Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Hey that's unfair to Kenneth Copeland, he's the man who finally convinced me that maybe the bible wasn't lying...

Because that mother fucker could've only crawled out of hell itself, he legitimately looks like a demon and you can't convince me otherwise.

I keep expecting him to point at me and growl "GROUNDWALKER!"

If the virus gets me, I want my diseased corpse trebuchet'd onto the White House lawn. Y'all aren't my friends or family but you seem like the kind of motherfuckers who can make it happen.

NYC is on track to have peaked with deaths per day last week, but the source I check haven’t updated yet so not sure if the prediction was fulfilled.

I’m still growing concerned about the future regarding what nightmare comes next. I don’t want to downplay the virus or criticize the immediate response because I’m not a denier. However, just like 9/11 which was a tragedy that was very real but may have been mismanaged from before it ever happened and certainly used for nefarious purposes by the government after, I’m worried about what will come of this. Phone tracking, “papers please”, the election year, etc. A lot of stuff to worry about without being a denier or downplaying the virus itself. Really 9/11 I think is the best comparison, it was a sad day but in the panic everyone would criticize those who called out the path the US government took in the years following as if you didn’t care about the victims, and I worry that’s happening now too.

Bernie is out of the race which is sad. Two major changes, UBI (Yang) and healthcare for everyone (Sanders) are the things this pandemic really demonstrates a need for in the US and now we will probably see neither. Maybe we’ll get a TSA of leaving your apartment building instead. Yay. Biden’s path against Trump will likely follow the same arc as Hillary’s because the DNC doesn’t understand a “safe” Democrat (who actually has a ton of skeletons) cannot beat a populist. That is, if Trump doesn’t suspend elections using COVID as his excuse. Sitting inside alone indefinitely watching this slow motion train wreck play out is not really enjoyable if you can’t tell.

Something something people will choose a real Republican over a fake Republican every time.

You're absolutely right in that the pandemic has put a spotlight on the need for public assistance and universal healthcare. If this doesn't get it through people's thick heads, I don't know what will.

Late to this topic:

People need to stop comparing Covid 19 to the flu. This is much more aggressive to the respiratory system. I am 55 with COPD and this would surely kill me. Scares the shit out of me.

On 4/11/2020 at 10:49 AM, insertwackynamehere said:

That is, if Trump doesn’t suspend elections using COVID as his excuse.

It's been almost a week since last new post. I know we should not succumb to despair in a middle of such a crisis, but this still needs to be updated.

Anyway, here's some article for those wondering about how and why the virus can still affect those who have been diagnosed negative.
On the other side, my country hasn't been doing good, what with all the elite dramas about regulations. *sigh*

Edited by InDOOMnesia

Well, I'm happy to say after exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms last week, and following triage advice to self-quarantine for 7 days, I still have no fucking idea if I had the virus! 

I'm better, I feel better. There was a period of hard coughs, and thick yellow mucous (took about three days for it to go from thick yellow sticky shit to close to it's original viscosity and color), and sweats and chills, and aches and pain, and sleeping for over 12 hours a day. But at least I feel better. Still kind of have the shits though.

And yet! I still have no idea if I actually had it. Felt like I had it, but less than some of the other people that I've heard about that had a "relatively" mild case. The reason is because my symptoms got better from the first time I reported them.

(Just for note: I reported them three days after it started when it wasn't getting better, but I had called in both days I had to work before that. I wasn't out infecting people.)

If they had gotten worse, maybe I could've gotten one. But it was just one slightly less miserable day after the next, until five days after I first noticed problems, I started feeling better. But I still can't take a test to confirm if I had it or not, and if I'm contagious because I can't take the test. BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TESTS. That's why my county's number is still sitting pretty at 10 confirmed cases, has been for a while.

So, tomorrow, it's back to work.

Oh, and to all you other Doomer's out there, stay safe. Wear PPE whenever you can, go out as seldom as you can, if you can work from home and have things delivered, do it. There's a lot of people that still have to go out and do their jobs, the fewer people we have in contact with each other, the better.

And I apologize for saying "This is a bit concerning" in my poll answer. I'd like to change it to "this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it". That was on March 3rd, I don't think too many people imagined it would turn out to be the utter clusterfuck it is.

Edited by Jello

My family has been worrying about me a lot. Things are, I've been feeling nervous staying in Yogyakarta here, as well.

I have decided to go back to Malang on Thursday night. Wish me luck and health.

Hydroxychloroquine has been put under magnifying lens and is slowly but surely showing signs of being completely useless. More robust clinical data has been collected and as of this date, there is no, not even a single small molecule antiviral drug showing notable positive effect compared to placebo.

Good to hear that you are feeling better, Jello.

