Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Personal Best Demo Thread ← POST YOUR NON-WRs HERE

Ultimate Doom
E2M8 UV Max in 0:30.97 (record is 0:30.23 by GuyNamedErick, 2018)

Demo: e2m8-030.zip
Video: https://youtu.be/GnmIWUVCLj8

8 minutes of grinding + attempt number 13 = got a time of 30.97. So I thought to myself: "If the current record is 30.23, with some more attempts I'll be able to get a 29s run!". Boy was I wrong... I grinded this map over the course of 7 days, spent more than 3 hours on it and did a total of 394 attempts, and the best I could get after that was 31s. Anyway, in this 30.97 run I managed to kill the cyberdemon with 37 direct rockets. The min rockets is 36, so this was indeed a very very lucky run.

Not sure where you got 36 from, but the minimum is 25. Shock and I tried this run some years ago and managed to improve max and fast to 30, but ya, it's an insane wall to get to 29. I think about trying it again every now and then, but that run completely drained me at the time.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Coincident said:

The min rockets is 36

Assuming all rockets hit the max of 20D8 = 160

4000 / 160 = 25 as kraflab mentioned.

As the more you use, the more towards the average, so I guess you have to be even luckier to actually break the wall of 30. Maybe you need the Lost Souls to cooperate.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kraflab said:

Not sure where you got 36 from

From here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Rocket_launcher
My mistake was not reading the small letters:

1. This table assumes that all calls to P_Random for damage, pain chance, impact animations, and backfire checks are consecutive. In real play, this is never the case: counterattacks and AI pathfinding must be handled, and of course the map may contain additional moving monsters and other randomized phenomena (such as flickering lights). It is also assumed that all projectiles are launched at nearly the same range, so that the various procedures call P_Random in the same sequence each time. Any resulting errors are probably toward the single-shot average, as they introduce noise into the correlation between the indices of "consecutive" calls.

So it makes sense that something like 25 is achievable with non-consecutive, always-max-dmg rng rolls.

Hello everyone :)

This is my first contribution to the ladder

Ultimate Doom - E1M1 - UV/Speed - 00:10:74

Thank you for your time

e1m1-00077.zip

Posted (edited)

Hello again!

Feeling both happy and unsatisfied with this. Happy because I reached my sub 10 goal of yesterday and got in the top 10 on the leaderboard but unsatisfied because I can definitely see how poorly executed it was - I went too deep on the right in the green room; I mostly got lucky with the RNG on this.

I did some NOMO beforehand to see what my best time could look like at my current level and it ended up being 9.69. I changed my direction when entering the 2nd room compared with my first run and that worked quite well for me. However, it is very clear that this is not good enough.

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how it is possible to reach high 8 at this point in time. It's a whole second under this run and I think that even if I executed it flawlessly, with my current technique, I can't see reaching anything more than a low-mid 9.

I guess I'll have to study those a bit and try to understand.

Ultimate Doom - E1M1 - UV/Speed - 00:09:94

Thank you for your time

e1m1-00466.zip

Doom 2: Nuts on Earth (nuts.wad) - UV-Pacifist 36:14

If this isn't pacifist, please tell me. It should be, though, as far as I can collect the data from it.

nutsuvp3614.zip

Scythe Map01 NoMo in 0:09.74

Scythe Map02 NoMo in 0:08.37

Scythe Map04 NoMo in 0:14.40

Scythe Map05 NoMo in 0:11.31

Scythe Map06 NoMo in 0:10.29

Scythe Map07 NoMo in 0:01.34

Scythe Map08 NoMo in 0:08.43

Scythe Map09 NoMo in 0:19.34

Scythe Map10 NoMo in 0:12.17

sc01o0974.zip

sc02o0837.zip