Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is the oldest PC game that you own

I've got a copy of Terminator: Future Shock from the late 1990s. It will run (sort of) on a T21 Thinkpad I own, on Windows 98 in DOS mode. Always seems to crash after a few minutes though.

41 minutes ago, unerxai said:

That sucks. Did you get to exchange it for another game at least?

Nah, just got the money back. And honestly, in hindsight, I think it was a good thing. I mean, I -was- under the age, and frankly it was better that I had a parent paying attention, instead of all those weird stories that came out in the mid-2000's. The ones where a grand mom buys the kids GTA4 and THEN gets shocked that its super violent and has sex scenes, while acting like it was completely unexpected. 

Should note that it's not like "violent games" in and of themselves were banned or never allowed when I was a kid. Was just that I was prone to more aggressive outbursts, and the folks felt better about me digging into this sort of thing when I was at least a little older. *shrug* Like  I said, I think it worked out in the end for the best. 

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

I did have a copy of Recoil which came with my families first PC in 2000 but the disc got cracked and was chucked out.

I think I saw before your edit you had Super Mario Land. I know that doesn't count but I love that game! I had the World 2 Level 1 Muda music as my ringtone for the longest time.

35 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I think I saw before your edit you had Super Mario Land. I know that doesn't count but I love that game! I had the World 2 Level 1 Muda music as my ringtone for the longest time.

Yeah I somehow missed the "PC" in the title. Muda's music is my favorite as well. SML was my first game and I eventually played the series of Gameboy Mario/Wario Land games from when I was a child to my mid teens.

Edited by Avoozl

Spore, I think. My family got it for me and my brother back in 2008 or so. In terms of the first PC game I played, I'm not sure. My memory with their names is foggy, considering I was only 4 or 5 when I first used a computer, but I do recall seeing games/discs like the first Call of Duty and Age of Empires on the desk. 

I'm not sure if that Spore disc works anymore, due to Maxis/EA's stupid 5 use code or whatever.

I binned most of my physical copies. As neat as they are, they take up a lot of space. Before that, Wolfenstein 3D would  be the oldest though to be fair it was a CD release from around 1998 I believe. I did keep some of the more interesting cases though, and so Hexen would take the honours as the oldest.

Does a late 90's CD of Wolf3D count? The game itself is from 1992 even though the CD was produced closer to 2000. Is that cheating? I also have the Doom Collector's Edition CD, but once again it's from 2001.

In terms of non-PC games, I have an absolutely enormous stack of NES, Famicom, Super Nintendo and Genesis cartridges. Basically all of the NES carts themselves were manufactured in 1985, though I'm sure I've seen 1983 copyrights on some of the title screens.

EDIT: Just confirmed, one of my physical copies of Donkey Kong for Famicom was apparently produced in 1983.

As a physical copy, Logical from 1991, this was the first PC game I programmed myself and also my first contact with PC programming.

Probably X-Wing, but I'm too lazy to dig through my drawer of old games and see if I still have the physical copy. If not, then Doom II.

5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just confirmed, one of my physical copies of Donkey Kong for Famicom was apparently produced in 1983.

We have a winner.

Oldest game I actually bought on my own is Spear of Destiny.

I still have a 1.44" disk for a game called Brix though:

Brix-DSL.jpg

Before that, our family used to have an Atari ST, which came with a lot of games. I forgot most of them, but I remember playing Deja Vu, Zany Golf and Speedball a lot.

However, that stuff's long since been sold.

I still have the 3.5" floppies and manual from the 1992 GT Interactive big box release of Commander Keen in Goodbye, Galaxy! which I bought brand new in a Toyworld store a long time ago.  Unfortunately the box is long gone.

The oldest games I own complete-in-box are Spear of Destiny (Super CD Pack released in 1994), Wolfenstein 3D (Manaccom CD-ROM version released in 1995), and the retail 1995 jewel case re-releases (i.e., budget versions that did not come in big boxes) of Monster Bash, Duke Nukem II, Hocus Pocus, Raptor, Blake Stone, and Planet Strike, though these are all physical games I bought relatively recently.

I also own big boxes of Chasm: The Rift, Carnivores 1-3, Turok 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Descent I and II compilation, Quake, The Terminator: Future Shock, SkyNET, Half-Life: Adrenaline Pack, etc.

18 hours ago, Jello said:

and Myst, released in September of 1993.

Oh yeah - I still have my Myst cd too. Ending of that one was dickish...

13 hours ago, noisebloom said:

Oh yeah - I still have my Myst cd too. Ending of that one was dickish...

Yeah, whole game was kind of dickish. But at least you could get through it without a guide for the most part. I've tried playing Riven and Myst 3, but so many of the puzzles are so obtuse that you have to use a guide. At which point I feel like I'm not even playing the game.

The Seventh Guest was much better, all the puzzles had at least some logical solution to them. Besides the microscope/virus puzzle, playing against the AI was absolutely ridiculous, because it always made the perfect move. I think my older brother might've beaten it once, but nobody else in the house was able to. And he might've just been lying about it.

Edited by Jello

I believe the oldest physical game I own is my boxed copy of Ultimate Doom on CD-ROM.

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis AKA ARMA: Cold War Assault before the name change.

Wolfenstein 3D: Spear of Destiny (1992, 3.5" floppy version) is currently the oldest boxed PC game in my collection. There are a couple of older ones I'd like to get one day, but prices have gone up across the board so I haven't added to my collection in a while.

Assuming you mean any personal computer rather than IBM-compatible, then I'd have to say Space Invader for the Sharp MZ-80K:

It came on a cassette tape. I think I also got Pacman around the same time.

Edit: watching that reminded me about Electron 22622, which was a much better game that came out a little later:

Edited by Grazza