Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Icon of Sin

First Time

Some time in 2003 me and my brothers were browsing in the local EB Games when I came across the promotional stand for Doom 3. Being 10 at the time, and having had no idea what Doom was, my first thought was that it was an Event Horizon-like game. My older brothers ended up getting the Doom Collectors Edition CDs and from there I would watch them play (I remember actually asking if the first Zombieman on E1M1 was a good guy or not) before giving it a spin myself... using IDDQD+IDKFA of course.

After a while of mindlessly BFG Blasting monsters I eventually tried through the games on ITYTD, followed by bumping it up to HNTR, before finally getting skilled enough with arrow key movement and strafing to tackle UV.

For me, sometime around late 2013. I played the shareware version through DOSBox

DOOM shareware somewhere between late 93 to early 94, don't remember exactly. Whole game (DOOM E1-E3), new year 95-96. DOOM2, 1996. Final DOOM right after it came out in somepoint. :)

I first played Doom in June, 1994 (I was in high school at the time). It was the shareware episode, version 1.2. It came bundled with a copy of Wolfenstein 3D that I bought at Electronics Boutique. One of the disks of Wolfenstein was corrupted, so I never actually got to play it, but I played the heck out of Knee Deep in the Dead. I was the first of my circle of friends to have a copy of Doom (one friend had Wolfenstein 3D--he was the one who suggested I buy the bundled pack that day).

I've tried to figure this out before. I know it was Ultimate Doom on DOS from a friend of my father. I thought I remembered Final Doom being released, but I know where I lived when I first played Doom, and I didn't live there before the 96-97 academic year. I also remember visiting relatives and being disappointed they only had Shareware Doom in late 1997. So my best guess is late 1996 or early 1997. I acquired Doom 2 and Final Doom by 1999.  

I had a Doom resurgence about 2002 when I found Collector's Edition (who knows where all my Doom discs ended up?) and discovered I could customize controls

And another resurgence in 2015 when I finally started playing pwads and not long after started mapping.

High school I was in networking class and people started playing the freeware version

We spent most class just playing that game in little network matches

good times

addicted for life

95... I was living with a bunch of bikers when one of them introduced me to Doom II on his PC, my jaw dropped when I saw the chainsaw(it was basically love at first sight) from then I went from SNES Doom to D64 and finally when I had the finances I bought a laptop for the long awaited Doom 3, that didn't turn out so well (still a fan of it) but now at long last, I could play the original Doom😅

Little late to this but the first time I ever played was SNES Doom, when I was about 3 years old. I was born in 2000 but my older brother loved older consoles and I remember one time going into his room to play his SNES when he wasn't home, and this particular day I found the most badass red game cartridge I've ever seen. I looked at it, blew on it, and put it into my bros SNES.

I was at that point pretty used to playing games like Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, etc. But there was no main menu, the creepy E1M1 Super Nintendo version music played, and the game just plopped me down with my pistol.

I had absolutely no idea what to do.

And the rest is history.

I played the game on and off until I was about 8-9, and that's when I really started getting into Doom. The Xbox Port of Doom 3 more specifically, but I had RoE that came with Doom and Doom II and I was absolutely hooked.

I've been a super fan for about 12 years, but Doom has been with me all my life.

IMG_20200309_124700279.jpg

2015, after listening to a podcast about Doom II. I had watched a lot of speedruns of the game before, read a lot of articles about its importance to the games industry and always meant to give it a shot, but when I first bought it on Steam I was let down by the DOSBOX version. When I listened to the podcast they mentioned the existence of source ports and as soon as I got rid of the texture filtering on ZDoom I was hooked for life.

4 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Started playing in Early 2019. I'm still a kid :D

Welcome to Doomworld! How old are you? :)

1 minute ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Welcome to Doomworld! How old are you? :)

14 years. Thanks for the reply! 

On 3/5/2020 at 11:55 PM, DiamondDude11 said:

It still baffles me how they didn't make a new engine to run Doom on

• Everyone knows about Doom source ports. Even when the official source port on PC got 60fps and some minor QOL stuff, some people still bitched about it and would prefer playing GZDoom instead.
  • Release date.
  • Steam's poor support for DosBox (older v0.72) 

You may want to check out GOG releases for Doom 1/2/Final. Still DosBox, but the configs are way better and natural.

Also, difficulty settings exist. If you are having a hard time with Plutonia, tone it down to something like HNTR.

On topic, my first time playing Doom was around 2009, when my English is still relatively poor. My first time actually playing and completing it was about around 2 years ago.

First played Doom64 at a friends house in I wanna say 2010-2012 on a N64 and I barely remember playing it.

First time I played Doom was on December 95 or 96. I was a child when Santa Claus give me the Ultimate Doom CD as a Christmas present, I played at my dad's pc and since that moment my heart is cold, my mind is evil and my soul is doomed!

I should know not to have trusted Santa (Satan) Claws!!!

Played it for first time when I were around 1.5 on dad's 486

I remember that the first episode I made through was tSoH.