Good luck, InDOOMnesia!

1 hour ago, elend said:

Good to hear that you are feeling better, Jello.

Good luck, InDOOMnesia!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

On 4/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

Hey that's unfair to Kenneth Copeland, he's the man who finally convinced me that maybe the bible wasn't lying...

Because that mother fucker could've only crawled out of hell itself, he legitimately looks like a demon and you can't convince me otherwise.

Sweet Jesus, you ain't kidding.

Well, I've had this shit for 32 days now. My temperature was initially from 37.2 to 37.8 celsius. Occassionally headaches, sometimes a little tired, not much stuff in my nose or throat. Now my temperature has been from 36.9 to 37.3. I think my normal temperature is about 36.5. I've lost about 1.5kg weight, and I'm feeling constantly hungry, even after I've just eaten something. Also starting to run out of food.

Yea, definitely not an ordinary flu. That would be gone in a week. Maybe my immune system isn't in really good shape. I've read that loneliness (and probably depression too) weakens it among other things. I've been trying to think positive things like fantasizing about my friend I had a crush on and not thinking about it would be better if I was dead. Don't know if it's helped, but probably doesn't do any harm.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, TwinBeast said:

Well, I've had this shit for 32 days now. My temperature was initially from 37.2 to 37.8 celsius. Occassionally headaches, sometimes a little tired, not much stuff in my nose or throat. Now my temperature has been from 36.9 to 37.3. I think my normal temperature is about 36.5. I've lost about 1.5kg weight, and I'm feeling constantly hungry, even after I've just eaten something. Also starting to run out of food.

Yea, definitely not an ordinary flu. That would be gone in a week. Maybe my immune system isn't in really good shape. I've read that loneliness (and probably depression too) weakens it among other things. I've been trying to think positive things like fantasizing about my friend I had a crush on and not thinking about it would be better if I was dead. Don't know if it's helped, but probably doesn't do any harm.

If you've had symptoms for over a month, and have had a fever over 100 °F, you need to go to the hospital. There's probably something besides the coronavirus working here. You should've either recovered within two weeks, or been dead or on a ventilator in two weeks.

I mean this seriously, if you've been having these health issues for 32 days, you need to seek medical help. Something is seriously wrong, and part of it may be the coronavirus, but it shouldn't be around for over two weeks, let alone four. I sincerely hope you get better, and wish you all the best. But if it's as dire as you say, you need medical attention.

Edited by Jello

@Jello Went to see a doctor yesterday, got a corona test done and the results were negative. The doctor suspected I have been having some kind of extended after effects of an infection. And he said this isn't fever, because my temperature isn't 37.5 or over, despite my normal temperature being about 36.5. But no idea what infection it was, they didn't test that, I suspect it was corona, haven't had this sort of stuff happen from any infection before. The doctor told me to come again if my symptoms don't go away in a week.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:49 AM, insertwackynamehere said:

Phone tracking, “papers please”, the election year, etc. A lot of stuff to worry about without being a denier or downplaying the virus itself. Really 9/11 I think is the best comparison, it was a sad day but in the panic everyone would criticize those who called out the path the US government took in the years following as if you didn’t care about the victims, and I worry that’s happening now too.

[..] the DNC doesn’t understand a “safe” Democrat (who actually has a ton of skeletons) cannot beat a populist.

As for point 1, I agree entirely. I think most of the restrictions people have taken in the wake of the virus are perfectly rational, but stuff like this is a prime excuse to strip away various freedoms covertly.

Regarding point 2, the DNC is so over-bloated and festering with monied interests that they'd absolutely prefer someone who takes from the poor and gives to the rich like Trump than anyone who even makes hints at adjusting things to assist the commonfolk financially at minor costs to the ultra-elite. I don't mean the average Democrat voter mind you, I mean the DNC itself. They're wolves in sheep's clothing.

When the lockdown started, I was dumb and ugly. By the end I will also be fat, therefore completing the American Trifecta.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:21 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

@Mr. Freeze What show/movie are those guys from?

That's Tom Savini from Dawn of the Dead (1978) on the left, at least.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:21 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

@Mr. Freeze What show/movie are those guys from?

That's Tom Savini's character "Blades" in both Dawn of the Dead (1978) and Land of the Dead (2005)

It's now been almost 7 weeks since I was sent home from work because of my athsma and I've had a lot of time to think, so here goes:

This isn't going to end.

I remember watching the World Trade Centre collapse back in 2001. I remember the way everyone's lives changed. I remember being told that we were living in "a time of heightened secuirty". What I don't remember is ever being told that the danger had gone away. Nearly 20 years later, airport security is still as stringent and terrifying, if not MORE so, than it was in those months following that terrible event.

