Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

42 minutes ago, Hellbent said:

Why doesn't the regular old flu die out if we were able to get rid of the Spanish flu?

The regular flu isn't an individual virus to speak of. It's a collection of different influenza viruses similar to that of the cold. Our bodies become immune to these viruses, but their are so many different types of them that it becomes near impossible to become totally immune to the flu in general.

I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to seeing some actual progress on Devilution.

I've restrained myself from commenting here, but now I can't stand it anymore.

In the following text, the "you" refers to anyone (person or entity) who underestimates this phenomenom.

I'm from Italy, but I'm currently in northern California since january for a study period abroad, and people here are NOT taking this seriously enough. If you are not aware of the situation in Italy, let me tell you. It is true that this virus is not super deadly, and that younger people are less affected (but still, not  everyone is safe), what people need to understand is that this virus is extremely, extremely contagious. You may think you know it, but you don't, because if you do, you would be aware of what it's coming. At least in Italy, there are NOT enough places in the hospital (pretty sure it's the same here in the US though https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/ny-gov-cuomo-warns-us-wont-have-enough-hospital-beds-for-coronavirus-pandemic.html). Even if you get sick but you show no symptoms, you risk to infect another person who may not be as healthy as you are. Some precautions are already taken (closed restaurants, etc) but it not nearly enough, a lockdown is necessary. 

You don't believe me? Fine, I am no one. You don't believe doctors who say this? Less fine, but still, let's say it's fine. But you cannot NOT trust numbers, the trend of infected people is basically exponential (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ FWI, by the time I wrote this post, 13 new cases were reported) and it is the same as Italy. So you know in advance what is going to happen. Take all the measures available then, preventing something is a lot better than curing!

I'm not saying people should go crazy about this, I'm saying that all of us need to be more responsable. Please, do NOT underestimate this virus, it might not affect you, but it will affect the whole society.

Health is above all, politics, money, everything.

Edited by Red-XIII

While I'm not Immunocompromised in any way, lots of people around me are. For instance, my sister is due to have her son in May. It would be selfish of me not to worry about getting this virus. I've missed this entire week at work so far due to a respiratory infection. Can't be too safe. Stocked up on plenty of Alka-Seltzer, booze and food. My girlfriend, who works in the service industry, is currently laid off indefinitely. Yes, YOU may survive, but consider those around you. Newborns and the elderly are the most vulnerable.

28 minutes ago, lazy91geek said:

While I'm not Immunocompromised in any way, lots of people around me are. For instance, my sister is due to have her son in May. It would be selfish of me not to worry about getting this virus. I've missed this entire week at work so far due to a respiratory infection. Can't be too safe. Stocked up on plenty of Alka-Seltzer, booze and food. My girlfriend, who works in the service industry, is currently laid off indefinitely. Yes, YOU may survive, but consider those around you. Newborns and the elderly are the most vulnerable.

yeah a lot of people don't seem to care as they won't be affected, but forget to factor in the fact that other human beings exist

35 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

yeah a lot of people don't seem to care as they won't be affected, but forget to factor in the fact that other human beings exist

Boston Bars this passed Saturday:

SOUTHIE-BAR-CROWD.jpg

Maybe the thought process is "Corona virus is a bug, alcohol is used to kill bugs." ?

I'm starting to lean towards "it's rather alarming" but it's more for how it will affect others and society.

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

I'm starting to lean towards "it's rather alarming" but it's more for how it will affect others and society.

Exactly. Hysteria and the various flow on effects will be significant.

The first case of coronavirus arrived in my city and tomorrow the entire state is declared in a state of emergency, the person was in several restaurants.

Honestly although it seems exaggerated I prefer that before seeing many more sick people

19 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

I kind of feel like I'm already going a bit nuts and normally I like relaxing in my apartment alone. 

At least you're able to self-quarantine by yourself. Most people are most likely sharing tiny apartments and even sharing rooms with lots of people together in order to afford rent. I have to share a room with one guy who does not know (and is not willing to know) how to cover his mouth while sneezing. Even after telling him to properly sneeze by sneezing into his elbow, he just tells me "So what? I'm not sick." and continues sneezing in to his hand.

Edited by Lizardcommando

4 hours ago, Bucket said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to seeing some actual progress on Devilution.

Mordeth 2*
KBDoom*

44 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

Even after telling him to properly sneeze by sneezing into his elbow, he just tells me "So what? I'm not sick." and continues sneezing in to his hand.

Take him out, it's you or him haha

What's most concerning to me is the selfish behaviour of people panic buying. 

I unfortunately work for a major UK supermarket and some of the shit I've seen is disgusting. 

- all long life food is gone, pasta, tinned food even longlife milk, people have now started panic buying baby formula to substitute for milk. 

