Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArgentFrequencies

Are there only 7 levels in Doom Eternal, or am I going mad?

Note: This is a shameless copy + paste from my reddit post on the Doom subreddit.

Thus far, every level seen has had 10 points in the top right for the demonic corruption meter. 3 of these belong to a Slayer's gate. Now, in order to get the Unmakyr, you need to collect 6 Empyrean keys, which are rewarded to you after beating a Slayer's gate. This implies only 6 levels have a Slayer's gate.

I still hope there's more than just 7, but looking at gameplay from the Exultia and Cultist Base levels, as well as Markiplier's gameplay of Taras Nebad, all three featured the 3 purple 'Slayer's Gate' points. I say 7 because the only exception might be the first level, since no demonic corruption meter is present there at all in any gameplay, implying that it is only introduced just before the second level. Considering the size of each level, the number would be understandable, but disappointing. Can anyone confirm any levels in Doom Eternal which don't have Slayer's Gates?

Edited by ArgentFrequencies

well i'd assume that they'd give you a few more levels with the unmaykr, and that beating all of the slayer's gates wouldn't just be the whole game. seeing as doom 2016 had 13 levels, eternal may have a little more or less.

Just now, rustygizzard said:

well i'd assume that they'd give you a few more levels with the unmaykr, and that beating all of the slayer's gates wouldn't just be the whole game. seeing as doom 2016 had 13 levels, eternal may have a little more or less.

They've said the Unmakyr was a post-game weapon in interviews and such. I'd assume that as well, but every time I've seen the demonic corruption meter, it's had the Slayer's gate pips. Besides, the Slayer's gates are purely supposed to be optional.

I'd assume 7 levels would not take the quoted 22 hours, even if each level is as big as an entire classic IWAD (which is extremely unlikely, according to other people's gameplay 3 hours stretches up on average to about halfway through the third level.)

Hell on Earth, the first level, has no corruption meter so there probably won't be a Slayer Gate in it. Other than that, we know Exultia, Cultist Base, Mars Core and Taras Nabad (plus one other Earth level, you can see a Slayer Gate entrance in the Quakecon 2018 footage) have Slayer Gates. So one level has a Slayer Gate which we haven't seen yet.

And there are far more environments left that we've seen but not in-game than just one - we've seen another Hell Barge (which is probably part of the second Earth level though), another Sentinel Prime area (the one with the clean buildings we saw back in 2018), more Hell areas than are in the second half of Exultia, Urdak, and probably several more environments that id aren't showing us as to not spoil other key points of the game.

Also, boss encounters are shown to have pips in the Demonic Corruption meter (loading tooltips confirm this) and it's also confirmed that the maximum demonic corruption points for a level are 10. So the boss levels likely don't have Slayer Gates, and maybe just have the boss pip + more secret encounters to compensate.

In conclusion: I think they're just happening to show Slayer Gate levels, either by coincidence or choice.

5 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

I'd assume 7 levels would not take the quoted 22 hours, even if each level is as big as an entire classic IWAD (which is extremely unlikely, according to other people's gameplay 3 hours stretches up on average to about halfway through the third level.)

Hell on Earth, the first level, has no corruption meter so there probably won't be a Slayer Gate in it. Other than that, we know Exultia, Cultist Base, Mars Core and Taras Nabad (plus one other Earth level, you can see a Slayer Gate entrance in the Quakecon 2018 footage) have Slayer Gates. So one level has a Slayer Gate which we haven't seen yet.

And there are far more environments left that we've seen but not in-game than just one - we've seen another Hell Barge (which is probably part of the second Earth level though), another Sentinel Prime area (the one with the clean buildings we saw back in 2018), more Hell areas than are in the second half of Exultia, Urdak, and probably several more environments that id aren't showing us as to not spoil other key points of the game.

Also, boss encounters are shown to have pips in the Demonic Corruption meter (loading tooltips confirm this) and it's also confirmed that the maximum demonic corruption points for a level are 10. So the boss levels likely don't have Slayer Gates, and maybe just have the boss pip + more secret encounters to compensate.

In conclusion: I think they're just happening to show Slayer Gate levels, either by coincidence or choice.

Just thinking the 7 level thing could be something to watch out for, but you make a good point. Although, it's likely that the sentinel coliseum section is part of the Phobos level, given the gameplay featured at 2019's E3 implies this. The artbook leaks (spoilers will be censored) mentioned that 

Spoiler

the Gladiator demon was placed inside that Coliseum against Sentinel law, making the Gladiator a boss in that level.

