Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
twistedhydrgoen

If DOOM Didn't exist, what would happen?

Video games would be quite a bit different now, and the Build games would've also had to take inspiration from other sources.

I think if Doom didn't exist, the ESRB debate would have been different. 
Like, when video game companies went into court in the 1990s to participate in a hearing about violence in video games?
That's just me.

This place would be called "Wolfworld" and everyone would be using source ports like zwolf and chocolate wolf.

But now seriously, i think another game eventually would have take is place, maybe that aliens game id was thinking of doing or quake with sprites or something like that.

26 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Like, when video game companies went into court in the 1990s to participate in a hearing about violence in video games?

That's just me.

Wasn't that mainly for mortal kombat though? 

1 minute ago, Danzer said:

Wasn't that mainly for mortal kombat though? 

Well yes, but Night Trap and Lethal Enforcers were also brought up. And due to how... violent Doom was, it was safe to assume it would also be one of the major factors in the creation of the ESRB.

Nothing much would have happened if Doom never existed. The advances in tech that came with classic Doom, which are still going on today with Doom'16 and Doom Eternal, would have happened eventually anyway, albeit a bit later, except it would have been a different franchise, a different team of developers, etc...

Yeah, Classic Doom had a huge impact on the landscape of PC gaming, but that wasn't because the people at id were the only ones in the world who could code, it was because they were among the first to actually pull it off and deliver a successful title.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

10 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

Well yes, but Night Trap and Lethal Enforcers were also brought up. And due to how... violent Doom was, it was safe to assume it would also be one of the major factors in the creation of the ESRB.

In the very creation, I wouldn't think so.

It could have been different? Maybe, probably. That's what this topic is about really.

A reality where Doom was never made surely would be different in many aspects, but the (political) debates for violent games came, if I recall correctly, one day before the release of Doom (or at least that's what is told on Masters of Doom, on December 9th 1993) and were mostly because of the success of Mortal Kombat and it's controversial violence. (Among many others violent videogames of course, Wolfenstein 3D probably included, or even Doom itself as it was announced as a better succesor to Wolf3D, but then again there wouldn't be evidence of any Doom game yet as contundent material as example to blame about it's violence)

Although, I guess if Doom was never made, they would have blamed something else for the influence on the Columbine Massacre perpetrators.

We wouldn't look at this forum right now and write our thoughts about this topic... If Doom never existed, we would speak about other games and other influences on other forum or platform. Timeline, where Doom games don't exist sounds quite sad. 

16 minutes ago, Misty said:

Timeline, where Doom games don't exist sounds quite sad. 

In a different dimension, where Doom doesn't exist, people think the same about the game that is not Doom.

I don't doubt that the video gaming world would have developed similarly through the 90s, but it's hard for me to imagine that it would have done so as efficiently or as quickly. 

There were already a few solid examples of what could be done in a 3D space with video games, so I would be unconcerned that we still wouldn't have taken off in this direction, however: Doom revolutionized this new paradigm in shift in so many ways, e.g. dynamic lighting, verticality, multiplayer cooperative and deathmatch play, etc. I can't think of many games that moved forward in so many ways.

I think we would have gotten off the ground a little slower, but hopefully someone would come along and create something nearly as impactful in a short order of time.

3 hours ago, twistedhydrgoen said:

doesent that already exist?
spear of justice

Spear of destiny. Prequel, not sequel. Return to castle Wolfenstein is a reboot so technically there is no official sequel to the original Wolfenstein 3D.

I wonder if, had Marathon been more faithfully ported to PC (and not just as an afterthought like Marathon 2 was) that we might more frequently see it included in the "classic FPS" canon alongside Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Blood, etc.?

4 hours ago, DiamondDude11 said:

That's just me.

Whenever the US Congress wants to distract from political problems or their own misbehavior, they hold "hearings" for the moral panic(s) of the day.  It's a classic political maneuver to gain favor with certain constituencies in the US who love to yell to the world how "moral" they are.

I know this sounds insane, but I've always been amused by the thought of an alternate timeline where id saw what a massive hit Wolf3D was and just put all their eggs in that basket and rode that franchise into the ground before the turn of the millennium. Similar to what was done to Call of Duty last decade, but instead of being the exact same game over and over, each one introduced new revolutions in technology.

No Doom, just "The Ultimate Wolfenstein" - it would have Doom's engine and graphical fidelity, but it would be BJ vs the Nazis once again, but this time with stairs and full texture mapping!

Quake? Never heard of it. "Wolfenstein IV" however was a hit! Full 3D enemies and weapons?! Now BJ can blow away those Nazis in a more realistic way than ever before. Don't even get me started on how fun online Wolfmatches are!

The funny thing is, I can easily imagine it having gone down this way if the team was just ever-so-slightly less creative. For being a small group of guys, they managed to create four popular franchises in a matter of six years. That's pretty insane if you think about it. I know each member of classic id was a genius in their field of choice, but even aside from their technical skill, the level of creativity that was on display just amazes me. Most small game devs would be content with one hit franchise, but that wasn't enough for them!

..Anyway, to answer the OP, a Doom-like game would surely come into existence. It was pretty much guaranteed to happen at some point within a few years of Wolf3D's release, even if id weren't the ones to do it - the basic template for what FPS was to become was already laid out by Wolf in many respects. Increasing the engine capabilities, graphical fidelity, gameplay mechanics etc is only a natural progression from there on out.

Hopefully the autisim that is the CoD franchise would never have been created.  

30 minutes ago, Maser said:

Hopefully the autisim that is the CoD franchise would never have been created.  

Imagine comparing a mental disorder to a franchise that you don't like.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:01 AM, twistedhydrgoen said:

doesent that already exist?
spear of justice

Spear of Justice Destiny is an expansion pack.

Wolfenstein 3D 2 almost happened, it has the subtitle of Rise of the Triad.

Edited by ZeroTheEro

An Aliens game using a heavily modified wolfenstein 3D engine would exist in DooM's place. 

Of course we won't have as many FPS games, but also speedrunning would be absent.

We would've been stuck with games like Ken's Laberynth and Blake Stone for a longer time. In other words there would be more "Wolf3D clones" around.

Friendly reminder that the Build Engine would not exist, as build engine is just a copycat, it would not have anything to copy, and would end being another raycaster one like the Wolf3D engine if it still existed.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:52 AM, Danzer said:

Imagine comparing a mental disorder to a franchise that you don't like.

Autism is a developmental disorder, not a mental one. Quite a big different. But your point still stands. ;)

There is a game called ShadowCaster which was released 2-3 months before Doom in 93 and you can definitely see its influence in games like Heretic & Hexen so I think maybe Doom never existing would not make gaming from then until now all that different than what it is now.