Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

I have problems with demo desync in woof with the use of -complevel parameter. I have been recording demos of games with -complevel vanilla and on two occasions there have already been desync of them, even playing them from woof! In versions prior to 5.0 it had not happened to me and I dunno if it will be something that will occur also using the -complevel mbf

6 minutes ago, toxic.rat said:

I have been recording demos of games with -complevel vanilla and on two occasions there have already been desync of them, even playing them from woof!

Please tell me more detail - which WAD / IWAD map? Or better attach a demo with desync. I'm pretty confident about demo playback (I tested an almost complete dsda archive), but I may have forgotten something while implementing complevels.

13 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Please tell me more detail - which WAD / IWAD map? Or better attach a demo with desync. I'm pretty confident about demo playback (I tested an almost complete dsda archive), but I may have forgotten something while implementing complevels. 

Doom Zero with the doom2 iwad, I have problems with map01 and map03, I deleted the map01 lmp, but attached the demo of the map03

doomzero03.zip

Edit: my problem, more than demo playback, is with demo recording.

This needs some investigation. I tried to record demos myself on map01, map03 but all of them in sync. Meanwhile, I suggest delete config file, it may help.

I deleted the configuration file, I'll let u know if I have problems again

I now have another question, launching the game with the parameter -complevel vanilla, the Pain Elementals don't have the limit of 20 lost souls, that's something always supposed to be configured manually or it should come pre-configured when playing in vanilla complevel?

1 hour ago, toxic.rat said:

-complevel vanilla, the Pain Elementals don't have the limit of 20 lost souls

Oops, we missed that, thanks for the report! We'll fix this in the next release.

5 hours ago, rfomin said:

This needs some investigation. I tried to record demos myself on map01, map03 but all of them in sync. Meanwhile, I suggest delete config file, it may help.

Even having deleted the config file, there is desync when recording demos of the map03, I attach two desync demos in case it helps them

demos-doomzero.zip

On 4/11/2021 at 5:33 AM, rfomin said:

On 4/12/2021 at 2:19 AM, fabian said:

Sure, but why don't you just load the map patch?

This bug has been solved when play with -complevel vanilla? if not, are you planning to fix it like prboom+ does when play with a vanilla complevel?

We are trying to be as Vanilla compatible as possible in "-complevel vanilla". Which fix in PrBoom+ are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, fabian said:

We are trying to be as Vanilla compatible as possible in "-complevel vanilla". Which fix in PrBoom+ are you referring to? 

The map 20 of BTSX 2 run perfectly in prboom+ in vanilla complevels (2, 3, 4) without the patch, but aren't in boom or mbf complevels, this because prboom+ use the same blockmap code (or emulate this) from vanilla doom in these complevels. My question is if in the vanilla complevel of Woof you're trying to emulate the vanilla engine even in the blockmap compatibility

23 minutes ago, toxic.rat said:

My question is if in the vanilla complevel of Woof you're trying to emulate the vanilla engine even in the blockmap compatibility

This map works in Woof's complevel vanilla without patch.

1 hour ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Hi @fabian the track "Smells like burning corpse" from TNT evilution map 02 is borked in the latest version of WOOF, it plays the infamous cursed version instead of the correct one.

Fixed in GIT, thanks!

1 minute ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

No problem, did you also fixed the problem with .cfg not generating when put in folder with non-latin username?

@rfomin fixed that some days ago

Woof! 5.1.0

• The flashing disc icon position has been fixed in wide screen mode (@rfomin).
  • The double binding of the "menu up" and "menu down" keys has been removed.
  • Texture offsets are now always recalculated.
  • Path names with Unicode encoding are now supported on Windows (@rfomin).
  • The "Next Level" key has been fixed for Episode 4 (@rfomin).
  • An end-of-line character mismatch has been fixed in the Dehacked string parser.
  • Demo compatibility when recording in Vanilla mode has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • The REJECT table overflow emulation from PrBoom+/Chocolate Doom has been ported over (@rfomin).
  • MIDI controller values are now clamped into the [0..127] range, fixing MUS music for e.g. TNT MAP02.
  • In Vanilla and Boom complevels some entries in the Setup menu are now disabled if they don't apply (@rfomin).
  • 64 MB of RAM are now allocated by default (@rfomin).
  • The widescreen offsets for the Advanced HUD and custom messges has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Extended HELP screens have been fixed and HELP screens are now loaded from PWADs, if available (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_5.1.0/Woof-5.1.0-win32.zip

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Woof! 5.1.0

• The flashing disc icon position has been fixed in wide screen mode (@rfomin).
  • The double binding of the "menu up" and "menu down" keys has been removed.
  • Texture offsets are now always recalculated.
  • Path names with Unicode encoding are now supported on Windows (@rfomin).
  • The "Next Level" key has been fixed for Episode 4 (@rfomin).
  • An end-of-line character mismatch has been fixed in the Dehacked string parser.
  • Demo compatibility when recording in Vanilla mode has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • The REJECT table overflow emulation from PrBoom+/Chocolate Doom has been ported over (@rfomin).
  • MIDI controller values are now clamped into the [0..127] range, fixing MUS music for e.g. TNT MAP02.
  • In Vanilla and Boom complevels some entries in the Setup menu are now disabled if they don't apply (@rfomin).
  • 64 MB of RAM are now allocated by default (@rfomin).
  • The widescreen offsets for the Advanced HUD and custom messges has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Extended HELP screens have been fixed and HELP screens are now loaded from PWADs, if available (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_5.1.0/Woof-5.1.0-win32.zip

@rfomin hard at work dissecting the various Boom builds, thanks for this. Glad i was able to help on that one.

