Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

How does "rescue dying friends" work? I know this is from the original MBF source but I'm just now noticing Lee's (honestly pretty cool) additions to enemy AI, but I can't really seem to find anything on what it changes.

I'd also like to request that the autoloaded wads\DEHACKED patches are loaded before those in the command line -- mostly for the sprite fixing project.

19 hours ago, maxmanium said:

I'd also like to request that the autoloaded wads\DEHACKED patches are loaded before those in the command line -- mostly for the sprite fixing project.

In general, I agree. However, for some unknown reason, Lee explicitly decided to load them last:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/blob/583e6d2196438bc8099abd41eeb2f844b519ba51/Source/d_main.c#L1742

Edit: I guess I figured it out. DEHACKED lumps are processed from last to first, so it actually makes sense to load "preloaded" DEH files last - their changes will be overridden by DEHACKED lumps included in WADs and DEH files loaded from the command line. WAD files, however, are loaded in order and thus override each other. Now, what happens with DEHACKED lumps in WAD files? If preloaded WAD files contain DEHECKED lumps, these will get processed last if the WAD files are loaded first. I guess that's what Lee wanted to avoid by loading "preloaded" WAD files last - this way makes sure that their embedded DEHACKED lumps will be processed first.

Edited by fabian

Been using Woof! for a few weeks now,  I heard talk about it in another topic, and I thought to myself: "What the hell is Woof!?"

I was curious. A new port? I never used Marines Best Friend, but I did manage to try it out for "historical purposes". I thought it was a decent port, for the time.

I recently switched from using GZDoom: to Crispy Doom (for purist reasons.) And then when I tried Woof!, I fell in love immediately. 

Now all I use on a daily basis: is Crispy and Woof.

Please continue to release new versions! excited to see the progress!

I'm probably about to sound like a complete nonce but... how do I actually run "WooF!"?

When I downloaded what I thought was the main files, there wasn't any .exe file in the folders. I thought it may have needed WinMBF to work but that did nothing (WinMBF just worked like usual).  Any idea what I'm supposed to do? :S

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

I'm getting a "Bad V_CopyRect" crash with Pathogen after taking any significant amount of damage. Something to do with the status bar face?

Yeah, the vertical offsets on some of the images are a pixel too low, which is enough to go past the intended drawing area. STFST3* being one example, the y offset is -2 but the original statusbar face is only -1 on that one. This isn't a problem unique to Woof, occasionally PrBoom+ will crash too (but not always, depends on your system and which PrB+ version?). If you don't want to fix it yourself, maybe Crunchynut will if you post in that thread?

1 hour ago, plums said:

Yeah, the vertical offsets on some of the images are a pixel too low, which is enough to go past the intended drawing area. STFST3* being one example, the y offset is -2 but the original statusbar face is only -1 on that one. This isn't a problem unique to Woof, occasionally PrBoom+ will crash too (but not always, depends on your system and which PrB+ version?). If you don't want to fix it yourself, maybe Crunchynut will if you post in that thread?

Still seems to crash on STFST1* (STFKILL1?) even after fixing it.

EDIT: It's definitely STFKILL1. Even SLADE keeps crashing when I try to zoom or move the image...

Edited by maxmanium

I have just released Woof! 2.3.0:

• Binaries are now built with optimization flags and debugging information (stripped for release).
  • A "secret" option to force integer video scaling factors has been added ("integer_scaling").
  • A mouse button binding for the "Use" action has been added. Double click acting as "Use" has been made optional.
  • The "Ouch Face" and the "Picked up a Medikit that you really need" message are now shown as intended.

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_2.3.0/Woof-2.3.0-win32.zip

You may have to rebind your mouse buttons!

Edited by fabian

15 hours ago, fabian said:

A mouse button binding for the "Use" action has been added. Double click acting as "Use" has been made optional.

My man! Thanks for this.

I am using Woof! 2.1.0 currently due to my in-progress playthrough of Icarus: Alien Vanguard and on MAP29: Brutality I've ran into a game stopper due to this switch doing nothing (it's suppose to raise the floor you're on in order to get to the switch up there). The other one opposite of me was the first of such switch/platform raising and it worked whereas this one won't budge. This is a vanilla megawad from 1996 so I've no idea what could've went wrong but looks like I'm noclipping.

doom00.png

doom01.png

E: This area is all kinds of screwed up, I had to noclip two more times as I couldn't get to other switches, again from the floors not raising. Also don't ask me why DW made this text blue.

Edited by Lila Feuer

It looks like those switches are stair builders? IIRC the algorithm for building stairs is a little different in Boom/MBF. Under Options->Setup->Doom Compatibility->2nd Page->"Use exactly Doom's stairbuilding method", is it set to yes?

edit: I can confirm the stairs build only when that stairbuilding compat option is set to NO, which I think is not the default. This is also the case for PrBoom+ with complevel 11. So, "working as intended" I guess, though maybe the default should be changed (if it doesn't mess up Boom/MBF stairs that is...)

Edited by plums

Would you be willing to move the automap stats down a line a la Crispy? Just so the messages don't overlap the kill counter.

23 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Also, MAP07 intermission text of Eviternity is broken on Woof.

Looks like the text goes off-screen for a non-widescreen display (Eviternity's fault) but after doing so Woof ignores all subsequent characters including newlines (probably a bug).

Ayyo, any plans to get a Discord server up for this port? I was able to finally build it on Arch Linux using the instructions on the GitHub page and help from a guy in a Discord server telling me how to run it. Everything seems to be working except for the music for some reason.

On 9/26/2020 at 12:02 AM, maxmanium said:

Would you be willing to move the automap stats down a line a la Crispy? Just so the messages don't overlap the kill counter.

Sure, this was an oversight, it was meant to be this way in the first place.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:37 AM, plums said:

Looks like the text goes off-screen for a non-widescreen display (Eviternity's fault) but after doing so Woof ignores all subsequent characters including newlines (probably a bug).

I have implemented Crispy's approach to insert a newline right in front of the last word if a line is detected to exceed screen width.

11 hours ago, thearcaalex said:

From map 27 of Eviternity, played with the last version

This seems to be the known "texture width not a power of 2" problem.

11 hours ago, thearcaalex said:

This happens when I'm crossing the bridge

Where exactly on the map is this? Could you post a screenshot of the Automap when that happens?

11 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

The Eviternity demos also do some funky stuff. They keep auto pausing and spinning in place.

The demos haven't been recorded with MBF compatibility. This is what PrBoom+ prints when playing back the internal DEMO1:

G_DoPlayDemo: playing demo with Current PrBoom compatibility

I will have to add a check for demo versions >= 210 and just skip these demos.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:59 AM, fabian said:

Automap coordinates are always enabled in MBF. This switch merely affects follow mode. If the latter is disabled, it decides whether the coordinates of the player arrow or of the screen center are displayed. 

Is there some reason for this? I'd nearly forgotten about this port and have been enjoying it recently, although I wish those automap coordinates could be switched off.

[EDIT] When playing Doom II for some reason I got a crash when I finished up MAP11. I've no idea how I triggered it but this was the error report:

xt0AZdb.png

[EDIT] Another error this time on MAP27 of Doom II - the stairs won't build after flipping the switch by the yellow door (the sector 8 switch specifically).

Edited by valkiriforce