Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zemini

Which Skill Level do you plan on playing first?

Skill Level  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Which skill level will you pick on your first play through of Doom Eternal?

• I'm too young to die
    • Hurt me plenty
    • Ultra-Violence
    • Nightmare

9 hours ago, Plasma Slayer said:

Nightmare for the first go around and then Ultra-Nightmare for the second.

masochist

4 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

I'm gonna be the wimp in the thread, cause I'm doing ITYTD my first run.

That's alright :D . The devs promised difficulty scaling is better in eternal so you still would end up playing the same game unlike what feels like in 2016

4 hours ago, CasualScrub said:

I'm gonna be the wimp in the thread, cause I'm doing ITYTD my first run.

Not the only one, I would've chosen HMP at most for an initial playthrough - that is, if I could actually run the damn thing...

HMP most likely because I think I might find DE too hard due to the amount to buttons and controls.

UV. It'll be tough since I'm a new convert who got into the original dooms through 2016. From what I played at pax, this game pushes you harder than 2016 in general and need more adjusting to. For example, in DOOM 2016, 1 imp and 5 imps were pretty much exactly as threatening they just took longer to kill, but in eternal 5 imps are actually 5x as threatening, so groups of lesser enemies may still be a priority like in 1 & 2. The arenas aren't as open as 2016 either, but they're still big and now they're more vertical. It feels like if they were still as open you'd die quicker, like I remember while playing I made it a point to keep a wall between me and an arachnotron while I dealt with a group of imps and zombiemen. If people have other questions about how the difficulty feels different I'll do my best to answer, but I only got to play about 25 minutes so I can only comment on so much.

8 minutes ago, Dizza said:

UV. It'll be tough since I'm a new convert who got into the original dooms through 2016. From what I played at pax, this game pushes you harder than 2016 in general and need more adjusting to. For example, in DOOM 2016, 1 imp and 5 imps were pretty much exactly as threatening they just took longer to kill, but in eternal 5 imps are actually 5x as threatening, so groups of lesser enemies may still be a priority like in 1 & 2. The arenas aren't as open as 2016 either, but they're still big and now they're more vertical. It feels like if they were still as open you'd die quicker, like I remember while playing I made it a point to keep a wall between me and an arachnotron while I dealt with a group of imps and zombiemen. If people have other questions about how the difficulty feels different I'll do my best to answer, but I only got to play about 25 minutes so I can only comment on so much.

Assuming you played it at E3 or Quakecon.

Did you get to try multiple skill levels? If so, how much does the difficulty feel like it spikes with each skill level?

8 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Assuming you played it at E3 or Quakecon.

Did you get to try multiple skill levels? If so, how much does the difficulty feel like it spikes with each skill level?

I played on UV at the bethesda game days event that was kinda part of PAX East, waiting in line for an amount of time I don't care to disclose(no regrets), and I only got to play for 25 minutes. I didn't think to try different skill levels, I was focused on rushing through the demo to see as much as I could. Speaking of rushing through, there are still areas where you need to kill enemies to proceed, but I think you only need to kill like 90% of them to open the door, either that or the fodder don't count. There are also more areas where the demons are already in the area when you get there, and you can just run past them if you want. All the changes I've noticed so far are the right ones.

11 hours ago, dewmguy said:

That's alright :D . The devs promised difficulty scaling is better in eternal so you still would end up playing the same game unlike what feels like in 2016

Mostly it's just because I'm not very good at most games, even on PC, so playing on the easier difficulties just makes it more fun/fair for me. Glad to hear that the scaling will be better.

UV is pretty much my default difficulty for anything Doom-related, or id related for that matter, as I played all the Wolfenstein games on their respective UV equivalents, and UV is what I play every PWAD on, as well. I beat DOOM 2016 three times, once on Xbone on UV, once on PC on UV, and just finished NM on PC. I hear Eternal will be difficult, but I figure I'll just go UV and see how it goes. I likely won't be changing the difficulty mid-game, either, since I rarely do that.

Definitely UV, for me it was the most fun and balanced skill on Doom 2016 and I expect that to carry over to Eternal if they use the same kind of damage scaling. I do expect it to be harder than 2016 but I don't mind grinding a fight here and there in exchange for learning the mechanics.

Probably HMP as i'll be playing on my XB1 and i'm still kinda iffy with a controller. Should be good fun though as even more of a challenge that way though ;) Doom 2016 was fine for me on HMP (on console) and since Eternal is supposedly harder HMP should be a good starting point for me imo.

UV for my first playthrough to see what they had done with this game. To see and explore the levels. To try and experiment with weapons and so on. And then it's Nightmare time. All day everyday until I get really fucking good and confident. Only then I will begin to run it on UN. 

Edited by Enforcer

Despite the number of hours I've put into gaming over the years, I'm quite a shit gamer, so I'll start with HMP then replay it on UV. I haven't even beat 2016 on NM, not that I've tried. Maybe I'll try playing through on NM before Eternal drops.

9 minutes ago, qdash said:

Skill level - don't buy before huge price drop.

