Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

I remember back in this ports infancy when it had just been released that I'd asked whether it would support widescreen rendering and this was the response.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, fabian said:

Well, no, this port doesn't have a widescreen rendering mode - and will most probably never get.

I haven't really checked this thread in quite some time but it appears that the mission statement of being entirely faithful to the original MBF has been somewhat blurred here with colored blood, randomly mirrored corpses and other quality of life features added.

What exactly is the mission statement of this port now? I figured Crispy was the port which featured these extras but a lot of them are now seemingly in Woof now too. Not that I'm complaining, but there appears to be a wildly different sense of direction with this source port now.

4 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

What exactly is the mission statement of this port now? I figured Crispy was the port which featured these extras but a lot of them are now seemingly in Woof now too. Not that I'm complaining, but there appears to be a wildly different sense of direction with this source port now.

IMO the change of path that Fabian and Roman gave to the port has been fantastic, it does not stop looking like the natural path of development that MBF would have followed

I love this kind of development philosophy:

On 9/7/2021 at 6:26 AM, fabian said:

To summarize, feature suggestions are decided on a case-by-case basis. If you ask yourself "would Lee Killough want this in his next version of MBF?" (granted, I have never met him) and the answer is "yes, sure, why not" then it's probably worth a try. ;)

9 minutes ago, AntonLiniares said:

Any way for NRFL to play the correct music? 

With the midipack? you need to load the UMAPINFO patch, in the prboom version of the midipack it's included.

I attach the UMAPINFO file.

nerve.zip

18 minutes ago, toxic.rat said:

With the midipack? you need to load the UMAPINFO patch, in the prboom version of the midipack it's included.

I attach the UMAPINFO file.

nerve.zip

Thanks it seems that the problem is the file umapinfo.lmp inside of autload/nerve.wad

If you delete it, the music of the MIDI pack plays but the names of the levels are lost in the automap, I replaced the file with the one you shared and everything works as it should. But it seems that the original music does not work correctly no matter what, the music sounds in the order of Doom 2.

4 minutes ago, AntonLiniares said:

Thanks it seems that the problem is the file umapfile.lmp inside of autload/nerve.wad

If you delete it, the music of the MIDI pack plays but the names of the levels are lost in the automap, I replaced the file with the one you shared and everything works as it should. But it seems that the original music does not work correctly no matter what, the music sounds in the order of Doom 2. 

the umapinfo file of nerve.wad shouldn't cause problems with the midipack.

what version of the midipack are u using? attached this which does not produce any problem in woof.

nrftl_midipack.wad.zip

nrftl_midipack_prboomplus.zip has been updated since I tested it. The problem is that it now has a UMAPINFO that only contains the "music" and "skytexture" fields, which is fine for PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom because they have hardcoded support for NERVE.WAD. Woof supports NERVE.WAD via autoload/umapinfo.lmp, and when it is overwritten by the UMAPINFO lump from the midipack, it loses the levelnames and some other info. I'll try to fix it, thanks for the report.

11 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

I have to give credit to @rfomin for taking this port into a whole new direction and pushing it farther than I ever dreamt of. My original vision was to make this a port of MBF into the "modern world" and fix some of the most annoying bugs on the way.

When Roman joined the development he came with many more ideas and implemented (or ported over) features with such a pace that I just couldn't resist. Nowadays, I'd even dare to say this port - together with DSDA-Doom - is spearheading the development of new modding features and compatibility fixes.

11 hours ago, game said:

In The UAC Rebellion you can't hear the pistol.

I think I found the bug, thanks.

11 hours ago, game said:

In Cosmogenesis the pistol/chaingun sound is broken.

Eh, again I can't hear what the problem is.

5 minutes ago, rfomin said:

I think I found the bug, thanks.

Eh, again I can't hear what the problem is.

My fault, sorry. I briefly played it in some other port and thought it didn't sound like someone banging on sheet metal, assuming it was a bug in Woof.

Looks like it's supposed to sound like that. I'm glad you found the problem on that Doomkid's wad, I'm pretty sure it reoccurred somewhere else too but I can't recall now.

