Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

47 minutes ago, ValeriyPipick said:

Coronavirus is just the beginning. There will be more cataclysms in this world. 

Just believe that you will survive it.

climate change, a economic collapse, a virus outbreak, fuck im spooked!

7 hours ago, seed said:

*laughs in ancient, horrible healthcare systems*

No but seriously, our healthcare system is a bad joke, we stand higher chances to die in unclean hospitals which are full of all sorts of viruses than COVID... I mean, it's not like the system hasn't been killing us for a long time...

If its the US system, then i feel for the majority lot of you.

Its why i grow wary when i hear people complain about our healthcare system. Yeah, its not perfect. But its a blessing compared to the US, really.

1 hour ago, ValeriyPipick said:

Coronavirus is just the beginning. There will be more cataclysms in this world. 

Just believe that you will survive it.

This kind of fearmongering is really unwarranted.

21 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

If its the US system, then i feel for the majority lot of you.

Its why i grow wary when i hear people complain about our healthcare system. Yeah, its not perfect. But its a blessing compared to the US, really.

Oh no no no no, the Romanian system is even better. In the US you can die if you, well, can't afford treatment, here, you die either way, particularly in public hospitals.

FWIW Here's an example of a joke public hospital:

15180746264bb309fd.jpg&w=840

can't tell if it's a good or a bad sign when yr national health sec goes on tv to say "Good luck, stay indoors, you are going to get ill" with no explanation of how people are gonna do that and whether there'll be any assistance lol

53 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You clearly didn't catch my meaning: Human will is way more powerful than you may think, and it is working in both directions. 

Fears are only increasing chance of negative event happening. 

52 minutes ago, seed said:

Oh no no no no, the Romanian system is even better. In the US you can die if you, well, can't afford treatment, here, you die either way, particularly in public hospitals.

Looks like a fine place to be hospitalized :/

19 minutes ago, ValeriyPipick said:

You clearly didn't catch my meaning: Human will is way more powerful than you may think, and it is working in both directions. 

Fears are only increasing chance of negative event happening. 

When you say: ''Coronavirus is just the beginning. There will be more cataclysms in this world.'' Then yes i will consider that fearmongering. Don't worry, worse things are coming.

The second text ''Just believe that you will survive it.'' only reinforces that imo. Its the phrasing that makes it fearmongering, not the message.

#1 read up on death amounts per year for good ol' inFLUenza.

#2 read up on death amounts so far of corona.

#3 Compare.

#4 I'm not worried about it.

#5 I know people who had it and they said it was like the flu.

#6 They had it not me I'm not acting like I know everything.

50 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

#1 read up on death amounts per year for good ol' inFLUenza.

#2 read up on death amounts so far of corona.

#3 Compare.

OR lets not compare and use some common sense. The virus is contagious and spreads easily. Therefore, what most nations now do, is lock everything up and limit user interaction.

Other than that:

• Wait it out
  • If you have symptoms, even if they are just from regular flu, stay indoors
  • Apply ''Better safe than sorry''.
  • Use ''Common sense''

And then thats that. No matter the endless barrage of informational coverage, that's the only thing you as an individual can do.

50 minutes ago, Oppo1021 said:

#4 I'm not worried about it.

#5 I know people who had it and they said it was like the flu.

#6 They had it not me I'm not acting like I know everything.

Bruh. Honestly. You do know that the coronavirus has very similar symptoms to regular flu, right?

2 hours ago, DRMman said:

I'd say that nuking our selves would be a nice way to stop it.

Mehhhhhh, rockets would be a disappointing finale.

This is what modern society gets for replacing swords with singing contests!!

And well corporate mono-culture with no backup wasn't the best idea.

14 hours ago, Phobus said:

I was just musing on that point, @Caffeine Freak. My local Tesco has been emptied out of toilet roll

Yep. Same with my local Safeway a couple days back. Toilet paper shelves were 80% empty. Nothing else was dissapearing (at least that I saw), just toilet paper. Could've been worse though, I suppose I could've seen people fighting like those terrible harpies in that viral Australian video, but I don't sense my area is at that stage yet (and hopefully it won't be).

4 hours ago, seed said:

Mehhhhhh, rockets would be a disappointing finale.

How about an encore, antimatter bomb.

@roadworx Exactly. I am honestly a bit shocked about the utter disregard of the elderly in western society. You are young and don't have to worry about the flu? Nice. Now stay indoors and don't spread it to everybody else, many of whom have medical issues and / or are the elderly. Dafuq is wrong with people.

What many don't consider as well is this: Diabetes / light Asthma / smoking, etc. is already enough to hamper your immune system. Do you have Diabetes? Do you maybe smoke? Are you perfectly healthy? When was your last medical exam? Exactly. At a certain age you can't be 100 % sure that you are a 100 % ok. Additionally you have the problem of catching other things while your immune system is trying to fight off the flu, so yeah...

16 hours ago, seed said:

Well Damn. And I thought my country had bad public hospitals.

7 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Well Damn. And I thought my country had bad public hospitals.

Thankfully the private ones are much, much better, but being hospitalized in a public hospital pretty much means you're either going to die there, or leave it in a worse condition than you entered.

And although the private hospitals are better, they have another problem - no $$$ to bribe the doctors? Tough luck buddy, see if anyone cares about you.

It was interesting to read through the entire thread and see the flippant and dismissive attitudes change over the span of days as more western countries are hit and go into lockdown mode.

The UK government appear to have taken the approach that quarantines and social isolation would be too expensive and hurt the economy too much, so they are just going to let the old and those with comorbid conditions die (under the guise of 'herd immunity'). I guess because it's cheaper in the long term and we all know only money matters in this world... People here are *still* not taking it seriously regarding washing hands, social distancing, disinfecting etc. it's like screaming into the void asking them to do basic things.

Despite being youngish I have a few underlying conditions which put me in the dangerzone. So if I catch this when the hospitals are overwhelmed then it may very well be game over for me. GG. :-(

After seeing what is happening in EU now (especially in Italy) and my neighboring country Iran, I am getting more and more concerned about this.

apparently younger people aren't as effected by it than older ones.

what does that mean? does it mean that I won't die through infection?

how long can it take to come up with a vaccine?

On 3/13/2020 at 7:27 PM, roadworx said:

i'm pretty scared considering my dad is in his 60s and has respiratory issues. i don't want him to die

Stay brave and cherish every moment together! I lost my mom not long ago, she was taken by endocarditis. It's been really difficult on everyone, especially for my dad. They were married for 48 years.

32 minutes ago, User Name said:

Stay brave and cherish every moment together! I lost my mom not long ago, she was taken by endocarditis. It's been really difficult on everyone, especially for my dad. They were married for 48 years.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your family stays strong.