Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

id Software Weapons That Are Merely Upgrades

The gatling in Classic Doom, the super nailgun in Quake, and the super shotgun in Quake 2. Are there more? Before someone says it, the combat shotgun in Doom 2 is not an upgrade of the shotgun. It's more of a close range gun while the shotgun is more of a rifle.

I don't know if it can be considered as such, but the Rocket Launcher from Quake II feels like an upgrade of the Grenade Launcher.

Hyper Blaster maybe counts.

Quake 3 BFG10K is an upgrade of the Plasma Gun and maybe the Rocket Launcher too, due to it's splash damage.

Every weapon in Wolf 3D/SOD. Though I usually fall back to the machinegun because the chaingun chews though ammo too fast for fodder enemies.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Every weapon in Wolf 3D/SOD. Though I usually fall back to the machinegun because the chaingun chews though ammo too fast for fodder enemies.

Oh right, forgot to put Wolf3D's weapons on my post.

Well, The Machinegun on Doom 3 it's remplaced by the Chaingun when you enter in the  Satelite area of the game. 

Plasma Rifle is a straight upgrade to the Chaingun only it's projectile based. 600 shots against 400 and does more damage per bolt.

The Nailgun is an upgrade to the shotgun in Quake and, obviously, super nailgun is the same. Also I'd say the rocket launcher is a straight upgrade to the grenade launcher on the simple fact the rocket launcher does what it's supposed to do: blow up in an enemies face.

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Plasma Rifle is a straight upgrade to the Chaingun only it's projectile based. 600 shots against 400 and does more damage per bolt.

The Nailgun is an upgrade to the shotgun in Quake and, obviously, super nailgun is the same. Also I'd say the rocket launcher is a straight upgrade to the grenade launcher on the simple fact the rocket launcher does what it's supposed to do: blow up in an enemies face.

The grenade launcher can be used to shoot at pits or walls with enemies that are around the corner or in those pits without having to get in there and have them shoot at you.

20 hours ago, Rare Hatchiama said:

I always considered the berserk pack a mere upgrade to the fist.  Herpaderp

Well it technically is, isn't it.