I've been messing around with different sourceports, trying to find the sweet spot between crispy software graphics and widescreen support, and Woof! seems the best by far! I do have a couple questions, one being, is it possible to bind Run to one of the thumb buttons on a mouse?  I've tried doing it myself, but it doesn't register when trying to bind it. If nothing else, I can set up a profile for Woof! with Shift bound to the mouse button I want.

And the other, is this line off to the left of the pistol a Woof! glitch or something normal in Doom? Figured I'd bring it up, just in case it's not intentional and needs to be fixed.

319ffcc7-c968-492b-8bf7-0c11578ab068.png.5ace6ab8bf4e4fa42c9285047fcacecb.png

5 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I had a vague hunch it was something caused by Doom itself, but I remember this glitch now. Might have seen it in a video about glitches in Doom, but I can't quite remember.

I saw this when I was testing SIGIL in Sprinkled Doom yesterday.  Gotta love the slime trails.

Just now, Gibbon said:

I saw this when I was testing SIGIL in Sprinkled Doom yesterday.  Gotta love the slime trails.

I rarely see them myself, probably due to however other sourceports I use work. That wiki link did mention that some sourceports work in ways that make those slime trails non-existent to the player, but others don't because of their vanilla-oriented design.

5 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

is it possible to bind Run to one of the thumb buttons on a mouse?

This is not possible at the moment, but we are working on improving the key bindings.

9 minutes ago, rfomin said:

This is not possible at the moment, but we are working on improving the key bindings.

I'll keep an eye on the thread/github for updates, then! I worked around it for now by making a profile for Woof! in my mouse software and binding Run to C and then binding C to the mouse button I wanted. 

Woof! 7.0.0 is released on Sep 27, 2021

• Options loaded from a PWAD are now disabled in the menu instead of merely skipped (@rfomin).
  • Trim trailing spaces off the demo footer.
  • OPL emulation based on Nuked OPL3 Version1.8 has been ported over from Chocolate Doom.
  • Avoid namespace clash with the time symbol, e.g. on SmartOS.
  • Use unambigious integer types in the BMP screenshot saving code.
  • The Alt-Tab bug workaround has been extended to SDL 2.0.16 (@rfomin).
  • The actual sample frequency is now fed back into snd_samplerate config variable.
  • Native Windows MIDI support has been implemented, replacing woof-midiproc (@rfomin).
  • The demo_version value is now logged in P_SetupLevel().
  • Don't change MUSINFO music if nomusicparm is set (@rfomin).
  • Fix wrong generalised door sounds (@rfomin).
  • Fix the Boom elevators movement interpolation (@rfomin).
  • Enable cosmetic compatibility options for all complevels, i.e. comp_blazing, comp_doorlight and comp_skymap (@rfomin).
  • Next level key also skips the current demo (@rfomin).
  • cmake: always unzip SDL2 binaries in build directory (@melak47).
  • Fix M_PAUSE graphics location in hires mode (@rfomin).
  • Make keyed doors flash on the automap, ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • Keep the map static in overlay mode if not following the player.
  • Implement DSDHacked support (@rfomin).
  • Fix the dehacked string replacement behavior (@rfomin).
  • Fixed a bug in DeHackEd string replacements with a length of exactly four (@JadingTsunami).
  • Add comp_voodooscroller, MBF21 v1.3 update (@rfomin).
  • Demo features (@rfomin).
    • If a new game is started during demo recording, start a new demo.
    • Add key to finish demo recording.
    • Count spawned monsters
    • Add demo file name suffix counter, rngseed is generated before restart recording.
  • Use SDL functions to load a WAV lump (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_7.0.0/Woof-7.0.0-win32.zip

Looks like a really nice update. OPL3 midi is definitely worth trying out for those seeking a super retro experience.

I can't help but think that somehow the graphics are even crispier than before (better). Please don't break my delusion. 

It's possible that the elevators won't do that ear piercing howl in some custom maps. They used to be pretty loud.

