Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VanaheimRanger

What does the Signal 11 error on PRBoom+ actually mean?

Capture3.PNG

I am making a -cl 11 WAD and this is the second time I've had this error when testing on PRBoom+.  The first time it was because there was a .png file in the resource WAD, converting it to Doom Graphics fixed it.  This time I have no idea what the issue is, but it happens repeatedly in the same spot in on one map.

Signal 11 (SIGSEGV, also known as segmentation violation) means that the program accessed a memory location that was not assigned to it. ... So if you're writing your own program, that's the most likely cause. It can also commonly occur with some hardware malfunctions. (source google.com search)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(IPC)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault

If it's happening with a map, in a specific spot, have you tried messing with the nodes building, using a different nodebuilder, different settings, etc?  Just a hunch but I imagine that could do it.  It's very likely messed up data of some sort like your unconverted graphic example.

Unfortunately Signal 11 is a very general error message, as Zokum explains it basically means that PrB+ was looking for something in someplace it wasn't supposed to. Unconverted PNGs are the most common culprit, but you also get it, for example, when you use DEHACKED to give a monster the lost soul attack and don't specify an attack sound (at least in -cl2, I'm less familiar with -cl11). If you have any DEHACKED going on, definitely check that if you've already eliminated the possibility of unconverted PNGs. Does the the trouble spot have a special monster or THING?

1 hour ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Unfortunately Signal 11 is a very general error message, as Zokum explains it basically means that PrB+ was looking for something in someplace it wasn't supposed to. Unconverted PNGs are the most common culprit, but you also get it, for example, when you use DEHACKED to give a monster the lost soul attack and don't specify an attack sound (at least in -cl2, I'm less familiar with -cl11). If you have any DEHACKED going on, definitely check that if you've already eliminated the possibility of unconverted PNGs. Does the the trouble spot have a special monster or THING?

Yes, I am using the Mini Charge MBF gameplay mod, it has a custom dehacked and almost all the monsters in it have been modified in some way.  But none of the monsters cause an issue in other parts of the map.

2 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

If it's happening with a map, in a specific spot, have you tried messing with the nodes building, using a different nodebuilder, different settings, etc?  Just a hunch but I imagine that could do it.  It's very likely messed up data of some sort like your unconverted graphic example.

I haven't tried any other node builder except the one in Ultimate Doom Builder.  What other ones could I try?

fuck man this is exactly my problem too, except I don't have any dehacked monsters, nor do I usually load my dehacked stuff with my mapset in prboom either, so it couldn't be that.