Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

(Dread not dead, now Grind and with source) Dread - A Doom clone for Amiga 500 and... Atari ST/STE.

These are impressive - both Dread and Silas' Adventure. I'll contact Kluczek to have those in my hands, and perhaps even a li'l bit of documentation!

10 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

These are impressive - both Dread and Silas' Adventure. I'll contact Kluczek to have those in my hands, and perhaps even a li'l bit of documentation!

Regarding the bolded: Silas Adventure is already out and about - Just google.

As for Dread and the Documentation - Please do not - Due to his demoscene work, Kluczek is swamped in work, and i'd rather not have him be bothered by such requests for the time being - First lets see if Dread comes to fruition. I simply made this for more recognition as its an impressive piece of code as it stands.

5 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

this is really cool! also, are those freedoom graphics?

As is stated in the OP, yes.

Certainly a nice project and very cool. There are plenty of Doom clones on the Amiga 500 already, though.

3 hours ago, elend said:

Certainly a nice project and very cool. There are plenty of Doom clones on the Amiga 500 already, though.

I take up this challenge:

• Are those as impressive as this?
  • Which others besides Citadel would run on a Amiga 500?

Technically speaking you could run a lot of the other Amiga titles on OCS (Which is what Amiga 500 has) but they all really require an 68020 to get any playable performance out of the machine. So these are usually A1200.

Here is a list of Amiga shooters nicely categorized.

I'm thinking the limitations of this engine could be an interesting starting point for a limited mapping project. All map heights must be multiples of 64. Doors must be sliding (use DotB trick for that), and elevators must be instant effects (lower to highest/raise to lowest) to prevent non-64-multiple heights from appearing.

Can a game be considered a Doom clone if there is no height variation? Isn't this more of a Wolf3D clone?

Redneckerz: Yeah, fair enough. Not to take anything away from it, it is very impressive and awesome. The fact that he makes maps with Doom Builder even more so. If I'd still have my Amiga I'd actually map for this.

VGA: Good point actually. Back then it might have been okay to call everything a Doom clone, but now it seems a little bit silly maybe.

13 hours ago, VGA said:

Can a game be considered a Doom clone if there is no height variation? Isn't this more of a Wolf3D clone?

What is a Doom clone anyway? We have quite literal clones like Quiver, but we also have something like Klooni (Which is actually Wolf3D based)

I think this is halfway, and similar to the SNES version of Doom. Retroactively, because of its different engine, we could ask that version the same question.

13 hours ago, elend said:

Redneckerz: Yeah, fair enough. Not to take anything away from it, it is very impressive and awesome. The fact that he makes maps with Doom Builder even more so. If I'd still have my Amiga I'd actually map for this.

I do wonder how he is going to do this with his engine - Clearly he already has a custom map format that Doom Builder accepts, so it adhers to some Doom map referential data. Is it going to be open source? Who knows.

Nevertheless, projects like these are infinitely and interesting - and couldn't exist if other efforts from the community were never made (in this case Freedoom).

Love to see how this develops.

57 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

What is a Doom clone anyway?

An enjoyable pile of secrets, items, and kills.

Update:

Episodes 2 and 3 have been released:

Episode 2: Laying out the map:

Episode 3: Knee-deep in mapping:

Update:

Episodes 4 and 5 are done and up for grabs. The title is slowly coming to a finish!

Episode 4: Revisiting the graphics:

Episode 5: Weapons and pixels:

Amazing work ... is it finalised? Maybe a DW Community map pack project is in order?!

On 10/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, VGA said:

Amazing work ... is it finalised? Maybe a DW Community map pack project is in order?!

The weaponry is it seems, but still some work to do. The performance is amazing given the platform it runs on.

What really killed FPS performance on the Amiga computers was the planar display -simply put, from a programming point of view, you could not just write a pixel where you wanted to, which was essential for this kind of games, especially with texture-mapping into play. That meant that even at absolute CPU power parity with a Pee-Cee, you would still lag behind somewhat, in order to produce a pixel-per-pixel similar display. That is, if you could not use the inherent advantages of planar displays like tile-based graphics, bitwise masking, rapid color fills etc. Good for 2D games and even plain 3D polygon-based graphics, not so much for textured 3D graphics.