I think I'm unable to start a recorded demo. Woof exits a split second after launching.

"If a new game is started during demo recording, start a new demo." - what does that mean? 

16 minutes ago, game said:

"If a new game is started during demo recording, start a new demo." - what does that mean? 

Basically, the restart level key also restarts the demo recording. One of the features for speedrunners that @ZeroMaster010 mentioned.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, fabian said:

Woof! 7.0.0 is released on Sep 27, 2021

• Options loaded from a PWAD are now disabled in the menu instead of merely skipped (@rfomin).
  • Trim trailing spaces off the demo footer.
  • OPL emulation based on Nuked OPL3 Version1.8 has been ported over from Chocolate Doom.
  • Avoid namespace clash with the time symbol, e.g. on SmartOS.
  • Use unambigious integer types in the BMP screenshot saving code.
  • The Alt-Tab bug workaround has been extended to SDL 2.0.16 (@rfomin).
  • The actual sample frequency is now fed back into snd_samplerate config variable.
  • Native Windows MIDI support has been implemented, replacing woof-midiproc (@rfomin).
  • The demo_version value is now logged in P_SetupLevel().
  • Don't change MUSINFO music if nomusicparm is set (@rfomin).
  • Fix wrong generalised door sounds (@rfomin).
  • Fix the Boom elevators movement interpolation (@rfomin).
  • Enable cosmetic compatibility options for all complevels, i.e. comp_blazing, comp_doorlight and comp_skymap (@rfomin).
  • Next level key also skips the current demo (@rfomin).
  • cmake: always unzip SDL2 binaries in build directory (@melak47).
  • Fix M_PAUSE graphics location in hires mode (@rfomin).
  • Make keyed doors flash on the automap, ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • Keep the map static in overlay mode if not following the player.
  • Implement DSDHacked support (@rfomin).
  • Fix the dehacked string replacement behavior (@rfomin).
  • Fixed a bug in DeHackEd string replacements with a length of exactly four (@JadingTsunami).
  • Add comp_voodooscroller, MBF21 v1.3 update (@rfomin).
  • Demo features (@rfomin).
    • If a new game is started during demo recording, start a new demo.
    • Add key to finish demo recording.
    • Count spawned monsters
    • Add demo file name suffix counter, rngseed is generated before restart recording.
  • Use SDL functions to load a WAV lump (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_7.0.0/Woof-7.0.0-win32.zip

Big shot update right here and DSDHacked support to boot. Woof! is a port of all seasons and one of few that supports every new standard on the market.

Rfomin's help has been immense i can tell. Woof! essentially did the impossible task that WinMBF never achieved: Becoming a feature rich, MBF-based Windows port that takes it further into the century.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:13 PM, DavetheDoomguy said:

I rarely see them myself, probably due to however other sourceports I use work. That wiki link did mention that some sourceports work in ways that make those slime trails non-existent to the player, but others don't because of their vanilla-oriented design.

In a nutshell: Hardware-accelerated source ports (i.e; those that render with OpenGL/D3D/Vulkan) will have these fixed pretty much completely on the basis that proper rendering requires fully closed polygons.

Software-based source ports do not have this "luxury" as it were; as a result, they still have the slime trails. Many source ports moved from integer coordinates to fixed-point coordinates, which greatly reduces the amount and severity of slime trails (by providing for more finer-grained/decimal coordinates), but essentially any software-rendered Doom engine is going to have these as an inherent part of the system due to how BSP works, and so really all the level designer can do is tweak their designs and adjust their maps to try to minimize it, but it will fundamentally always be there in some form.

Sorry for this dumb question. Is there a way to force -shorttics during normal gameplay? I put -shorttics as a command and it doesn't force it.

12 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Is there a way to force -shorttics during normal gameplay?

Currently no. We can add that.

13 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Currently no. We can add that.

Ah, OK. Hopefully it will become something soon. It's a very nice looking port even though I mostly will still use DSDA-Doom for the stuff, but it's nice to look at a more original looking port.