We get it. You hate the new Doom games...

16 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

ironic thing is his profile picture is one of the doom 2016 multiplayer models

22 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I love Doom '16 - multiplayer of Doom '16 and SnapMap, of course. Not boring singleplayer with endless arenas and endless gorykills... and now Doom is FPS slasher with guns! It makes me sick. I hate everything about this game. Naturally hate. I don't like LoTR, all of these characters, LoTR style boring locations(because it's not something unique, all of this we can see in any korean MMO), I don't like self-parody based on post-truth "demons afraid of doomguy", fanservice, pink ponies, Evolve style multiplayer e t.c. Rating of this game means nothing at all. It's just not for me.

17 minutes ago, qdash said:

I love Doom '16 - multiplayer of Doom '16 and SnapMap, of course. Not boring singleplayer with endless arenas and endless gorykills... and now Doom is FPS slasher with guns! It makes me sick. I hate everything about this game. Naturally hate. I don't like LoTR, all of these characters, LoTR style boring locations(because it's not something unique, all of this we can see in any korean MMO), I don't like self-parody based on post-truth "demons afraid of doomguy", fanservice, pink ponies, Evolve style multiplayer e t.c. Rating of this game means nothing at all. It's just not for me.

Lots of sweeping dismissal and broad generalizations. When I read comments like this, it makes me suspect the poster did not actually grasp the flow of combat and the resource management tools at your disposal, choosing to obsess over details like glory kills - instead of what function and purpose the glory kills serve.

I suppose you can be turned off by the "LoTR" stuff, as you call it, that's your prerogative, or just ignore the lore. It's all purposely tongue-in-cheek anyway, like Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness in video game form. 

And, and just so you know, the "pink ponies" are optional. No one forces you to use that cosmetic. You need to have Twitch Prime and purposely link the account to get the stupid thing anyway. I swear to Doomguy, I have absolutely no patience for people that bitch about optional content and actually count something they will never use, nor ever have to use, as a negative. It's the equivalent of being legitimately upset that people have the option of choosing a flavor of ice cream you don't like, even if you never eat it or are compelled to do so in any way.

4 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

And, and just so you know, the "pink ponies" are optional. No one forces you to use that cosmetic. You need to have Twitch Prime and purposely link the account to get the stupid thing anyway. I swear to Doomguy, I have absolutely no patience for people that bitch about optional content and actually count something they will never use, nor ever have to use, as a negative. It's the equivalent of being legitimately upset that people have the option of choosing a flavor of ice cream you don't like, even if you never eat it or are compelled to do so in any way.

It's just ruining atmosphere and aesthetics of this game - nothing more and nothing less. Good assortment this kind of shitty cosmetics is already in QC, we can only imagine how many stupid "pink ponies" will be added in Doom Eternal after few months.

3 minutes ago, qdash said:

It's just ruining atmosphere and aesthetics of this game - nothing more and nothing less. Good assortment this kind of shitty cosmetics is already in QC, we can only imagine how many stupid "pink ponies" will be added in Doom Eternal after few months.

At the risk of repeating myself: they are optional, you don't have to use them. They would only "ruin the atmosphere" for you if you use them. Why not just not use them and thus not "ruin the atmosphere"? Why are optional things you will never use such a hang up?

58 minutes ago, qdash said:

Not boring singleplayer with endless arenas and endless gorykills... and now Doom is FPS slasher with guns! It makes me sick. I hate everything about this game. Naturally hate. I don't like LoTR, all of these characters, LoTR style boring locations(because it's not something unique, all of this we can see in any korean MMO), I don't like self-parody based on post-truth "demons afraid of doomguy", fanservice, pink ponies.

Sounds more like a you problem and not the game itself.

1 minute ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

At the risk of repeating myself. They are optional, you don't have to use them. They would only "ruin the atmosphere" for you if you use them. Why not just not use them and thus not "ruin the atmosphere"? Why are optional things you will never use such a hang up?

Because of other people who will use it in BattleMode, for example or "Invasion". Capisce?

1 hour ago, qdash said:

I love Doom '16 - multiplayer ...

the Multiplayer was pretty much just Call of Duty...

which explains your views on the singleplayer since it isn't a generic Modern Warfare clone like the MP

1 hour ago, qdash said:

I hate everything about this game.

for something you hate, You sure love talking about it over and over...

we get it You're a REAL DOOM FAN

Even if you choose not to turn off player customisation, I seriously doubt that the silly pony skins are going to be all that popular among the playerbase. I know that Bethesda have been casting a wide net with the marketing, but that's not going to change the fact that an action-FPS game primarily centered around gorily murdering demons is going to appeal to a certain kind of audience.

5 minutes ago, qdash said:

Because of other people who will use it in BattleMode, for example or "Invasion". Capisce?

I see no technical reason why they couldn't allow players to make other players' custom skins appear as the defaults.

Just now, NoXion said:

I see no technical reason why they couldn't allow players to make other players' custom skins appear as the defaults.

It's confirmed feature?