Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aloyisus

Why is the BFG9000 in Hell?

Shores of Hell, set on Deimos, introduces the Plasma Gun. Inferno, set in Hell, introduces the BFG9000. I'm assuming the weapon is man-made.

Did it fall from Deimos onto the surface of hell? Did demons bring it there? Is it just a video game and I'm overthinking it?

Really you could ask this about all the human made stuff, but I think...

7 minutes ago, Aloyisus said:

Is it just a video game and I'm overthinking it?

...is the answer.

At the start of Doom 1, several other marines have already died trying to stop the invasion, and you're the last, best hope. The in-story justification for finding progressively better weapons is the ones who had those better weapons made it further before dying.

3 hours ago, Solmyr said:

Sandy Petersen said in an interview that demons worship weapons, even tough they don't understand them, they admire their ability to cause pain and suffering. That's why the BFG is in hell, it's a holy relic to them. 

You know more and more I'm starting to see the parallels between the demons and mappers. I mean, we also like to worship weaponry while mapping, putting it on literal pedestals. Like any good dungeon master, a mapper is constantly trying to engage and in some cases kill the player. So basically we were the demons all along. Hail Satan!

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

You know more and more I'm starting to see the parallels between the demons and mappers. I mean, we also like to worship weaponry while mapping, putting it on literal pedestals.

We also send out guardians to punish the player for "stealing" a holy artifact (an SSG, Rocket Launcher, Plasma, or BFG).

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

So basically we were the demons all along. Hail Satan!

No, we are not the demos, we are Satan ourselves. Hail us!

It's also stated in doom 2 that the demons are absorbing the reality on earth, so that's another reason why it's there.

1 minute ago, Solmyr said:

No, we are not the demos, we are Satan ourselves. Hail us!

NO GODS OR KINGS. ONLY MAN.

Doom Bible:

"Episode Four: Armed Assault:

Your team is in jail for destroying the planet: the officials denied tampering with the forces. You've been promised release as soon as it blows over. Then they recruit you to explore another gate that the military has opened on the small moonof ????. The squads they've sent in have lost to the forces there. Demons from the gate have stolen a new weapon and you've got to get it back. Once there, you travel hell and find the weapon ... and it’s attached to a huge techno-demon. You defeat him and cut the weapon off, and find its energy systems non-functional. Yougo outside and head for the gate. When you return to the moon, the entire base is covered with grotesque demonic goo."

On 3/5/2020 at 10:52 AM, SiFi270 said:

At the start of Doom 1, several other marines have already died trying to stop the invasion, and you're the last, best hope. The in-story justification for finding progressively better weapons is the ones who had those better weapons made it further before dying.

This makes me wonder ... where is the "farthest along" marine corpse located in the original Doom? And which monster killed him?

I had a quick look in GZDoom with IDDT and "show things as sprites" enabled, plus a replacement for the dead/gibbed marine sprites that was guaranteed to stand out so I wouldn't miss anything. The furthest anyone else got seems to be the FIREBLU building you see at the start of E3M6.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200306_150936.png.a653b93aadb9e22931ec80ffc3ca0673.png

The demons brought it there. 'nuff said.

On 3/5/2020 at 3:34 AM, Solmyr said:

Sandy Petersen said in an interview that demons worship weapons, even tough they don't understand them, they admire their ability to cause pain and suffering. That's why the BFG is in hell, it's a holy relic to them. 

Sandy Peterson is not a creative director. Get your Haliistic shenanigans outta this office.

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

I had a quick look in GZDoom with IDDT and "show things as sprites" enabled, plus a replacement for the dead/gibbed marine sprites that was guaranteed to stand out so I wouldn't miss anything. The furthest anyone else got seems to be the FIREBLU building you see at the start of E3M6.

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20200306_150936.png.a653b93aadb9e22931ec80ffc3ca0673.png

Ah, the poor marine near the green torch may have been blinded by the FIREBLU exterior of the building and a few seconds later blew himself up in that cramped room trying to fire a rocket at the Baron and his friends ... F.

I wonder if we should create a memorial for all the fallen marines and determine the most probable way they died.

5 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Sandy Peterson is not a creative director. Get your Haliistic shenanigans outta this office.

Well, he was partially responsible for the deisgn of the Arch-Vile and he wrote the text screens for DooM, so the man has some degree of authority on demonic cultural and religious practices. Demons clearly worship man made weapons.

15 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

The furthest anyone else got seems to be the FIREBLU building you see at the start of E3M6.

Hold up, there's like a dozen of 'em in the cyberdemon room on E4M6 - but maybe they came in through Earth's side.

Also, slightly off topic, but I can't remember if the demon's cybernetic enhancements were a result of human experimentation, or was totally their own thing. I know it was the former in Doom 3 (the revenant in the glass case) but what is the official story with the enhanced enemies (rev, manc, arac, cybie and momma) in O.G. Doom?

On 3/5/2020 at 7:11 AM, Aloyisus said:

Shores of Hell, set on Deimos, introduces the Plasma Gun. Inferno, set in Hell, introduces the BFG9000. I'm assuming the weapon is man-made.

Did it fall from Deimos onto the surface of hell? Did demons bring it there? Is it just a video game and I'm overthinking it?

I forgot to take it with me, last time i ripped and teared through hell. Would you kindly return it to me? Thanks.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, Maximum Matt said:

but what is the official story with the enhanced enemies (rev, manc, arac, cybie and momma) in O.G. Doom?

"Maybe cybernetics wasn't such a great idea after all. Look what the demons have done with it."

"Apparently when a demon dies, they pick him up, dust him off, wire him some combat gear, and send him back into battle."

The official descriptions for the Arachnotron and Revenant seem to imply that the demons decided to use cybernetics to enhance themselves.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666 : Grammar

Don't you find the BFG 9000 kind of just nonchalantly tucked away in a lava pit behind a door in The House of Pain? Doesn't seem like they're worshipping it, more like hiding it from you.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:11 AM, VGA said:

Ah, the poor marine near the green torch may have been blinded by the FIREBLU exterior of the building and a few seconds later blew himself up in that cramped room trying to fire a rocket at the Baron and his friends ... F.

I wonder if we should create a memorial for all the fallen marines and determine the most probable way they died.

Dude, that's an awesome idea

Not sure if anyone here remembers DSM's fanfictions, but I like to think its because the few marines who had the BFG made it farther. In his story, the marine who made it to hell first slowly goes insane from the cries of tormented souls, runs out of BFG ammo, and gets a chunk of his rips ripped out from a pinky. Then darkness.

I believe DSM wrote the RTC-3057 series plot as well.

15 hours ago, User Name said:

Don't you find the BFG 9000 kind of just nonchalantly tucked away in a lava pit behind a door in The House of Pain?

E3M3 Pandemonium. 

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

E3M3 Pandemonium. 

Oh right! It’s been so long since I last played inferno.I guess it’s time to jog my memory. 

On 3/5/2020 at 4:15 AM, Egg Boy said:

You know more and more I'm starting to see the parallels between the demons and mappers. I mean, we also like to worship weaponry while mapping, putting it on literal pedestals. Like any good dungeon master, a mapper is constantly trying to engage and in some cases kill the player. So basically we were the demons all along. Hail Satan!

Doom mappers everywhere suddenly:

8ubGFLt.gif