Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArgentFrequencies

Same switch texture across textures which should be different

Question

I was trying to make a level when I discovered that 5 switch textures (Excluding their 'active' variants) were exactly the same, despite adopting names corresponding with textures other than the one behind the visible switch in their textures.

textureswithlabels.png.d29eee5edbab0d0d20a8b3ebfa3e0647.png

When viewed in chocolate doom and slade, the results are the same. Is this just normal for the Doom II IWAD, or is mine corrupted somehow?

4 answers to this question

ID didn't code separate switch texture lists for Doom1 and 2. So some switches like those ones, were replaced with placeholders when a game didn't use them.

Just now, Vermil said:

ID didn't code separate switch texture lists for Doom1 and 2. So some switches like those ones, were replaced with placeholders when a game didn't use them.

So these are supposed to look the same? I'm relieved, but find it weird that they decided to get rid of some really good textures alongside these.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Switch

Switches follow a tiered system: all switches present in the shareware version of Doom are expected to be found in the full version; and all switches present in the registered version are expected to also be found in Doom II. However, since a few Doom switches were not used in the Doom II levels, they were replaced by dummies, despite the needed patches for their definition being actually present in DOOM2.WAD.

Yeah it's dumb but that's how it is. A lot of decisions about Doom weren't really made with modding in mind, which is somewhat understandable given how new a concept it was at the time.