Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Personal Best Demo Thread ← POST YOUR NON-WRs HERE

Posted (edited)

edit: removed my previous comment as I misunderstood, everything here will also be uploaded to DSDArchive eventually.

Edited by ZeroMaster010

1 hour ago, dew said:

The notable exception is movies (episode or full runs), which should always go to the official thread even when they're "mere" PBs. They're the crowning achievement of Doom speedrunning and everyone needs to know! 

What is the policy if there are deaths during the run (aside from death exits)?

4 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

What is the policy if there are deaths during the run (aside from death exits)? 

Those wouldn't be legit movie runs as the death stops completion, so the exception doesn't apply to them.

I mostly only put hard map demos and UV Max/Reality runs in the official thread when I'm not breaking the record. For example, I knew my UV Max for Sunder Map10 is slow AF... or my UV Max/Reality for Sunlust Map02..., so I hope these won't be rejected to the archive. Other than these edge cases, I do try my hardest to at least come close to the record before posting stuff.

I understand the problem of the high volume of submissions (which is a good sign of the community growing) and all the work involved. I would gladly help, if needed.

But I'm a bit confused about when to post a new demo on the specific WAD thread VS here. I suppose the difference is: here things might not get (quickly) uploaded to DSDA. But is it because the poster doesn't want that, or because it's not allowed?

Some examples why it's confusing for me:

If I grind a map 10 hours on a demo, but only get 2nd place on DSDA, should I post here?
If I "grind" a map 10 mins on a demo, but get a lucky 2nd place anyway, should I post here?
If I grind a map 10 hours on a demo, but get 20th place because I really can't get better, should I post here?

TL;DR: It's not clear where's the line between being allowed to post in the specific WAD thread VS here.

Who decides? Is it the poster; as in "I want this demo of mine in DSDA" VS "I don't..."?

This issue was raised by j4rio as well and for clarity's sake it would be best if simply all non-record demos went here. However I cannot fault anyone for posting their hard grind effort elsewhere. If good will seems to be abused, the mods can just move such posts back here.

The consensus now is that all demos posted here will eventually be uploaded to the archive. Don't consider this factor detrimental in sharing your progress here despite not reaching some record barriers.

Great to see this thread finally here, now I don't have to worry about anyone calling my demos low-effort! :D

would i be able to send a demo here, that is technically record (7.2s vs 7.9s) but not get it on DSDA because i consider it as an incomplete demo?

This is my first time ever attempting a speedrun, and I had a lot of fun with it o/

Personal best is 11 seconds so far but gonna try and get it lower

Kumo run 11s.zip

14 hours ago, Kumoko said:

This is my first time ever attempting a speedrun, and I had a lot of fun with it o/

Personal best is 11 seconds so far but gonna try and get it lower

Kumo run 11s.zip

Lol I am glad you included a text file but you never said what level it's for!

For future viewers: it's E1M1 (and you must specify DOOM.wad iwad or you get PNAMES error)

-complevel 3 is right for Ultimate Doom, yes. Here's a great resource.

"-complevel 3, -record 11 attempts, -skill 4" you didn't have the commas in your PowerShell command did you? And yeah I'm surprised it let you run it with the stray 'attempts' in the line.

In any case, great run keep it up!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Lol I am glad you included a text file but you never said what level it's for!

For future viewers: it's E1M1 (and you must specify DOOM.wad iwad or you get PNAMES error)

-complevel 3 is right for Ultimate Doom, yes. Here's a great resource.

"-complevel 3, -record 11 attempts, -skill 4" you didn't have the commas in your PowerShell command did you? And yeah I'm surprised it let you run it with the stray 'attempts' in the line.

In any case, great run keep it up!

Specify the DOOM.wad/iwad? do you mean the program I use to run doom and write it in the text file?

(Also its PRboom+)

I meant that for people running the demo. If you run your demo by double clicking (see more here) it gives an error.

You have to do prboom-plus -iwad doom.wad -playdemo 11.lmp

For you, just say "E1M1" somewhere in post/textfile if it's Doom 1. Else people assume Doom 2.

Doom E3M2 NM Speed in 0m15.17s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.3) 20200304
Demo: doom-e3m2n1517.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/395419154

Doom E3M2 NoMo in 0m13.51s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.3) 20200304
Demo: doom-n3m2o1351.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/395420097

Doom E3M6S NoMo in 0m06.83s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.4) 20200306
Demo: doom-n3m6so0683.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/395889369

Doom E3M6S NM Speed in 0m06.94s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.4) 20200306
Demo: doom-e3m6sn0694.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/395897948

Doom E3M6S Pacifist in 0m06.83s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.4) 20200308
Demo: doom-e3m6sp0683.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/396208678

Doom E1M1 NoMo in 0m09.83s (prboom-plus-2.5.1.3) 20191202
Demo: doom-n1m1o0983.zip
Video: https://vimeo.com/376780624

Plutonia
MAP06 UV Respawn in 2:44.89 (record is 2:38.91 by Cyberdemon531, 2015)

Demo: pl06r-244.zip
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DooI0Q5vAa4

A failed attempt from the 1000 records month. So fed up with this map; I can't work down the time any longer, need to change.

This is for DSDA, if/whenever possible, since it required some effort, despite being just 2nd place.

1 hour ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

i hope i can get into the community!

You demonstrated quite some... potential in the discord server, best of luck

5 hours ago, ClumsyDoomer said:

You demonstrated quite some... potential in the discord server, best of luck

i was kicked from the discord (hell on earth) for asking to many questions. so...

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, noob_killer012345678 said:

i was kicked from the discord (hell on earth) for asking to many questions. so...

Under different circumstances I would leave this uncommented, but since your post here makes us look as if we didn't want to help people get started with speedrunning classic Doom, I absolutely have to make a few things clear here.

To begin with, nobody gets kicked (or banned) for asking too many questions. What got you sorted out, among other things, was that you kept asking the same questions repeatedly, even though all your questions have been answered several times over. If you had asked for something specific instead of saying...
image.png.7807c7d029057c2d4407ff4869130482.png

...when being shown a guide on how to get set up, then we might have been on to something, but replies like that are nothing anybody can actually work with. Saying "I don't get it" doesn't help, especially not when it happens several times over.

In addition to that, you claimed that the several links and guides that were already provided (thanks to the efforts people made so that you could have a decent start) recommended "Chocolate Doom" as a port to use for speedrunning, which is plain and simple not true (people know it's false because they were the ones writing the guides, so there's that). When being told that you were on the wrong track entirely, and you'd be better off using a different port to record your demos (Not only because we have guides available for them, but also because they're commonly agreed upon as being "better at the job"), your reaction was the following:
image.png.9402790eed5000225fbb650abe078d0c.png

The bottom line is that one of the moderators had enough of these animosities of yours, and chose to drop the hammer, which was a decision I personally agreed with at the time (In fact I might have hammered you myself if you kept going like you did).

So no, you didn't get kicked because you had questions, and trying to make it look as if that were the reason is kinda disingenuous in my book.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels