Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

I never said it was the solution i just said that more people need to focus on the problem that is overpopulation before it gets out of hand.

Although it is not very deadly, the problem is that it must still be treated, it is not something that can be treated easily like a cold, the biggest problem is the high infectivity it has, before anything else, and see how people take precautions really change my mindset, A simple drop of saliva is enough to make you fall.

10 minutes ago, vinnie245 said:

I never said it was the solution i just said that more people need to focus on the problem that is overpopulation before it gets out of hand.

I agree but it's been shown that people have fewer children when life is good, and improving quality of life, education, and access to reproductive and other health care is the best way to that. Not "let a disease wipe people out".

I think it is still to early to predict the final scale. I guess that people in #1 world countries are still rather safe because of mostly rather modern and functional medical enviroments (you can have the elderly, old, infants and people with weak immune defence on the list of the most endangered groups). Still, most of the world is #2 and #3 world countries. What will happen if the virus arrives at the vast refugee camps of the Middle East ? It is still to early to predict but i personally think that this has the potential to kill some people for sure.

It has generated tons of cancer memes in the spanish-speaking world, and it's killing me worse than if the actual virus was killing me.

BTW first case confirmed in my country two hours ago.

2 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

Overrated, like that swine flu. Media-fuelled hysteria.

The swine flu wasn't as deadly.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

There are a dozen other diseases out there that are more likely to kill you than this thing. Hell, the virus in itself isn't much worse than the common cold at its mildest.

Yeah but other diseases are less contagious, or are preventable or treatable. Also I wouldn't want to get infected: what about long-term effects?

2 hours ago, Lynnie said:

If it gets me and I die, that'll be that. No use panicking over something like this.

You could at least try protecting yourself long enough to avoid getting infected.

For me this is overall pretty concerning. It's the first time I'm feeling fear, as if being scared of predators. Luckily the eastern Europe is still very little affected, but we'll see later. I'll probably survive it (I'm generally very healthy), but don't want to expose mom and others to it. But even if I survive it without any ailments, what if the virus reactivates later or has chronic effects? I'd say it's better to stay home and avoid getting infected until the virus fades away.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

In my case, it is a bit concerning. While there are only five cases in my country so far, two of its neighboring countries are China and Iran. And mine is a third-world country which means less resources to contain the virus spread.

2 or 3 here, plus one that is still being questioned.

We have a horrendous health system even though we're not a third world country on paper, and seasonal flu + infected public hospitals and incompetent doctors kill A LOT more people every year here. This is what makes the Coronavirus panic baffling to me. We've been literally dying for years for all sorts of dumb reasons, but people react to Coronavirus as if it's the Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse™.

Edited by seed

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Death of a billion people is not the solution. Education and birth control are.

yeah put a condom on ya horny fucks

7 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

yeah put a condom on ya horny fucks

In underdeveloped countries, manual labor is still the primary source of wealth in the mind of most people (in the global north, manual labor is worthless), so having a lot of children is your way to prosperity. There's usually little, if any, pension systems for the elderly so your plan for when you become too old and weak to work is to have your children taking care of you.

Well, I've learned two things from this:

Given sufficient provocation, the media will write up anything as if 10,000 Barons of Hell* are storm-trooping down Whitehall as we speak :)

To completely disable the World Economy, target ...

not the Bank of England, Federal Reserve
not the Prime Minister, PoTUS, Putin
not the big cities such as Paris, London

Spoiler

just NUKE FOXCONN and watch the economy die!

* Other monsters are available, apply at your local slipgate :p

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

While there are only five cases in my country so far, two of its neighboring countries are China and Iran.

Let me guess... Are you Pakistani?

3 hours ago, vinnie245 said:

Overpopulation is a very serious issue though and one that hardly anyone is talking about, if the pattern continues as it has in the past 30 years we will have 16 BILLION people on earth by the end of the century... that doesn't sound sustainable to me.

Overpopulation isn't a very serious issue. Not at all.

Anyone crying about overpopulation is a fucking idiot who doesn't understand the basics of science.

We can easily have 15 billion people on this planet, and sociologists expect Earth will never go beyond 12 billion people because guess what, humans are smart animals that can stabilize their own population growth. We're not fucking lemmings. The problem is fucking climate change, farming taking up too much land, environmental damage, animal populations dropping and cascading into mass extinction. That shit is what's killing our chances as humans to keep existing for millions of years like an actually successful animal species.

Add all the space that's in orbit around Earth and you can go up all the way to 30 billion people living around Earth, maybe even more.

death.. is a part of life.. life... is a part of death.. we will all die at some stage be it coronavirus...lynched...drowned...choking on popcorn ..old age..what does it matter in all honesty... but.. sure try to limit your interaction with others as much as possible..if somebody looks sick or seems a bit off.. stay away....just common sense...stock up on food just incase because while it may seem stupid.. it is not...if you have enough money to bulk buy your food right now.. freeze it... store it somehow...alot of things come from china.. for at least a couple months -1yr depending on how rich you are....we dont know how long this will go for....but if you cant do any of this ...well ... what can you do people need money..jobs... provide for the family....but thats how the dice rolls... this is the time where rich people thrive while the poor die unless super smart about how they go about things...idk people just stay safe and enjoy your life or whatever is left of it.. you get one.. it shouldnt take a virus to make people love ones own life..  ._.

