Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RemoveUwU

Share your epic Doom-related stories

Hey, college student here

Last year I downloaded Crispy Doom in my class' pc (Tho I don't know if this is actually possible in America, but here basically anyone who knows the admin pass can do stuff like this)

Me and some friends played a lot while waiting for our sociology professor, all of this while the media projector, so technically we were competing on who completed levels the fastest and everyone else was just watching it lmao

Classes are gonna start soon again, so I'd love to introduce freshmen to this little hobby, and maybe to the Doom community

My most epic Doom story goes as follows;

I downloaded Blade of Agony.

Got interested in Doom again.

I started mapping.

I dreamt about playing rocket arena with a Cyberdemon at Costco. I was just lucid enough to know to stay out of the side aisles. Good thing the rockets didn't blow up whatever merchandise they hit.

Call it epic or funny or whatever you want, but nothing beats getting an Arch-Vile to fight with other enemies and watching their attack make the other enemies fly up in the air.  I've also killed a Cyberdemon with the fist and the chainsaw. 

I once made a very unpolished gameplay mod for ZDoom, mostly using Realm667 resources. I even made a ZDoom Wiki page about it (the mod's name uses my own most commonly used username on the internet).

i remember making a realm667 weapons randomizer mod for doom2 back in 2018, it also had around 3 player classes, each with their different weapons. i think i still have it somewhere in my doom folder.

I berserk-punched and killed every single vanilla doom demon at least once. This includes the cybie, in Map33 using invulnerability.

Hey there, I'm new here.  I had no idea this forum even existed, until I searched for Austin Virtual Gaming and a hit came up for this site.  So here is my Epic Doom story.

TL;DR-- I pretty much invented camping in FPS deathmatches, at least in tourney play, and used it to beat the guys that invented the genre and the concept of deathmatch, but also lost the entire tournament to a camper!

In the early 90's, I was in my early 20's and when Doom hit it was all we did every weekend, all weekend.  My brother, his roommate, me and one of our other friends had a 4 PC LAN set up at my brothers apartment and we would play for 12-16 hours straight, only taking breaks to eat, drink, and use the bathroom.  We'd pass out at 6 or 7am, sleep until noon and do it again until Sunday night rolled around.  Needless to say, we got pretty good.

There was a place in Austin, just across the street from the University of Texas, called Austin Virtual Gaming.  They had several PC kiosks set up for gaming, and they hosted the first couple of Doom tournaments in the region.  Since iD is local to Texas, they fielded at least one team those first two years.  I know Romero and Carmack were there, and American McGee and someone else, but I can't remember if they had 2 teams or not.  I know Romero was definitely on one of the teams, and I think American was his partner.  Anyway, my brother and I were on a team, "Brothers Grim", and we also competed in the 1v1 tournament, along with my bro's roommate.

We ended up taking 2nd place to the AVG team (the iD guys, "the Doom Gods" lost in an early round to "the New Doom Gods"-- a team we crushed on our way to the finals).  I can't remember the name of the AVG team, but it was a close match which I still think we would have won if it weren't for mouse issues (I had been using one of their mice because I didn't have one of my own at the time, but they needed it to play against us in the finals, so I had to borrow a really cheap bargain bin mouse from someone else).  It was a really close match, though.

I also ended up taking 2nd place in the 1v1 tournament, again, losing to one of the guys that worked at Austin Virtual Gaming.  I had played him the night before, just for practice, and completely crushed him.  The look on his face was pretty much just "shock".  The day of the finals, I had to beat my brother's roommate to get into the final match.  I thought he was better than me, and that I'd certainly lose.  Somehow, I got a lead of 2 or 3 kills on him early in the timed match, and decided to set up an ambush instead of hunting him and engaging him, which was what everyone had been doing throughout the tournaments up to this point.  He never went down the hall where I was waiting for him, so I just sat there until time had almost run out.  He was so pissed he threatened to physically attack me in the middle of our match, lol.  I think when I took my checkbook out of my pocket and started balancing it within his view during the match he almost snapped (we were at 90-degree angles from each other, so we couldn't see each others screens, but we could look right at each other).

Anyway, I felt bad about it, so I came out of hiding and we traded kills for the last couple of minutes until I won.  The guy I went up against in the finals didn't agree to the first map I selected, because he said it would be too easy for me to get a lead and hide, so I agreed to the map he wanted, and promised I would run and gun with him without hiding if I got the lead.  I kept my word, got a small lead-- but then he took the lead back... and commenced to hide for the remaining half of the match, lol.