Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

On 7/3/2020 at 5:03 PM, Woolie Wool said:

This tutti-frutti-like band still appears in the sky in Eviternity map26, and the issues with the chains being cut off in Avactor map05 mentioned upthread still persist. I'm guessing these have to do with odd texture sizes?

Yep. The colored line in the sky is because in this PWAD the sky texture consists of only a single patch and is thus not composed, so the columns are rendered directly from the patch lump. The two colored horizontal lines correspond to the palette colors for the patch's column length and offset values. The cut-off chain texture is because the texture width is not a power of two but some other arbitrary value.

Both issues are stricly Doom (and even Boom/BMF) incompatibilities! They would have popped up earlier if PWADs were actually tested with the ports for which they claim compatibility. It's high time people realize that "works with PrBoom+ -complevel 11" does not mean "MBF-compatible". Especially, since PrBoom+ has derived central parts of its patch and texture processing code directly from ZDoom.

Although the two issues mentioned above may sound easy to fix, they actually aren't. Not without changing a considerable amount of code to be more in line with expectations risen by PrBoom+. I have already fixed some of these cases for this port in the past - maybe even too much already - but I am not sure how far I want to run behind and be "more like PrBoom+" when this port's original goal is actually to be "as much like MBF as possible".

Sorry for the rant, thank you for reporting (and discussing) anyway!

16 hours ago, Voltcom said:

Just a quick question. Is there a way to change the screen resolution? I can toggle the game to play in either windowed mode or in full screen using alt enter but when playing fullscreen there are black bands along both sides of the screen.

Well, no, this port doesn't have a widescreen rendering mode - and will most probably never get.

7 hours ago, fabian said:

It's high time people realize that "works with PrBoom+ -complevel 11" does not mean "MBF-compatible".

Well prior to Woof, there really weren't any modern ports that were strictly MBF compatible without other extensions, so I think it's understandable that maps made for complevel 11 weren't tested outside of PrB+/ZDoom/etc. Hopefully new cl11 wads will start have proper MBF/Woof support.

Is there a chance Woof might get OPL emulation, and maybe even an Allegro-like setup program to keep sound setup out of the main menu?

I am not opposed to adding OPL emulation. Happily waiting for a pull request. ;)

Why is it that everyone asks me to integrate setup into Crispy Doom more tightly and now you ask me to take sound setup out of the game executable? 

5 minutes ago, fabian said:

Why is it that everyone asks me to integrate setup into Crispy Doom more tightly and now you ask me to take sound setup out of the game executable? 

Surely you've been at this long enough to realize that NO ONE IS EVER HAPPY! ;p

Sure, I am all for feature suggestions and requests, but it's slowly getting absurd...

17 minutes ago, fabian said:

I am not opposed to adding OPL emulation. Happily waiting for a pull request. ;)

Because "everyone" does not and cannot want anything. "Everyone" does not exist, people do, lots of them.

Sorry for that! You deserve a proper reply, even though you may not like it. I don't have any further plans for Woof, except for the occasional bug fix, but no fundamental changes. I am all open for midiproc or OPL emulation and stuff like that, but have no plans to implement any of this myself. The port just works for me well enough as it is. However, external contributors are always welcome!

I know this is pretty much shitpost territory, but I can't help but think of The Impossible Quiz/Badly Drawn Dog series every time I'm reminded of this port.

EDIT: To make it slightly less shitpost-y, I will say I do remember playing WinMBF back in the day as one of my first source ports, so I'm definitely happy there's this port to keep it going and running on modern systems. :)

Edited by Dark Pulse

Stopped by to report a bug (tried to look through the thread but wasn't sure if a similar thing was posted already) but also wanted to say that this port feels very enjoyable and responsive! I think you have a way with the player movement that really clicks with me. Same reason I love Crispy.

The bug was a strange band of magenta on some textures in the first map of Valiant. If it's any help, the texture SAWSTN13 that it occurs on is 256x320 pixel single patch texture.

doom00.png.e339721ac3b5e2bce3bf80340791dc40.png

Also since I'm posting, is it possible to bind a key to restart level like in Crispy? And if not, could that be added?