You shouldn't drink "beer" brewed from tumbleweeds.

Edited by Gokuma

2 hours ago, Gez said:

In underdeveloped countries, manual labor is still the primary source of wealth in the mind of most people (in the global north, manual labor is worthless), so having a lot of children is your way to prosperity. There's usually little, if any, pension systems for the elderly so your plan for when you become too old and weak to work is to have your children taking care of you.

However, the environmental impact per capita of an underdeveloped nation is far less than that of a developed one

One thing to note is that the southern hemisphere, at least for now, is saved from a big outbreak because of the heat of the summer, here in Argentina we are suffering 37ºC, at least in my city, 40ºC probably in the north. Another thing here is that we have things like Dengue or Chagas disease which are far worse destinies than a bad case of pneumonia with a crown. Don't care if some of them are not contagious, I think those are more of a concern in some isolated parts of the country.

Also, there are cases of Measles without having one here since 1998 here,  and nobody seems to say anything about it, only because talking of CoronaVirus on TV is like YouTubers fighting on YouTube, easy views.
I just want to shoot my head of everytime I hear coronavirus, or see random millenial memes of it on Facebook, honestly, it's cringy.
I think, even though it was a random flu, the influenza was far worse in terms of pandemics, at least here.

Consider that Chinese death rates of the Corona virus might not translate as "well" to other nations, since China has a FUCKTON of toxic smog in the air that will already kill thousands of people a year without any viruses involved.

Americans are fucked tho. Who would have thought that environmental laws are good for your health?

1 hour ago, FractalBeast said:

We can easily have 15 billion people on this planet

I see this parroted often on Reddit, but never is it actually qualified what the living standards of those supposed 15 billion people would be like. Would most of them be on the verge of starving or would they live relatively comfortable lives? Is this based on a realistic, or an utopian scenario?

According to this BBC article, there is no real consensus on the actual carrying capacity, and the most estimated sustainable population size is at around 8 Billion, which will be reached in a few years.  According to this article the world can only support roughly 1.5-2 Billion if everyone was consuming at the rate of the average American, taking into account pollution, food, water, etc.. I don't think people are going to freely lower their standards, and since most developing nations are aiming to eventually reach those American standards for their own population, I hence personally believe that a 15 billion estimate is vastly optimistic.

38 minutes ago, Doom64hunter said:

I see this parroted often on Reddit, but never is it actually qualified what the living standards of those supposed 15 billion people would be like. Would most of them be on the verge of starving or would they live relatively comfortable lives? Is this based on a realistic, or an utopian scenario?

According to this BBC article, there is no real consensus on the actual carrying capacity, and the most estimated sustainable population size is at around 8 Billion, which will be reached in a few years.  According to this article the world can only support roughly 1.5-2 Billion if everyone was consuming at the rate of the average American, taking into account pollution, food, water, etc.. I don't think people are going to freely lower their standards, and since most developing nations are aiming to eventually reach those American standards for their own population, I hence personally believe that a 15 billion estimate is vastly optimistic.

You do realise that technology improves? And with 15 billion people around, technology will improve at double the speed it does today.

About that virus: I am currently living in China and experienced it more or less first hand. Well, I am not living in Wuhan, but close. When first news of infections started to appear my wife (a doctor) was immediately reminded of the SARS epidemic and took precautions that - at the time - seemed a bit silly. She bought a ton of face masks, desinfectant and gloves, as well as groceries to last at least a week. And didn't you know it, a couple of days later all face masks were sold out and we were basically quarantined in our house. The chinese new year's holiday (aka spring festival) was prolonged for almost two weeks, people worked from home if possible and the whole country of 1.4 billion people basically stood completely still. If you entered our building complex you got your temperature checked and when you left, too. When you approach the supermarket you get your temperature checked as well. We got vouchers for one member of the household to leave exactly three times a week to buy groceries. While all this seems very harsh for a virus that is similar to the flu, you have to consider the following things:

- There are many, many, many people in China. Yes, you have heard this before, and of course you know this. But in reality you have no idea how it really is, if you have never visited China during holidays. I can't stress this enough. I have been to China many times before as a tourist and it is very different than actually living and working here. I made the mistake once and visited Hangzhou during spring festival and it was utterly mind boggling.

- The virus emerged shortly before the spring festival holidays. Holidays, where about 800.000.000 people are traveling. In a time frame of 1 week. All at the same time. Those holidays are incredibly important to the Chinese, comparable only to Christmas in the west, if western families would have way stronger family ties and the only week off during the whole year.