With solid-colored floors/ceilings you could exploit the blitter/Copper chip and do rapid area fills, but stuff like textures just doesn't "fit" into how the graphics on these machines worked. Not even AGA chipsets solved this problem -AFAIK only the Amiga CD32 had built-in hardware to do planar-to-chunky conversion without killing the CPU.

The same problems more or less existed on platforms like the Genesis/Mega Drive, but I guess they used similar programming tricks -in particular the "striped" look of textures looks very similar, though I'm not exactly sure what does that mean from a programming/technical point of view.

Already bet that there's a recreation WAD in the works... or soon will be, and I'm not a gambling man.
There's as much an obsession with console ports as there is with needlessly porting them back to PC. That would be interesting to see.

Dread has seen some extensive help by Tsak from Pixelglass, illustrating the new layers of texturing, custom made for the Dread engine. There is also a 3D level previewer in Altair's tool, and they are even saving on RAM.

So here is a comparison slide: Alien Breed 3D, Dread, and Fears. Can you guess which one is which? :)

uc?id=1uZ-lg4a7avuzEPvHmuoDgSiGTKVaSVVq

I used to have an Amiga 500 back in the day. I was into it big time. Alas, I no longer have it though.

This is a really cool project! Glad to see it, thank you for posting.

Kepy you waiting, huh? So here are Episodes 6, 7 and 8 which released yesterday. DreadGuy has some smooth weapon animations and enemies are in, courtesy of Pixelglass.

It keeps being impressive considering this is running 15 FPS on a Amiga 500.

Hi guys! I'm one of the developers of this project.

Let me first start by thanking @Redneckerz for this thread! It's really interesting to see Dread being discussed in Doomworld and outside the small boundaries of the Amiga community :)

A couple replies: 

On 3/3/2020 at 5:22 PM, cambreaKer said:

this is really cool! also, are those freedoom graphics?

Indeed they are. I'd like to give a HUGE thanks to the FreeDoom team! As the project lacked an art team early on, KK had to find some way to prototype and test. 
And he opted to go with Free-Doom assets being accessible (and close to what he had in mind). The recent total gfx replacement still features a lot of Free-Doom stuff but all of them are heavilly repixeled/retouched and custom made for this engine. I'd be happy to donate back to the Free-Doom project all of these reworked assets once we're done with the demo (though realistically 1x2 res assets and other downscaled gfx ain't going to be much useful anyhow). 

On 3/4/2020 at 3:51 AM, VGA said:

Sort of, minus the fact that the Dread engine can do sloped walls, floor shadows, variable wall heights (limited for now), outdoors locations and genearlly a lot more complex geometry. So practically whatever Doom can do, except staircases and floor/ceiling textures. Good news is that KK has already prototyped staircases and variable floor heights (spoiler section in the latest video) so this will bring the engine several steps closer.

On 3/4/2020 at 5:42 PM, Redneckerz said:

I do wonder how he is going to do this with his engine - Clearly he already has a custom map format that Doom Builder accepts, so it adhers to some Doom map referential data. Is it going to be open source? Who knows.

Yes, we use a custom format for Doom Builder. Once the demo is out and the dev tools are in shape we'll be releasing them to the public. Code will probably be closed source (not entirely sure about that) but the custom map format and the UI (which we use to setup the assets) will be freely available. I'm really curious to see what the community can come up with, plus we'd love to attract some experienced map builders to the project as well :)

On 10/5/2020 at 1:01 AM, VGA said:

Currently the plan is to release the tech demo and the toolset (this might come quite soon). Following that we'll focus to bring-in the missing engine features (like staircases and music support) as well as work towards a completely original title (replacing all Free-doom refferences and assets in the process). 

Is this Doom clone PAL-only, or does it work on NTSC Amigas?

I'm asking because NTSC artefacting can help smooth out vertical stripe dithering on composite.

I know this video is about the Mega Drive, but I'm sure the same thing can apply to other NTSC systems with a horizontal resolution of 320 or more.

6 hours ago, tsak said:

Hi guys! I'm one of the developers of this project.