Looking at the newest gameplay trailer, after the Slayer stabs a Mancubus shows the sentinel aesthetic likely present in that Coliseum, and that the third priest was killed, with the second priest potentially having been killed in the Cultist Base level or somewhere after, leading to

Spoiler

the Khan Makyr reviving the Icon of Sin in order to resume "the blood ritual" (As seen in Markiplier's gameplay through Teras Nebad)

I've just not seen a level without the Slayer's gate pips, making 7 levels a possibility. (6 with slayer's gate + the first level without a demonic corruption meter.)

Well the first two levels are about as big as Doom 2016.  Cultist base is about a 1.5 the size and has a bonus section at the end which might be its own level.  WIth that said ...

-Hell on Earth

-Exultia

-Cultist Base

-Cultist Base part 2 AKA TerrorDome (this has mainly just boss pips on it)

-Taras Nabad

-Mars Core

-Urdak

Art book hints and some new locations however.

12 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Well the first two levels are about as big as Doom 2016.  Cultist base is about a 1.5 the size and has a bonus section at the end which might be its own level.  WIth that said ...

-Hell on Earth

-Exultia

-Cultist Base

-Cultist Base part 2 AKA TerrorDome (this has mainly just boss pips on it)

-Taras Nabad

-Mars Core

-Urdak

Art book hints and some new locations however.

Taras Nabad is likely after Mars Core, also where did you see mainly boss pips? I'm fine with spoilers.

edit: after/before mixed up

3 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Taras Nabad is likely before Mars Core, also where did you see mainly boss pips? I'm fine with spoilers.

I think Taras is after Mars Core - the BFG codex entry says the weapon is stationed to Phobos, which probably means you get it on Mars Core, and in Taras you have the BFG.

1 minute ago, Novaseer said:

I think Taras is after Mars Core - the BFG codex entry says the weapon is stationed to Phobos, which probably means you get it on Mars Core, and in Taras you have the BFG.

*meant to say after, you listed Mars Core after Taras Nebad. Where's the demonic corruption meter for Cultist Base 2?

13 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Taras Nabad is likely after Mars Core, also where did you see mainly boss pips? I'm fine with spoilers.

edit: after/before mixed up

I saw a lot of unofficial gameplay that showed pretty much the entire first level and the short level after cultist base.

But from the art books there appears to be another earth level (probably the one from QC2018) that has a gores nest and another argent tower interior.

Some new locations in Hell.  We have only seen it briefly in Exultia.  There has too be at least a couple more hell levels right?

Sentinel Prime seems to be its own level.

So at the very least we have 10 levels.

9 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I saw a lot of unofficial gameplay that show pretty much the entire first level and the short level after cultist base.

But from the art books there appears to be another earth level (probably the one from QC2018) that has a gores nest and another argent tower interior.

Some new locations in Hell.  We have only seen it briefly in Exultia.  There has two be a couple here right?

Sentinel Prime seems to be its own level.

So at the very least we have 10 levels.

Given that you've seen the whole first level, the giant gore nest is definitely going to be in a separate level?

From what I can tell, the main journey only seems to be to kill three hell priests, then the icon of sin. That wouldn't take many levels. With Doom 2016 you were bouncing all around the place. Find out how many people died in the first two levels, chase Olivia in the next three, go to Lazarus labs in another 3 levels, get crucible in two, and free elemental wraiths in two. From how I see it, the first priest is already dead. Second priest dead in two levels (Exultia-Cultist Base), third priest dead in two levels (Doom Hunter base-Phobos/Sentinel Prime(?)), going to kill icon of sin in two more levels (One to get Crucible Blade, the other for the final boss). In total, 7 levels.

Then again, so much is missing. Concept art, other parts of hell, I'm just confused that I haven't seen a level without Slayer gate pips.

Looking at some screenshots, videos and trailers, some worlds have different skies suggesting different timezones and/or places in the same world.

Sutff like the Stadia story trailer or some screenshots somewhere.

Maybe by looking more at these, there's probably a bit more we haven't seen yet,

Spoiler

Even some videos that were deleted for showing certain things that broke NDA, showed a bit more of the first level like a bridge area or getting to the flying Hellish tower and there's a base that takes place before you meet the DoomHunter.

1 minute ago, whatup876 said:

Looking at some screenshots, videos and trailers, some worlds have different skies suggesting different timezones and/or places in the same world.

Sutff like the Stadia story trailer or some screenshots somewhere.