Once you have experienced a chinese city during rush hour or the holidays, you understand the draconian measures the government had to take. There is no escape from people, it is very easy to catch something here, which makes an epidemic (of then yet unknown proportions) really, really scary and dangerous. Especially during a time where 800 million people are travelling and spreading that shit all over the country (and outside). Also, contrary to popular belief, the Chinese don't always do what the authorities tell them, to. Just asking them kindly "to stay at home" would not have worked. You need a bit more force than that. So, imho, the Chinese government did everything right, albeit a bit too late. We see the same things happening now in most other countries. No country seems to be prepared for something like this and no matter how many fingers they like to point at China, very rarely do they do things "better". And like I said, keep China's circumstances in mind. China is very different from western countries, many people always forget that. You can't judge chinese actions and circumstances from a western viewpoint, that just doesn't work.

Now for the virus in YOUR country. If you are not in South Korea or Italy I wouldn't worry too much. It's easy to avoid people in the west, the risk to get infected seems very, very low and the health care is usually equipped enough so that you don't die. What I do worry about are my parents though. I mean, they are old, they could easily die from a pneumonia and of course I would not want that to happen. So, my recommendation is the usual: Just keep basic precautions (stay away from sneezing people, avoid huge gatherings of people, wash hands carefully and often). This stuff doesn't cost you anything, is very easy to do and should be common sense anyway.

E-Currency: Of course this is every government's dream because it's absolutely traceable (well definitely more traceable than cash). It will come, it will happen. And it will - like with many things pushed into existence before finishing gestation - cause massive problems at first, maybe draw some criticism and protests, but everything will eventually calm down and people just accept it as their new reality. Like everything before.

Overpopulation: There is a neat "Kurzgesagt" video on YouTube explaining overpopulation and how it works and (most probably) won't be an issue in the future. Well worth a look.

Apparently our country hasn't received any new cases of infected people (every prior cases have been successfully treated using our own medicine, no signs of virus resurfacing), so yeah, I'll say not so much. Things have gotten a bit complicated though (due to our country being rated as one of the most safe places to travel in during this time)

(It's also kind of impressive considering our country is located right in the south of China.)

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

8 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

It has generated tons of cancer memes in the spanish-speaking world, and it's killing me worse than if the actual virus was killing me.

True, i confirm this as a spanish speaker, At first I even laughed at the memes, but as I said, after seeing how the situation is, it does not give a single reason for laughter, it is simply depressing to see how people are trapped in their own city by an invisible enemy

7 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Let me guess... Are you Pakistani?

Spoiler

Yes

I too think it's overblown, it's biggest threat being no vaccine exists yet. But guess what? The flu evolves too and that lessens the effectiveness of its' vaccines all the time.

No need to wash your hands [more often], stay in or do different even if u feel sick... it's business as usual, ppl.

I live about 0.2 miles away from the Life Care Center in Washington State where a good half of the US deaths have occurred. Having it so close, especially as a few of my friends work in the medical field and have interacted with people who live there, definitely makes it all a lot more real. 

All that being said, I'm not personally concerned for my own well being. But if I do somehow catch it I want to be vigilant I don't pass it on to someone immunocompromised and risk their life. 

1 hour ago, ShadesMaster said:

I too think it's overblown, it's biggest threat being no vaccine exists yet. But guess what? The flu evolves too and that lessens the effectiveness of its' vaccines all the time.

No need to wash your hands [more often], stay in or do different even if u feel sick... it's business as usual, ppl.

true that about the vaccines... last year i was vaccined and caught the flue 4 seperate times it was nuts it kept mutating.. nasty stuff

I'm not concerned about it, hasn't hit my region of the UK yet. I couldn't really care if I somehow got the virus.

Panic and fear kill us more than this virus. Thousands of people recovered from this disease, those who died already had other health problems or were old. Take the basic measures like clean your hands after you return, avoid sneezing people, often open your windows and so on. What we should look out is upcoming economic recession, due this damn virus. We survived lots of viruses already, nothing new on this earth. 

8 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

You do realise that technology improves? And with 15 billion people around, technology will improve at double the speed it does today.

Technology improvement are also responsible for the massive destruction of the ecosystem going on, because the way we made farming more efficient is to make it unsustainable with phosphates, pesticides, and intensive monoculture.

Here's a little fucked up anecdote. Beekeepers move their beehives to be near to where the flowers are. In America, trucks loaded with nothing but beehives travel next to orchards so that the bees can pollinate the fruit trees; it's actually the beekeepers' primary business model as they make more money selling their pollination services than they make selling the honey.

YRySoVb.jpg

Well, in China, it's the other way around: beekeepers move their beehives away from the flowers to make sure they only eat sugar water. Pollination has to be done by hand. Why? Pesticides. See, American beekeepers can afford to replace their bees as fast as they are killed by the pesticides; Chinese beekeepers cannot.

30zCKND.jpg

What a wonderful world.