility should be close to 100% for the next release. However, during the course of fixing these, we also found a couple compatbility issues in PrBoom+ with the complevels it is supposed to emulate. For example, the `0` in the lines that have the "//jff 8/14/98 texture 0 is a placeholder" comment should actually be `1` in Boom (they are `0` only in MBF, though):

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/blob/master/prboom2/src/p_spec.c#L694