Maybe by looking more at these, there's probably a bit more we haven't seen yet,

Hide contents

Even some videos that were deleted for showing certain things that broke NDA, showed a bit more of the first level like a bridge area or getting to the flying Hellish tower and there's a base that takes place before you meet the DoomHunter.

I agree, but is there a screenshot of a level without the slayer gate pips in the demonic corruption meter?

9 minutes ago, ArgentFrequencies said:

Given that you've seen the whole first level, the giant gore nest is definitely going to be in a separate level?

Terror dome didn't have a slayer gate pip and only a bunch of yellow boss ones.

As for the Giant Gores nest I didn't see that part in the first level playthrough. From what people have said recently, it is either been removed or used in another Earth level.  There is a lot of concept art showing a earth based argent tower or uac base with gores nest.  There is also some concept of the ARC base so those might actually be two separate levels.

I cant imagine the last level having a slayer gate since that would make the unmaker a nearly pointless reward.

Is this a real question? Are you asking if there are less levels than 2016 and if those 7 levels take 22 hours to complete? Yes, you are mad. 

I'm sorry to come off overly harsh but people need to stop over analyzing prerelease footage. And I'm getting rather fed up with the amount of nitpicking and jump to conclusions that have steadily been increasing leading up to release. Reserve your judgement for 20 more days.

And you don't like the new games? Say your peace and move on instead of harping on about it endlessly like some people who won't be named. 

Obviously there is A LOT more waiting in the store. They've shown quite a bit from the game, sure, but keep in mind this is only a fragment of the whole deal. The game is estimated to be over 15 hours long, so there's going to be plenty of things to do and see during that time - and a lot of maps to explore.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Obviously there is A LOT more waiting in the store. They've shown quite a bit from the game, sure, but keep in mind this is only a fragment of the whole deal. The game is estimated to be over 15 hours long, so there's going to be plenty of things to do and see during that time - and a lot of maps to explore.

It’s about 20-22 hours if I recall. Not sure if Hugo meant with or without secret hunting.

7 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

It’s about 20-22 hours if I recall. Not sure if Hugo meant with or without secret hunting.

Yea, that's why I chose to say 15 instead, I think that was for completionist playthroughs.

I love this "I haven't seen [x] so it must not exist" attitude. Perhaps we can apply it to the estimated shape and/or curvature (or lack thereof) of the Earth, too...

8 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Or how about this? 

They've actually saved some of the game for you to discover when it releases.

5 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Is this a real question? Are you asking if there are less levels than 2016 and if those 7 levels take 22 hours to complete? Yes, you are mad. 

I'm sorry to come off overly harsh but people need to stop over analyzing prerelease footage. And I'm getting rather fed up with the amount of nitpicking and jump to conclusions that have steadily been increasing leading up to release. Reserve your judgement for 20 more days.

And you don't like the new games? Say your peace and move on instead of harping on about it endlessly like some people who won't be named. 

4 hours ago, Jayextee said:

I love this "I haven't seen [x] so it must not exist" attitude. Perhaps we can apply it to the estimated shape and/or curvature (or lack thereof) of the Earth, too...

You're all talking as if I believe there's only 7 levels. I don't want there to be, and believe there's more, but answers with alternate proof isn't what I want because I know it already, and fully support it as a reason for more than 7 levels. I said this in the beginning, and I'll said it again: I want pictures of a level without Slayer gate pips!

J.-Jonah-Jameson-Peter-Parker-Spider-Man.jpg

Spoiler

I even included a little picture to help you understand my stance.

There’s a collectible, I think cheat codes or classic levels, that you can access via the slayer’s computer. There are 14 of these total collectibles that you can collect throughout the game; so my current theory is that there are 14 levels in the game, meaning that half of the levels have slayer gates. 

9 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

There’s a collectible, I think cheat codes or classic levels, that you can access via the slayer’s computer. There are 14 of these total collectibles that you can collect throughout the game; so my current theory is that there are 14 levels in the game, meaning that half of the levels have slayer gates. 

Again, it makes perfect sense to have things other than Empyrean keys, and I believe this as well, but I haven't seen any screenshots for it.

4 hours ago, dewmguy said:

didn't they say there are 12 rabbits in the game as easter eggs, one on each level?

I only remember them mentioning that there will be a rabbit on every level, nothing about there being only 12.

Here is the 4th level with no slayer gate pips.  Warning Spoilers

29 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Here is the 4th level with no slayer gate pips.  Warning Spoilers

Nothing to see here folks, we got proof that not all levels have slayer gates. Thus, their will be more than 7 levels.