Let me first start by thanking @Redneckerz for this thread! It's really interesting to see Dread being discussed in Doomworld and outside the small boundaries of the Amiga community :)

I keep close track to the Abime thread and am delighted by the progress it holds :)

6 hours ago, tsak said:

Yes, we use a custom format for Doom Builder. Once the demo is out and the dev tools are in shape we'll be releasing them to the public. Code will probably be closed source (not entirely sure about that) but the custom map format and the UI (which we use to setup the assets) will be freely available. I'm really curious to see what the community can come up with, plus we'd love to attract some experienced map builders to the project as well :)

I assume the format for Doom Builder comes in the form of a plugin, or are you using a customized Doom Builder build?

Because Dread mapping could well be interesting :) It really takes into account what an A500 is capable of at playable framerates*

* There are more impressive (demoscene) productions including clever usage of 3D, but those aren't games. Dread is, and its quite a work of art (As is Silas Adventure for the Lynx, also by KK :))

6 hours ago, tsak said:

Currently the plan is to release the tech demo and the toolset (this might come quite soon). Following that we'll focus to bring-in the missing engine features (like staircases and music support) as well as work towards a completely original title (replacing all Free-doom refferences and assets in the process). 

If a How to Dread mapping can exist, perhaps this community can assist in creating new levels - Heck, maybe even a megawad? The Doom Community plays host to several megawad series focussing on small size, limits on the amount of lines to be used or sectors and more. I am sure utilizing such a concept could result in a Dread megawad to be made that still fits within size constraints of the A500.

I really need to get something that's able to write Amiga software on disks. 

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I keep close track to the Abime thread and am delighted by the progress it holds :)

I assume the format for Doom Builder comes in the form of a plugin, or are you using a customized Doom Builder build?

Because Dread mapping could well be interesting :) It really takes into account what an A500 is capable of at playable framerates*

* There are more impressive (demoscene) productions including clever usage of 3D, but those aren't games. Dread is, and its quite a work of art (As is Silas Adventure for the Lynx, also by KK :))

If a How to Dread mapping can exist, perhaps this community can assist in creating new levels - Heck, maybe even a megawad? The Doom Community plays host to several megawad series focussing on small size, limits on the amount of lines to be used or sectors and more. I am sure utilizing such a concept could result in a Dread megawad to be made that still fits within size constraints of the A500.

It's a plugin, yes. Other than that we use the standard Doom Builder. I think the game doesn't do automatic partitioning yet but that might change. Also KK keeps documentation with any feature added, so there will be instructions for any limitations and keeping the frame rate playable. Basically so far (and from what I've seen myself) the engine is able to render pretty big rooms (or multiple rooms with a clear line of sight) with quite large render distances which are somewhat comparable to vanilla Doom. But the limitations are there and you can't just go wild (not if you want the game to be playable with unexpanded a500s that is).  

As for a Dread megawad (with the assistance of the Doom Community) we definitely would be delighted to see one!

6 hours ago, Muusi said:

I really need to get something that's able to write Amiga software on disks. 

You mean get an ADF to a physical disk? There are various programs on Aminet which can do exactly that. You need to do this from a real Amiga though.

13 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Is this Doom clone PAL-only, or does it work on NTSC Amigas?

I'm asking because NTSC artefacting can help smooth out vertical stripe dithering on composite.

I know this video is about the Mega Drive, but I'm sure the same thing can apply to other NTSC systems with a horizontal resolution of 320 or more.

Screen size the game is NTSC compatible, though I'm not sure KK has this tested on NTSC Amigas yet.  So I'd (safely) say here: perhaps. This will be cleared when the demo is out.

As for the dither effect you've mentioned (with the Genesis example above), this has nothing to do with NTSC but rather with the composite video output and CRT monitors/TVs. I.e. even with a PAL Amiga the results will be pretty much the same (in regards to color blending) if you use Amiga's composite and a CRT monitor. And even without composite (using just the RGB output which gives MUCH better picture quality) you'd still get a good amount of blending on a CRT.  

In any case this doesn't really matter because (from the last video and the full gfx upgrade we did) we've completely abandoned the old, full vertical dither, in favor of doubling the horizontal resolution (thus displaying extra detail with textures, enemies e.t.c.). We can still use dither manually if we want (baked into the assets) which will yield the same blending results in CRTs.

Btw here's an example of how the game used to look (below) and how it looks now (above)

Dread-enemy-showcase.png

20 minutes ago, tsak said:

You need to do this from a real Amiga though.

That's exactly the problem. It's not like I can just plug a null modem into my PC and transfer files🤔