Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MassiveEdgelord

What are your favorite video game settings/worlds/universes?

What are your favorite places where all the action happens?

For me it's the Milky Way in Mass Effect, the Megami Tensei multiverse, and New California + the Mojave wasteland in the Fallout series.

The Zone from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and the Metro system from Metro 2033 & Last Light. I just really like Soviet and Post-Soviet things for some reason

The_Zone_1.jpg

metro-2033-tunnel-subway-train-abandon-deserted-hd-1080P-wallpaper.jpg

Hmmm so many cool places in games.

The galaxy / universe in No Man's Sky.

Lots of cool areas in Fallout, Stalker and Metro, like what was already mentioned.

The Crystal Desert in Guild Wars and Guild Wars II. It's a large area with many different places and some hard battles.

Bo6n9sG.jpg

R3g09AO.jpg

Pretty much all of Skyrim in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, especially with mods.

2wICQ1w.jpg

0WdpitR.jpg

A few places honestly, MK's Outworld, Stalker's The Zone, the old City 17 from the original concept of HL2, Hell in Doom 64, Quake 1's world (whatever it's called), Arkham City, HL (or rather Black Mesa's) Xen, and a few more locations that are skipping me right now.

But Molag Bal's Coldharbour fills the void easily :3 :

tw98xcuzweo01.jpg

latest?cb=20190719175821

a8f05bec193d5bfc121d8adf1cb4fecf.jpg

black.jpg

LuaVzPSfLJ1SWkXaOea0M_YHyXkddbSsBj-ayziK

latest?cb=20091012192844&path-prefix=en

tumblr_o11gum3t5w1u34e3ko1_1280.png

Edited by seed

I'm not going to post any images but I love the whole setting of Gothic 2. The forests, the caves, the harbour city, all of it.

43 minutes ago, seed said:

But Molag Bal's Outworld fills the void easily :3 :

Oh yeah that reminds me of The Shivering Isles. I have to replay that portion of Oblivion sometime.

Also Blackmarsh and Mazaera from Hexen 2.

And the whole planet of Stroggos from Quake 2.

Besides the obvious love for Doom's, Quake's, Duke's and other classic games' settings, here are a few of mine, in no particular order:

• City 17 from Half-Life 2
  • Na Pali from Unreal
  • Lh'owon from Marathon 2
  • Installation 04 from Halo (the Halo ring)
  • Capital Wasteland from Fallout 3
  • Cyrodiil from TES IV: Oblivion
  • Skyrim from TES V: Skyrim
  • Willamette Parkview Mall from Dead Rising
  • Tau Volantis from Dead Space 3
  • Pretty much all of Metro 2033
  • Stilwater from Saint's Row

My memory fails me so there might be more, but what imediatelly sticks out in my mind is Shadowrun's mix of cyberpunk and fantasy/magic(not unlike Doom even), Legacy of Kain's gothic paradise, and Kirby's colorful dreamy dream land.

I like bizarre, almost ethereal places, a few examples that I can think of is:

"The Haul" in Destiny 2

The_Reckoning.0.jpg.0ccb71a9c67ed34237a29fe3fd1cb776.jpg

Xen (obviously)

Xen_first_island.jpg.48be6cb5e13174ca1f94d477f2779bb7.jpg

The Fade in Dragon age (especially Inquisition)

ryan-love-dragon-age-inquisition-rlove-05.jpg.048cc8d85570b45810b1d216845f96d9.jpg

Doom 3 Hell

steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_118236634_preview.png.7ce4a937bb8286056a9244c3d60e0db7.png

Just odd, alien and otherworldly stuff appeal to me like you wouldn't believe, my imagination goes wild with a good skybox.

The entirety of the classic Thief games (Dark Project and The Metal Age)

1*7T6xdCQT1rK551zqDVXoeA.png

The Spine of the World in the Icewind Dale games (Kuldahar remains one of my favorite locations in a game).

IcewindDale2.jpg

All the Doom's, of course. 

Counting out the obvious one, here are some of my picks:

• Forest of Nibel (Ori and the Blind Forest)
  • Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)
  • Na Pali (Unreal)
  • Demonic Core (Ys Origin)
  • Land of the Livid Dead (Rayman Origins)
  • Columbia (Bioshock Infinite)
  • Cloudbank (Transistor)

8d5224608a3dc678a3be13cce0a35b48.jpg

wormfisure-gaseous.jpg

The fucked up apocalyptic world of Tiberian Dawn and especially Tiberian Sun. Humanity and ALL DNA BASED LIFE ON EARTH being literally only a few years or months away from total extinction due to Tiberium's mutating influence "terraforming" Earth into an alien planet.

And then those EA idiots had GDI fix the problem "offscreen", oh piss off mate.

Starcraft universe with its space marine terrans, the slimy, mutating Zerg and the mysterious Protoss.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Witcher. Although I may be adding Doom to that list soon...

22 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

The entirety of the classic Thief games (Dark Project and The Metal Age)

High five :P

To be honest, this is one of my favorite series besides Doom (of course, Thief 2014 sucks), and it's funny that I like things with gears because of Thief 2.

11 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

The fucked up apocalyptic world of Tiberian Dawn and especially Tiberian Sun. Humanity and ALL DNA BASED LIFE ON EARTH being literally only a few years or months away from total extinction due to Tiberium's mutating influence "terraforming" Earth into an alien planet.

A man of culture I see. Tiberian Sun was really underrated. It had the best atmosphere of all C&C games.