- All bread, eggs gone. 

- Toilet roll, boxes of tissues, nappies and feminine care products. 

- Pet food

Our store which is usually 24 hours is now shutting at 10pm and reopening at 6am because they can't put more stock out without getting mobbed. So now there's 100s of people waiting at 6am to panic buy leaving even less for people that actually need goods to live. 

Assholes seem to think its the staffs problem and take it out on us, thank fuck I've booked holiday for Doom Eternal. People are acting like it's the goddamn apocalypse 😑

2 hours ago, Swordofdanu said:

What's most concerning to me is the selfish behaviour of people panic buying. 

I unfortunately work for a major UK supermarket and some of the shit I've seen is disgusting. 

- all long life food is gone, pasta, tinned food even longlife milk, people have now started panic buying baby formula to substitute for milk. 

- All bread, eggs gone. 

- Toilet roll, boxes of tissues, nappies and feminine care products. 

- Pet food

Our store which is usually 24 hours is now shutting at 10pm and reopening at 6am because they can't put more stock out without getting mobbed. So now there's 100s of people waiting at 6am to panic buy leaving even less for people that actually need goods to live. 

Assholes seem to think its the staffs problem and take it out on us, thank fuck I've booked holiday for Doom Eternal. People are acting like it's the goddamn apocalypse 😑

I mean, its partially also the UK government. When everyone else in the EU premises was already locking down most things, UK only had a travel ban, and seemed to pick the option to just have the majority of the population get infected to achieve group immunity. Something that is a process of years, not weeks.

Which makes the only precaution from a week ago (Travel ban) all the more strange. It also comes at a worse time for the UK than for the EU - Given that well, the UK is not part of the EU anymore through Brexit.

The cynical irony of wanting to do things their own way in isolation now has a chance of being a huge minus point for the British economy.

That said the panic buying is so moronic. For days now authorities are telling not to and people still do it. I can thus only conclude that we have reached the stage of pure irrationality where a lot of folks simply have no listening ear to common sense.*

*And as is usual with a crisis like this, you have fuckers taking advantage of it, either through hacking hospitals through phishing mails, or the real life approach of spreading hoax letters to leave money outside to get a mouth cap or anything.

Its initatives like that that really are soul crushing. On a event of this magnitude, how can you even morally justify your criminal mind to do this kind of shit, when it can affect everyone?

Fortunately, efforts of solidarity have risen aswell, ranging from grocery shopping groups doing the groceries for the elderly, to improvised call centers providing a listening ear and advice to those in panic or in isolation, to open air concerts so that people inside can have some music to enjoy to.

Atleast here in the NL, this is what i am seeing. And its the kind of thing i am happy to see - No-nonsense solidarity without recieving anything back, nor even wanting to. I am glad that, however small, these efforts still exist.

Welp, one of my university's grand teachers (is that how you Westerners call them BTW?) has been diagnosed positive.

Oh God.

On 3/13/2020 at 8:13 PM, some guy who made a wad said:

just stay indoors and wait it out.

eh, i would, if i i didn't have to work.

i wouldn't mind a curfew, it would allow me to shorten the ever growing list of wads to play (ffs, i play eviternity atm, which the dwmc had in may 2019...)

i hope that crap virus is gone until summer, or my holidays basically go down the drain.

gym is closed, i'm about to go running outside, where there's no one to be seen.

9 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Welp, one of my university's grand teachers (is that how you Westerners call them BTW?) has been diagnosed positive.

Oh God.

To answer that question, we call them Professors.

5 hours ago, eargosedown said:

So fun story; I caught it.  I've been jammed in bed carefully watching my breathing.

best luck to you both. hope you get well.

Already one of the least powerful (if not the worst) currencies, this just happened to the IDR. 😥

IMG-20200319-WA0007.jpg

15 hours ago, eargosedown said:

So fun story; I caught it.  I've been jammed in bed carefully watching my breathing.

Hartford CT hotline is advising me to stay home or go to the ER if it gets any worse.  I have asthma and immune system disorders so I'm in that endangered group.

My girlfriend who also caught it (we think we both picked it up in Boston at the same time) is also immunocompromised to the point that hospitals on normal days are a scary gamble.  So it's really tough right now keeping a positive look.

Good luck, man. Keep us posted on your progress.

16 hours ago, eargosedown said:

Hartford CT hotline is advising me to stay home or go to the ER if it gets any worse.  I have asthma and immune system disorders so I'm in that endangered group.

My girlfriend who also caught it (we think we both picked it up in Boston at the same time) is also immunocompromised to the point that hospitals on normal days are a scary gamble.  So it's really tough right now keeping a positive look.

Oh. I hope you both get well soon.