Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Id Software's Aliens: what would it look like?

I've read a lot about Doom's development and how it was originally a licensed game based on the movie Aliens. But they dropped the idea to have more creative freedom over the game. Now imagine if Id had decided to create an Aliens game. What would it look like?

I like to think that they declined the offer because they didn't want any coked-up Hollywood executive assholes wandering around their office asking dumbass questions and treating them like a bunch of nerds

Doom 3 essentially.

Seriously, if you remove some textures, Doom references, and monsters, you're literally left with an Aliens shooter.

Probably a lot like Alien Trilogy, like just imagine that but on the idtech engine.

What happened in the end I think we can all agree was for the best, much like Mortal Kombat evolved from being a Jean Claude Van-Damme vehicle. 

It would be hard to create the awesome gameplay of Doom. The engine isn't suited to fast Aliens-type enemies with melee attack, it is better with zombie/animalistic enemies and magical attacks and projectiles,  huge boss demons, resurrecting monsters ... teleporters ...

I always wondered how it would have affected the community that grew around it. It would still have been the technological marvel it's always been, surely, and assuming the gameplay remained mostly unchanged, I really do wonder how the community would have evolved.

Would the modding scene be as sprawling and creative as it is? Would it be relegated as a subdivision of the fandom for the Alien franchise? Would the source code have even been released or would stupid greedy suits gotten in the way?

This keeps me up at night (not really)

iD Software would not have enough control over the game to create same-engine sequels and compilations or extra episodes at will. And we would get no modding support probably. Certainly no source code release.

Any sequels would be shitty movie tie-in cash grabs by other developers.

On 3/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

Aliens TC, but even more fleshed up, without any religious references.

Probably this. I don't remember any "religious references" in it though but it's been a long time since i've played it. That TC is still great imo. One of the best, especially for '94.

2 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I don't remember any "religious references" in it though but it's been a long time since i've played it

E2M1 has a big gate modelled after an inverted crucifix that damages you while you're in the middle of it. Also, The Ultimate DOOM's fourth episode, as well as its maps, are named after several passages from Biblical verses.

11 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

E2M1 has a big gate modelled after an inverted crucifix that damages you while you're in the middle of it. Also, The Ultimate DOOM's fourth episode, as well as its maps, are named after several passages from Biblical verses.

Oh i get what you are saying. My bad. I thought you were specifically stating that the Aliens TC has religious references lol. Nevermind ;)

3 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Oh i get what you are saying. My bad. I thought you were specifically stating that the Aliens TC has religious references lol. Nevermind ;)

You're okay. It's my fault too that I didn't make my words clearer. 😂