Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K12machinima

Ulcer: A WAD by K12machinima

The HUGE Guts of It:

Well, hello there, everybody. I've been working on this project, off-and-on for about 2 years now, and had the urge to suddenly finish it off before I move to a new place. It's been a long, arduous battle with depression, life, work, and the usual, but, I still managed to work on this little project over that whole time, and said the other night, "Why not just release Ulcer, Seth? It's been on the back-burner for like... months..."

I promptly punched the mirror, sat my ass down, and finished it... or... well... I deleted the follow-up level that I was working on 6 months ago, while cleaning up my desktop... cried... and decided to just test and tart up what I had done with this map, and call it good for now; maybe in due time I'll release a second map called Kidney Stone, who knows?

This isn't what I'd call my best work, and as a creative type, I certainly am my own worst critic; even the music track I made for this map is actually a per-existing track I'd worked on almost half a year ago, and I decided to just kinda roll with the punches, since I wanted it to be a track for the second map I was working on... but... what can ya do, you know - don't tell me it's like all the music was made for it, and fits the tone, it's literally a coincidence that the track even loops the way it does.

This WAD should only be played using GZDoom, since, you know, I'm not one of THOSE people that tries to run Doom in DOS... you people are weird... next thing you're gonna tell me that sand in your clam chowder is good, and not a sign of an unsanitary kitchen... By extension, I'm sure this could run in ZDoom, or maybe even Skulltag, but just, please, don't be like "Uuuuuh... Seth... why doesn't this work in (insert source port I've never even bothered to touch here) you idiot, what are you stupid!?" A good 50% of the WAD relies on scripting and entities from Doom in Hexen format, so, please, ensure you're using the latest version of GZDoom before you even run the WAD.

If it wasn't clear, I was heavily inspired by Blue Eagle's wonderful Unloved WAD, and I cite it as my favorite WAD, almost instantly, so, be a champ and praise him first, not me. The other obvious influences are Serious Sam, DUSK, Quake, and the other big boys of the FPS genre. Much like anything creative, creativity comes from inspiration, so, if anything, this is just my own love-letter to all those games and medias that influenced Ulcer's creation.

The Story:

You're dead.

What? You expected there to be more to this, just because I'm a writer? The story is for you decide and infer.

TRAILER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDj-vaqlKpw&feature=youtu.be

The WAD:

Yeah, I know the WAD file is a bit beefy, due to the fact I used a very long audio track, and multiple audio tracks for various bits of the WAD. This is why I'm using Dropbox for this, as I don't think I was able to transfer it over through Filezilla due to the audio taking up so much space - not to mention where I live (at the time of writing this), my internet is basically sticks and stones, and it disconnected multiple times just trying to transfer files over...

While this downloads, go brew yourself some coffee, get relaxed, talk to a relative or loved one - if you have any - and get ready to give yourself an ulcer... figure of speech, I hope you know... or, maybe don't do any of that - just stare at your download bar like an insane person, I won't judge you... much...

Ulcer - Dropbox

The Naughty Bits:

In case I haven't made it clear...

Go get Paul's wonderful Unloved after you finish this, and put my WAD in the recycle bin.

Also, go get yourself Hell Ground after you're done with Unloved, just to be safe, and sweep all thought of me from thy mind. As thy kind always have...

Doom Builder

SLADE

The Greatest Man That Ever Lived

Extra Fishy Sticks To:

Doom Builder, SLADE, Chubzdoomer, Doomworld, Id Software, the Doom community, my YouTube gents, my friends in real life that tolerate my rambolic and boring nature, my cat Frampt, my ex (actually was a huge part of the creation of Ulcer, in a good way), all the heavy metal I listened to while mapping, my job, and YOU for giving Ulcer a chance!

- Seth

The Naughty Pics:

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_174723.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175356.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_174925.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_174747.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175404.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175335.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_174657.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175453.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175106.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175532.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_174706.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200302_175322.png

Edited by K12machinima : Final-final touches... it's midnight here...