Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

31 minutes ago, plums said:

@InDOOMnesia you should just be able to hit the delete key and remove all keyboard/mouse bindings from an action. If it had a mouse button assigned to it, that might change to say MB0 but that basically means "no mouse button".

I see now. But when I bind my mouse button to the Use function, the Forward function is assigned to the same button too, which still frustrates me. I have no idea why and how.

Shooooooot, Choco MBF? I'm def gonna check this out. Might be one of my new go-to's.

Hi. I tried to play Survive in Hell (the wad is Boom-compatible per its own testimonial, and runs fine in PrBoom+ and GLBoom+) with this port, but for some reason the executable just won't load the wad or open at all. No reports, no feedback (unless there's a crash log somewhere). I've already checked for typos. I also tried dragging the file, which works fine for other Boom wads such as UAC Ultra and Jenesis but no luck with Survive in hell. Would be grateful if someone can help me out.

@Catpho Looks like something in the Dehacked patch is causing it to Segfault immediately.

edit: Line 686 of the Dehacked file, code pointer table for a monster:

Frame 941 = Suicide

Suicide isn't a valid action function and Woof's crashing from it.

Edited by plums

On 2/29/2020 at 8:08 AM, Redneckerz said:

First I want to say Im loving this port, my new goto.  I was playing around with the automap settings last night and the "show coordinates of automap pointer" when switched to off the coordinates still show in the auto map.  Tried it with 2.1.0 and 2.1.1.

Automap coordinates are always enabled in MBF. This switch merely affects follow mode. If the latter is disabled, it decides whether the coordinates of the player arrow or of the screen center are displayed. 

33 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

My mistake, I misunderstood what the option actually did.

Granted, it's ambiguous, but it's not my wording. ;)

2 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

My mistake, I misunderstood what the option actually did.

I think the first quote didn't go as planned since its not something i wrote haha :P

40 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

pls add integer scaling option like in crispy doom

Hm, is there a specific reason why you would want this? I don't even interpolate the scaled picture, so sticking to mere integer factors shouldn't make a huge difference anyway.

6 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Minor, but ouch face bug is still present.

I know and I am not even sure if it should get fixed...

10 hours ago, fabian said:

is there a specific reason why you would want this?

I just love the way it looks. I didn't even know what it was until someone told me, and now I play all old DOS games through the DOSBox fork that uses integer scaling ("DOSBox pixel-perfect") like Blood, Duke 3D, and Doom. Even the Diablo 1 version sold on GOG contains integer scaling and it looks great; I like it so much, I've been playing that instead of Doom recently. Sadly, there is no way for me to play Diablo 2 with integer scaling. I discovered that I can play modern maps through DOSBox using MBF (thanks in part to this thread) but, DOSBox being what it is, some maps run unbearably slow. For example, I was playing Anta_req.wad in DOSBox/MBF and the first map plays flawlessly but the second map runs at an unacceptable framerate. I tried it in PrBoom+, but there is no going back to that now after playing Chocolate/Crispy/DOSBox with integer scaling. Integer scaling is one of those things that you "can't unsee." Woof is currently my preferred port for Antaresian Reliquary; it's just missing those little black bars on the top and bottom of the screen :)

basedantares.png.8d734a7c37664ecf84610620f3599c1c.png

Edited by RonnieColeman

What's the benefit of integer scaling when the game is built with non-square pixels? I can see the appeal of horizontal integer scale, but wouldn't having integer scaling on the vertical axis just give you horizontally stretched sprites? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about integer scaling when it comes to 2D games built on square pixel aspect ratios, but that's pretty rare and I find integer scaling one axis, and doing interpolation on the other tends to offer the best results on fixed-pixel displays.

Damn, you're right, dude. I never noticed it until you mentioned it: in DOSBox, the image is stretched horizontally, both with and without integer scaling. It seems so obvious now I'm surprised I never noticed. In Chocolate/Crispy there is some sort of magic going on so the aspect ratio is corrected, with and without integer scaling on :) Well, I guess I'm never playing Doom in DOS again... but the Soundblaster MIDIs are so comfy :(
(very late edit: I found out about this shortly after making this post and I never edited the post but I figured I should mention: you can enable aspect ratio correction in DOSBox)

inb4fandom.png.49f5712e7b30b87a52de73a7ba2dc4ec.png

Left is uncorrected (horizontally stretched), right is corrected

On 9/11/2020 at 11:46 PM, M_W said:

I find integer scaling one axis, and doing interpolation on the other tends to offer the best results on fixed-pixel displays

What are some examples of this?

Edited by RonnieColeman

8 hours ago, M_W said:

What's the benefit of integer scaling when the game is built with non-square pixels?

In theory you could do proper integer scaling to 1600x1200 resolution (320*5=1600, 200*6=1200) and preserve the aspect ratio, so long as you had a display that could show it.

It looks like Crispy's integer scaling does what you suggest, scaling the H axis up by an integer and then scaling the V axis up by the same amount proportionally while keeping the non-square pixels.

Edited by plums

Has anyone else noticed that the status bar has wrong aspect ratio in GZDoom unless you use the scale to fullscreen option? In ZDoom it was the same unless you set the stretch option which was the default. But now it looks bad at mid-low resolutions when scaled to fullscreen.

Might be a dumb question, but is there way to unbind the double-click for use? I prefer single click.

I have just added an "integer_scaling" option, but I found this feature obscure enough to hide it from the menu. You'll have to edit the config file to enable it.

Also, it is now possible to bind the "use" action to a dedicated mouse button. Using by double-click is still available, but needs to get explicitly enabled in the "Input Methods" section of the "General" Options menu. (NB: You might have to rebind your mouse keys.)

Edited by fabian

Woof seems to have issues with certain masked mid textures.

Obvious at the start of this wad with the "clock" texture at the start of map01 ...

I really like this port, its basically a strong limit removing port with Boom and MBF compatibility and doesn't feel the need to change anything regarding the gameplay or quirks. Thank you!

4 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Woof seems to have issues with certain masked mid textures.

Single-patched masked textures with a different height between the texture and the patch, yes.

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Single-patched masked textures with a different height between the texture and the patch, yes.

There is no diffference in the height between the texture and the patch.

The patches are ZCLOCK01-04, 160x160 pixels, and the textures are exactly the same.

So there is still an issue.