Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sanicstudios

Custom music refuses to play?

I'm currently in the process of making a mini WAD and have been adding custom music through SLADE in the MAPINFO file. It has been working fine but for some reason on the third map the music reverts to default. Everything is spelled correctly.

Songs are in MIDI format

DOOM2.WAD

SLADE v3.1.10

I think it would be handy to see the MAPINFO itself, since it might contain some mistake other than spelling.

map MAP01 "BASE ENTRANCE"
{
LevelNum = "01"
next = "MAP02"
par = 90
sucktime = 1
sky1 = "sky1"
music = "SLYR_S01"
}

map MAP02 "FACILITY EXPLORATION"
{
LevelNum = "02"
next = "MAP03"
par = 70
sucktime = 1
sky1 = "sky1"
music = "SLYR_S02"
}

map MAP03 "CHAMBERS"
{
LevelNum = "03"
next = "MAP04"
par = 70
sucktime = 1
sky1 = "sky1"
music = "SLYR_S03"
}

MAP01 and MAP02 play music fine but MAP03 is only playing the default MIDI for some reason

Nothing seems to be wrong here, and the music being missing would result in no music playing at all...

Could it be that it was just a one-off thing where you forgot to save, or used doombuilder and SLADE on the same wad?

Kept restarting the WAD and closed/re-opened SLADE, music was missing until I re-imported it. Not sure what caused this issue.

@sanicstudios A simple fix is to rename the midi's to replace the Og Music:

SLYR_S03= d_countd

Also a plus tip, if you have a high quality music track, OGG sound format is the best for that

4 minutes ago, Morpheus666 said:

Also a plus tip, if you have a high quality music track, OGG sound format is the best for that

Yeah. I'm quite well-versed in audio & music in general. I just want to use MIDI for this episode to make it feel kinda authentic

@sanicstudios As far as my knolige is of how Doom's scripts work is that anything that has the same name of something that's hard-coded it auto replaces that with whatever you choose, HOWEVER the Doom 3 BFG edition of Doom/ Doom 2 are kinda broke and have issues with this for some reason.

(if it's not that then idk sorry)

Sometimes the MIDI files themselves won't play due to incorrect headers. I ran into an issue once where I wanted to use a MIDI of Ghost Love Score but for some reason it was actually a RIFF file and Doom couldn't play it. I've also encountered MIDI files that crash in vanilla Doom. Not sure why that happened.

5 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I've also encountered MIDI files that crash in vanilla Doom. Not sure why that happened.

Maybe it's the size limit? MIDIs can't be bigger than 95kb (more or less).

9 hours ago, Noiser said:

Maybe it's the size limit? MIDIs can't be bigger than 95kb (more or less).

Could be. I can't remember the size of the MIDI in question.