If you like its atmosphere, I recommend trying out Twisted Insurrection. It is a standalone Tiberian Sun TC. It completely redesigns the game with new art, new units, new OST and a new plot following an alternate timeline where the Brotherhood won the First War (Tiberian Dawn's Nod ending). It fixes most of the issues people had with tiberian sun and amplifies the TS atmosphere 10-folds. In addition to all this, it comes with a new client/launcher that allows easy access to multiplayer using CNCNET and adds RA2-onwards style skirmish/multiplayer options like choosing teams, starting locations and hundreds of high quality maps. And a bonus: It even comes with a Tiberian Dawn mode (where u can play with TD's units).

Has anyone here seen my corpse?

SnAjkB5.jpg

West Karana was a big place, and perhaps one of the largest zones in the first big MMORPG, Everquest. It was

next door to the starting area of Qeynos Hills, and once you found your feet, you might venture out here to deliver

a letter or raid a bandit camp or two, or simply follow the road across the plains to see where it lead...

Well, that road just kept going, and going. The sheer size of the zone lent it an expansive atmosphere that made

you feel you were exploring a fantasy world simulation rather just a game. This was especially the case, once you

realised there things out here that you had to avoid. Bandits who could cast spells were not to be taken lightly,

and the roaming Hill Giant could stomp your party flat. You quickly learned to keep your eyes open.

At night, things got worse. If you were human, and you probably were if you started in the western side of the

continent, your night vision sucked. You would have to equip a torch or lightstone just to illuminate your immediate

surroundings. Your world was otherwise pitch black, with only the silhouette of shapes against a starry sky, and

distant lights of buildings to guide your way. And waiting for you in that darkness, was the werewolf.

West Karana was a low level type of zone, with some animals around level 10, bandits from about 12 to 15, and

so on. But because this was Everquest, there were high level roamers to keep you on your toes. I think the Hill

Giant ranked in at level 30, but it was large and lumbering and fairly easy to spot even at night. The Werewolf was

level 35, it ran on all fours with a low profile faster than most players, randomly visited Bandit camps to murder

whole parties, and would chase any survivors to the zone line if they made it that far. Oh yeah, and for giggles

it would often linger at the zone line afterwards and murder anyone zoning back in.

It's probably the reason West Karana was generally quiet and empty even on highly populated servers.

• Xen from Half Life and it's expansions and also Black Mesa's take on it. I really like how eerie and alien it looks like, it really feels as if you're visiting another universe, it is mostly composed of tiny floating islands, some of them have long spires and smaller rocky platforms orbiting around them, all are suspended in a nebula like void with 2 suns on the horizon.
  • Doom, particularly TNT's night levels, mostly for the sky texture in techbase maps. Plutonia's "episode 1" sky and texture use in it's maps, i really like how different it looks like compared with TNT, Doom 2 and DooM. The maps have that "overtaken by nature" looks with those vine textures and mid textures, the wooden planks acting like a support structure, and water fall textures.
  • Racoon City from Resident Evil, first of all, it's name. It sounds like a cheesy name from a gag manga setting, a la Penguin Village from Dr. Slump. I really like it's atmosphere, specially in Resident Evil 2 and 3, because it looked less like an american town/small city and more like a nightmare inspired by japanese urban planning, the narrow streets, doors leading into hallways and then alleys, and stairways ascending into other alleys and hallways, IIRC there is also a doorway in an alley with stairs that lead into a basement of sorts, that is not connect to a house or flat, kinda like a "community basement" or storehouse, everything is so weird to look at. There is also the eeire constant moaning from zombies in the background, in RE2 and 3, some of those moans kinda sounds like wind blowing at the distance, the music itself compliments the environment, giving an oppressive feel.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:27 PM, Doom_Dude said:

Oh yeah that reminds me of The Shivering Isles. I have to replay that portion of Oblivion sometime.

Also Blackmarsh and Mazaera from Hexen 2.

And the whole planet of Stroggos from Quake 2.

Yes indeed :D .

Skyrim's take on Solstheim in Dragonborn was also pretty awesome, I think Beth did a great job remaking the iconic location. And now that I look closer I realize I said Bal's Outworld instead of Coldharbour.

- Thief, God yes. I'm in the apparent minority that think the Metal Age is the better of the classic games, but the setting in both is phenomenal. Narratives set against a rapidly changing cultural backdrop (here the old kind of enlightenment/tech progress vs spirituality as embodied by the pagans and Hammerites, later Mechanists) gain some inherent drama from the start.

- Planescape Torment. Ah the city of Sigil, Ravel Puzzlewell in the black-barbed maze, the outland of Curst sliding into a plane of hell driven only by the morality of its inhabitants, Morte. MORTE! An incredible setting and lore, delivered by some of the most memorable characters and superlative writing in videogameland. 

- Rapture in Bioshock.

- Fallout 2

- Vampire The Masquerade. Seedy, weird, often ludicrous but damn good fun.  The Hollywood segment is fantastic. The Deb of Night on the radio.  Talking to inanimate objects as a Malkavian, Gary. The world has so much texture. I hope the sequel does it justice.

- Dishonored's Victorian stew of steampunk + occult is perhaps not the most original, but it's fleshed out well and looks amazing. The setting far outshone the story IMO.

- Mass Effect. I remember it having some flaws, and while new to me the premise might be well-chewed fare for anyone who's more into sci-fi than I am. I any case, from my naive POV, I loved the epic scale of the series and its setting against the beginning of the harvest in a cosmic cycle of sowing and reaping organic life throughout universe.

There must be tons more, but I'm terrible at this offhand memory retrieval thing.

I never bothered with Mass Effect, but I sucked up enough lore through osmosis. Bioware should have had the balls to just say "Indoctrination theory is fact".

The audacity of making a trilogy space opera and ending it on TRULY fucked up cosmic horror "bad ending" where your actions only slightly cushion the fall, could have shot Bioware into the history books as visionaries. Now they're just EA's bitch.