This is super cool. I've always wanted a Boom-compatible Crispy Doom :) This sure looks like it, with its 640x400 resolution. All that's missing are the extra things like brightmaps, mirrored corpses, vertical recoil pitch, the weapon bobbing while moving effect, and widescreen. I know you said you probably will never implement these, but think of the children :(

Sorry for the noob question, but I am a techlet: are there any parameters to change between Doom/Doom2/Boom/MBF compatibility?

On 8/2/2020 at 12:50 AM, RonnieColeman said:

are there any parameters to change between Doom/Doom2/Boom/MBF compatibility?

Currenly no. There's an internal compatibility thing to try to play demos recorded in Boom format, but it's far from perfect. fabian said he might implement a compatibility switch for playing, if and when Boom emulation gets close to being accurate, but that's likely not going to happen for a while.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2144728

On 7/29/2020 at 6:39 PM, Aurelius said:

Stopped by to report a bug (tried to look through the thread but wasn't sure if a similar thing was posted already) but also wanted to say that this port feels very enjoyable and responsive! I think you have a way with the player movement that really clicks with me. Same reason I love Crispy.

Thank you!

The bug was a strange band of magenta on some textures in the first map of Valiant. If it's any help, the texture SAWSTN13 that it occurs on is 256x320 pixel single patch texture.

Thanks, but I don't think I am going to fix any more texture curiousities at this point.

Also since I'm posting, is it possible to bind a key to restart level like in Crispy? And if not, could that be added?

Added, thanks!

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/24bca87c06a266e77ec4a676bc7f16b65c5c71f3

On 8/2/2020 at 6:50 AM, RonnieColeman said:

This is super cool. I've always wanted a Boom-compatible Crispy Doom :) This sure looks like it, with its 640x400 resolution. All that's missing are the extra things like brightmaps, mirrored corpses, vertical recoil pitch, the weapon bobbing while moving effect, and widescreen. I know you said you probably will never implement these, but think of the children :(

Most of these features require more intrusive changes to the source code than I'd ever like to add. Heck, I even hesitated for literally months until I merged the already-prepared branch that added uncapped framerate with interpolation. Mirrored corsped could be a thing, but then again, this is Lee Killough's source port after all - and if he added dogs already, he could just as well have added flipped corpses if he just wanted.

On 8/2/2020 at 6:50 AM, RonnieColeman said:

Sorry for the noob question, but I am a techlet: are there any parameters to change between Doom/Doom2/Boom/MBF compatibility?

As @plums already pointed out there are compatibility flags to enable playback of Vanilla and Boom 2.02 demos - but let's say they have not been maintained to the same degree that we got used to from PrBoom+. I ironed out much of it, but by far not enough to open it up for demo recording in any other then MBF's own format.

2 hours ago, fabian said:

I have just released Woof! 2.1.1:

• Fix linedef type 242 rendering with moving control sectors.
  • Fix SDL2_Mixer opening a different number of audio channels than requested.

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_2.1.1/Woof-2.1.1-win32.zip

@EpicTyphlosion Could you please check if this release fixes your issue?

Yep, works right out of the box. Btw, you might want to check Crispy Doom, as I had the same issue with that as well

13 minutes ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

Yep, works right out of the box. Btw, you might want to check Crispy Doom, as I had the same issue with that as well

Will be fixed in 5.9.1 tomorrow!

On 9/4/2020 at 10:53 PM, thearcaalex said:

Could you add the stats (kill, items and secrets) in the automap?

Good idea! Would you like to see the K/I/S line from the advanced HUD or rather a separate widget as e.g. in Crispy?

Edit: Never mind, I have added this as a separate widget:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/18c2167893a1be1db15ff2e397767e0a4fcade77

Edited by fabian

Just me, or is there no way to unbind mouse binds here? I think I accidentally binded my right mouse to a functionality I don't want to use on it, and still have no idea how to fix it.

@InDOOMnesia you should just be able to hit the delete key and remove all keyboard/mouse bindings from an action. If it had a mouse button assigned to it, that might change to say MB0 but that basically means "no mouse button".