Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What is the oldest piece of video game hardware that you own?

For me, it's definitely my age-old N64 cartridge of Super Mario 64 that I play occasionally on my N64. It looks exactly like it did back in '96. 

What is the oldest piece of video game hardware that you guys own?

My previous single core PC from 2006 and its monitor are probably the oldest gaming-related hardware I still have lying around (or rather, in the basement).

It would've been the NES clone systems and the mountain of games if it wasn't for me being an extremely stupid kid at he time...

I have a fully functioning NES from Christmas 1989 which we got as a gift to share with my little brother, as well as a SNES too. And about 25 games for the NES, and 20 for SNES. Still order some near-mint condition ones from online auction shops in Finland. :) 

EDIT. and another broken NES which stayed with me from an ex-girlfriend, which I can use for spare parts in case the working one goes out of order :D

7 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Commodore VIC-20

Nice! For me its a Commodore 64 but it seems like one of my RAM chips has died. :( But the monitor still works great for testing N64 hacks! :D 

That I can think of off the top of my head...Got a Megadrive in my cupboard, a model 1 too...Not sure if I still have my old grey brick Gameboy anymore...been years since I've seen that!

I frequent thrift stores, so I have a small collection of classic PC games. Beyond that, I have a Super Nintendo Game Genie (unfortunately no Super Nintendo or games to go with it though...)

If we're going beyond video games and speaking more generally of games in general, I like collecting vintage board games. I have a gorgeous 60s Risk board and two Uno decks from ~1979 and ~1980 respectively, as well as a Deluxe Uno from around the same time. I also recently picked up a copy of Uno Tiles, an 80s spinoff boardgame that seems to be a sort of Uno/Scrabble hybrid.

The oldest board game I have is one I've yet to find anything about online. It's called "THE BIG BOARD" (quotes included) and it seems to be from the 50s. It has a mock stock market, with fake brands and everything.

EDIT: Someone else's post reminded me, I have E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for Atari 2600. No Atari to play it on, but for a dollar at a yard sale I couldn't pass up a piece of gaming history.

Edited by Pokemanic33

I have a old an Playstation Portable but its analog stick is possessed and its battery has become so fat that it can't even fit anymore. I might do something about it someday but for now, I'll just let it sit on my cabinet collecting dust.

9 hours ago, FireballCaco said:

For me, it's definitely my age-old N64 cartridge of Super Mario 64 that I play occasionally on my N64. It looks exactly like it did back in '96. 

What is the oldest piece of video game hardware that you guys own?

Games are usually classed as software and computers and consoles are known as hardware.

I still have my Mega Drive from back in the day, although I haven't used it for a while.

Got some Atari 2600 stuff. I don't have the console right now but they're pretty cheap.

I used to own a computer with only a disk drive, and an internal soundcard (the kind that makes sound with just random noise it makes without boxes or something), I think it could only display 16 colours. It could only run Commander Keen.

I think I have a SNES lying around somewhere. I did Super Metroid runs probably as late as 2012. I don't remember getting rid of the NES, but I'm not sure if I still have it.

I have an APF TV Fun (~1976) - it's a great pong console that you can buy online for pretty cheap. I highly recommend the model which supports and comes with external paddles, as the paddles for this system are really cool.

It'd be my NES. Still have the original Mario Bros/Duckhunt for it as well, and some other games. It doesn't get that much use anymore, but I don't see a point in getting rid of it. I was kind of sad when I had to sell my copy of Gargoyle's Quest 2 a few years ago, but I needed the money. That was probably my favorite NES game, however it was one of the few NES games that are actually still worth something.

For me it would be the Magnavox Odyssey that my Dad had growing up. He was moving to another state and asked if I wanted it. It doesn't work but it is cool to have.

I have an Atari 2600 buried in a drawer somewhere. I love retro gaming! I have an NES, SNES, N64, TG-16, Genesis, and Master System hooked up to an old CRT at the moment. The 2600 hasn't aged well, and just isn't that fun, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Yourfacedotcom said:

Vectrex

I am such a nerd about vector graphics and I miss the arcade machines that had them. I never owned a Vectrex because I could never justify the price they go at now. But I am always excited when I see one! I wonder if that warning about eye damage was legit or just came about due to a lack of research at the time?

I have an original DMG model Game Boy.  It's still chugging as I maintain it, though I do prefer my color.

The games though?  Nah I just use a flashcart.

1 hour ago, lazy91geek said:

I have an Atari 2600 buried in a drawer somewhere. I love retro gaming! I have an NES, SNES, N64, TG-16, Genesis, and Master System hooked up to an old CRT at the moment. The 2600 hasn't aged well, and just isn't that fun, in my opinion.

I got an Atari 2600 as well.  Mine has a coax antenna mod.

I kinda agree, there's only a couple of games that are really fun IMHO; Astroblast being one of those.

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

I kinda agree, there's only a couple of games that are really fun IMHO; Astroblast being one of those.

It's always been that system that I want to love but just can't get into.  I play quite a lot of Atari's arcade games, just not on the 2600.

Atari 7800, my first game console.  So many good memories...

Also a TI-99/4a, my first computer, if you want to count that.  Actually I guess I have an Atari 400 as well, though I didn't get that until a few years ago.