Enter COVID-19. Now we have airport security at the goddamn grocery store. People being made to form an orderly queue, no less than 2 metres apart from one another like they're in a breadline. Children are being kept indoors, denied any and all basic interaction with each other, something that is absolutely crucial to their emotional development. And even as schools begin to reopen, they remain forced to maintain their distance, unable to play with each other. Those adults who can return to work are now placed in plexiglass cubicles. Movement is closely monitored. Communal coffee breaks are forbidden. Even on the street, people are giving each other as wide a berth as possible, for fear of catching the virus.

We are being stripped of our humanity, primed to become nothing more than drones. Subservient worker bees with little to no agency, terrified of the person sitting next to us (still 2 metres away), even if that person is someone we love. No handshakes, no hugs, no gestures of endearment. Mindless NPC's built only to work and consume.

Yeah, the curve has been flattened for the most part. Yeah, there may be a vaccine on the way. It's already too late. The world we once knew is gone for good. Even if the reports that initial projections were exaggerated, the damage is done. The changes made to our lives are not simply going to be reversed, and even if they were to be reversed on an infrastructure level, we've already been reprogrammed to fear each other. Hell, suicides have skyrocketed as a result of the lockdown (they're on the books as COVID deaths, mind you /sarcasm).

And all this has been achieved in as little as three months. Individual freedom subverted absolutely in record time. 0-China in 90 flat. No wonder people in the US are protesting. I wish MY country had a constitution. And that's BEFORE we get into the economic cataclysm that's already beginning to bite.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the isolation is finally getting to me. But this is no way for a human being to live. On the face of it, it could have been a lot worse for me personally - I look around my house. I have my creature comforts, my game room, my decks, etc. and my wages are covered for the interim until I can start working from home. I should be having a ball right now. But all I want right now is to go for a walk. To see my family and friends. All of that is put on hold, possibly indefinitely.

But hey, at least I'm not putting a strain on the NHS, right? Aye, whatever. I'm not in the mood for clapping.

Today I have finished my 14 days of self-quarantine, and I gotta say, I'm glad that nothing has been serious about my (and my mom's and second sibling's) health (there's only three of us in my place in Malang). Thank you for the support, everybody!

Although my family is currently facing another uncertainty, as we are about to move to a new city (we have been planning this since January/February, nothing to do with the outbreak) and currently preparing. Hopefully we get a solution sometime soon.

15 hours ago, scalliano said:

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the isolation is finally getting to me.

Yes.

15 hours ago, scalliano said:

And all this has been achieved in as little as three months. Individual freedom subverted absolutely in record time. 0-China in 90 flat. No wonder people in the US are protesting. I wish MY country had a constitution. And that's BEFORE we get into the economic cataclysm that's already beginning to bite.

The very people who are protesting in the US are complete and utter morons for the most part.

Every time I see some shitbrained-tinfoil-hatter claim that COVID-19 is a lie, because hospitals are "only" running at 30-40% capacity, and therefore the crisis is "fake", I need a puke bucket, because that much "stupid" is just too much to stomach, even for me. Hospitals aren't empty because COVID-19 is a hoax, they're 'empty' because the social distancing does what it's supposed to do, which is slowing the spreading of the virus down, so that hospitals can keep up with the workload, and still have at least some capacity to spare in case shit really hits the fan for some reason. If hospitals were at full capacity right now, despite the social distancing, then that'd be a good reason to commence the doomsaying.

These very same protesting morons and their ilk are also the reason why there's "airport level security" at your local supermarkets (if that isn't an exaggeration). You're suffering much less under the virus itself than you are suffering under the stupidity of other people right now. And as long as that's the case, you should consider yourself fortunate, because spending weeks in a hospital bed is clearly worse, doubly so when your ass is on the line because your asthma puts you in the danger-zone.

If you want something to be genuinely worried about, look no further than a potential COVID-19 mutation, which is much more likely to occur when people like those protesting conspiracy theorists would be allowed to have it their way, and spread the virus to even more people than already is the case. That being said, consider yourself fortunate that your government gives enough of a damn about your lives to go all out wrt enforcing social distancing. Every time you see somebody in front of your supermarket calling people to order, you should be glad about that fact, and nothing else. They're risking their health to make sure that you can keep yours.

Frankly, there are certainly reasons for protests, like for example the fuck ups some governments made when COVID-19 broke loose. But those who would protest due to that sort of stuff are playing it smart, and stay indoors.

And no, the situation isn't permanent, and it's in no way comparable to 9/11. The virus will eventually loose the fight against herd-immunity - with or without a vaccine -  at which point things will slowly recover. But there is no herd-immunity against terrorism. Also, governments don't benefit from a collapsing economy, and they'd rather this shit be over sooner than later.