For those unaware, Extended HELP is a undocumented feature in Boom that allows HELP01 to HELP99 lumps be used for text and graphics. Because of this, you can thus include full on stories and graphics through these lumps. @fraggle, who else, brought this to light and made a WAD for it in January 2020.

The difference now is that Doom2.wad can also be used i believe.

In general:

Thank you for this wonderful port, Fabian and associated authors. Woof is a great new way to play Doom and really stable aswell. This is one of my ports to choice whenever to play something more extensive beyond Vanilla.

I was wondering, since woof has its own watermap.wad, could the sw1/2dirt texture be fixed, without affecting compatibility ?

32 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

I was wondering, since woof has its own watermap.wad, could the sw1/2dirt texture be fixed, without affecting compatibility ?

Sorry, this needs more context. What is wrong with SW1/2DIRT and what does the WATERMAP lump have to do with it?

I just did a test and I've found that fixing watermap.wad has no effect.

To clarify anyway, open up watermap.wad, or doom2.wad for that matter, with XWE or SLADE3, and compare sw1dirt to sw2dirt in the texture1 lump.

You will notice that the brown outer area is different in both, causing the change when used.

Woof! 6.0.0

• Support for the MBF21 complevel has been added, compliant to Rev 1.2 of the spec (@rfomin).
  • Support for the label field has been added to the UMAPINFO implementation, bumping compliance to Rev 2 of the spec (@rfomin).
  • Support for ExM0 maps has been fixed, the INTERPIC patch is used for intermission screens for episode > 3 (@rfomin).
  • Support for autoloading from PWAD autoload directories has been added (@rfomin).
  • Support for deleting savegames from the menu has been added (@rfomin).
  • The "next level" key has been fixed for the last map in a UMAPINFO sequence (@rfomin).
  • UMAPINFO lumps have been added to get autoloaded for MASTERLEVELS.WAD, NERVE.WAD, E1M4B.WAD and E1M8B.WAD (@rfomin).
  • Parsing of the episode field in the UMAPINFO implementation has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Support for backward compatible savegames has been added (@rfomin).
  • The colored blood feature has been ported over from PrBoom+ (@rfomin).
  • The "Enemies" menu is not completely disabled in the Vanilla complevel anymore (@rfomin).
  • The Automap overlay and rotate modes have been ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • An option has been added to always show level stats.
  • The UMAPINFO demo extension has been added (@rfomin).
  • The ability to keep the default intermission screen for a map with an UMAPINFO entry has been fixed (@rfomin).
  • Map entries without a 'levelname' field in their UMAPINFO entry now fall back to the default map title (@rfomin).
  • The ability to set 'partime' with an UMAPINFO entry has been fixed (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_6.0.0/Woof-6.0.0-win32.zip

I have an AlphaServer 5305 with dual EV56 CPUs, running Debian 5; much of the infrastructure has been upgraded from source, along with SDL2, targeting the EV56 CPU (which has byte/word/dword access instructions). This is a real whacko edge-case, a real dog's dinner (sorry :)), so I am expecting trouble.

When I start the program, it says "Failed to initialize SDL library."  The graphics card is an old one and its OpenGL feature set is not supported here, so framebuffer graphics using GLX. It'll be slow, but should work. With Chocolate, I had to set something up to do that. Is there any way get Woof! to tell me why it couldn't initialise SDL?

EDIT: After the inevitable Google/StackOverflow session, I patched i_main.c like this:

if(SDL_Init(INIT_FLAGS) == -1)
{
   puts("Failed to initialize SDL library.\n  ");
   puts(SDL_GetError());
   puts("\n");
   return -1;
}

And it reported that joystick support wasn't enabled in SDL. That's correct, I never use joysticks or controllers, so didn't build it into SDL. So I rebuilt with

#define BASE_INIT_FLAGS (SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) //| SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK)

And it worked fine. So I'll report the SDL error thing formally on the Git repo. As for joysticks, I realise self-builders are an edge-case even on modern systems, so perhaps there's no point in having Woof! check if joysticks are enabled. I'll just use my 'hacked' Woof! for now :)

Edited by Martin Howe

11 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

The graphics card is an old one and its OpenGL feature set is not supported here, so framebuffer graphics using GLX.

Try setting 'page_flip' to 0 in woof.cfg, it should disable hardware acceleration. Wow, a very exotic system.

4 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Try setting 'page_flip' to 0 in woof.cfg, it should disable hardware acceleration. Wow, a very exotic system.

Ah, ninja'd :) Thanks, but as you'll see above, it turned out to be something more mundane :)

As for the exotic system, 'project' thread on ZDoom, in case anyone cares :)

On 5/14/2021 at 2:44 PM, Redneckerz said:

For those unaware, Extended HELP is a undocumented feature in Boom that allows HELP01 to HELP99 lumps be used for text and graphics. Because of this, you can thus include full on stories and graphics through these lumps. @fraggle, who else, brought this to light and made a WAD for it in January 2020.

The difference now is that Doom2.wad can also be used i believe.

Ooo~

This sounds useful!

Please can anyone tell me how to get Woof! to play music on Linux? I built Woof! 6.0.0 from source and have SDL2_mixer (indeed, it's required merely to compile Woof!), with many sound formats enabled; the system also has timidity++ for MIDI which ZDoom is fine with; but when I play the game, I get sound but no music.

It says "I_initMusic: Using SDL_mixer" but no music is heard. Am I missing something in the .cfg file? It's currently got music set to auto-detect.

Woof (as far as I know) only works with fluidsynth, which also requires a sf2 soundfont. I might be able to help you, but I need to look up my config files.