Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hisymak

What was the first Megawad (custom level pack) you ever played in your life and how you got it?

My first pwad was Icarus: Alien Vanguard. When I started playing Doom on PC and exploring the fanmade contents, I came across a fansite that presented it as a must have from TeamTNT.
And I wasn't disappointed, very good musics and settings, was so refreshing after playing the official levels for ages on consoles.

It was a hard wad, I didn't even play Final doom at that point

IIRC it was either Hell Revealed 1 or TNT: Revilution

Alfred. Yeah, what a way to start, right?

Can't remember how I got it - probably off some Angelfire site or something. Tip: don't try to 100% it.

It was either Hell Revealed, Cyberdreams or Doom 64 TC. Except for Doom 64, no idea how I got the other two, or heard of them.

It was Hell Revealed, I believe the first one, not sure when. The slaughtery fights definitely surprised me, I didn't finish it.

I think it was Dimensions Of Time, I can't remember exactly if it was that or something else

I may need to replay that wad sometime to refresh my memory.

Squadron 417, that was a lot of fun (did remove the sounds). Also Memento Mori 2 and Icarus.

I'm not sure if Action Doom 2 counts. But it's the first "custom level pack" I remember playing. I wanted to try it, because it reminded me of XIII.

Eviternity. 

I know it's very recent but I started playing Doom just a year ago, so it should make sense.

If I remember well it was Hell Revealed. 

I remember that I was so surprised to see barons and cyberdemons used so frequently that I immediately loved the megawad. Now  it is out of my top ten but for a first experience it was fantastic (I played Plutonia after it so it was the first hard wad that I played).

May sound funny but that wad Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel made was the first custom map I ever played way back then. If you went to their old website there was a link to it, that's how I learned about it.

First one I remember was Memento Mori, But the first one I played was a single map wad for Doom that took place in a big warehouse, and I think you entered a spaceship at the end? If anybody has any theories on what that wad was i'd be glad to hear them.

Anyone remember waaay back when Prboom was distributed with Freedoom? Am I remembering this right? That'd probably be it.

3 hours ago, DavitW said:

First one I remember was Memento Mori, But the first one I played was a single map wad for Doom that took place in a big warehouse, and I think you entered a spaceship at the end? If anybody has any theories on what that wad was i'd be glad to hear them.

Galaxia!

Cyberdreams from 1998. First played it around 2007. An interesting wad of levels designed around Cyberdemon fights that were puzzle oriented. 

Memento Mori and it's sequel were the other two first WADs I played, leading to Requiem which has always been my favorite. 

I started off by playing WADs from "The Top 100 WADs Of All Time" list here on DW and i actually started with the 1994 ones and moved up that way. As most people already stated, most of the early PWAD's were just either single maps or episode replacements. So Crossing Acheron is the first actual map i played (from what i remember), and this was in the mid-late 2000's as well. Pretty crazy imo but it's stood up well.

Serenity is the first episode replacement that i played. The first Doom II megawad that i played was probably Memento Mori. I started to skip around on the list after playing the 1994 and some 1995 WADs ;)

I do have to state though that UACDEAD is probably one of my fav maps of all time, along with Crossing Acheron of course ;)

Hell Revealed. I heard of it at a time when I hadn't even played Doom 2 yet, and hearing about how super hard it was made me want to try it (but I waited until after I'd played all the IWADs). It turned out that map13's cage trap was too much for me at the time, and I gave up after finishing that map since I'd heard map14 was even harder.

I somehow stumbled onto Tech Planet's Top 10 Doom Wads video. Original is gone, but here is a remake. There I've seen Knee Deep In Zdoom and decided to download it.

I don't even remember where I got Zdoom, Iwads, and KDiZD. I've played KDiZD, then Evilution and Plutonia (I didn't even knew that these 2 are official games). After that I played Winter's Fury.

As for the first megawad, I downloaded and played Community Chest 3. I don't remember, why I decided to download this one exactly. I think, I've stumbled onto it from Cacoward page, when searching something related to KDiZD.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:53 AM, Firedust said:

Memento Mori.

Didn't age well lmao

same here. memento mori. user-made megawads were a novelty back then. and mm2 and requiem. downloaded these from ftp.cdrom.com or its mirrors at uni, brought them home on diskettes.

Seeing all these "modern" answers, I really feel old.
Does FAVA BEANS ring any bells? Technically. it is not a MEGA-Wad, but it was the first multi-level pwad I played.
Can't remember: Did Compuserve's "Action"- Forum provide DLs? I've probably got it from there or from some BBS...
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/0-9/01fava

I'm fairly sure I dipped my toes into a few WADs before getting the DOOM bug for real. The first one I remember completing outside of the IWADs (does DOOM 64 count as one?), however, is Pirate DOOM. For some reason that I'm not sure of. I don't really have any relation to the pirate theme at all, but I think it seemed to be so random that I kind of got hooked. After that I stumbled into Alien Vendetta and it was so freaking good. It illustrated for me how much of an improvement the mapping folks have made over the originals that I couldn't, and can't, stop DOOMing. :)

23 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Seeing all these "modern" answers, I really feel old.
Does FAVA BEANS ring any bells? Technically. it is not a MEGA-Wad, but it was the first multi-level pwad I played.
Can't remember: Did Compuserve's "Action"- Forum provide DLs? I've probably got it from there or from some BBS...
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/0-9/01fava

I played Fava Beans a year or two ago because it's mentioned in the "WAD Progression for Skill Improvement" thread, and I decided for myself to do them in order, skipping the ones I've already done.