Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speed_your_feed

Which sourceport is best?

There are plenty of ways to play Doom. You can either download the game from Steam or GOG, or you can download a sourceport that runs the game with WADs. Now I prefer Chocolate Doom. But there are more modern ways to play Doom, like Crispy Doom, ZDoom, GZDoom, etc. I've played the more modern sourceports, but I want to know which sourceport do YOU prefer. I am a purist, which means I like to play Doom like it is. Just reply for your favourite sourceport. I bet it's gonna be ZDoom...

Throughout its history, Doomworld has had a lot of threads like this.

The best port for you is the one that does what you want it to do, handles how you want it to handle, and doesn't bother with stuff you don't care about. All these points are highly subjective, obviously.

inb4 watch this topic going to hell reeeeeeally soon.

The port that suits one's needs best. The one and only answer.

As for me, my favorite are PrBoom, Eternity, GZDoom, Crispy, and Chocolate.

My favorites are Crispy Doom and Pr-Boom+. Crispy Doom especially since I'm making more limit removing stuff these days.

> I am a purist, which means I like to play Doom like it is. 

GZDoom with freelook, no crosshairs, and the difficulty on high is just so much better.  I can't go back.

I like how the old Doom looks with its glittery VGA resolution, 256 color palette and colormap fadeouts.  That contributes a lot to atmosphere and is something all the GL sourceports I've tried tend to lose.  I also like how Doom is like Linux, it's practically been ported to anything with a CPU.  Vanilla Doom is a great technical achievement for the time. 

But DOOM is much more than just it's graphical rendering, it's an extremely well designed game that holds up when more power is put behind it.  It uses that power so well.

1 minute ago, Lawrence said:

> I am a purist, which means I like to play Doom like it is. 

GZDoom with freelook, no crosshairs, and the difficulty on high is just so much better.  I can't go back.

Freelook actually makes me physically sick and even when I play GZDoom I prefer to have it off. I'm not sure why this happens, as I can play normal shooters just fine. Also its funny saying you can't go back to older ports, but I'm the complete reversal. I started playing on GZDoom and now that I've played Crispy Doom and Pr-Boom, I can't go back. I am by no means a purist, I can't stand the 35 fps limit of chocolate Doom, I just prefer the way it looks and plays on the two previously mentioned ports.

GZdoom for all-round dooming and ease of use.

PrBoom+ for gameplay authenticity and demo recording.

These two ports cover 99.9% of the use cases.

34 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

34 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I use Delta Touch exclusively anymore for all my Dooming, and have used every single source port on there for one reason or another. I've listed mine in order of preference.

1.  GZDoom has 4 different versions available for compatibility and it supports local multiplayer.  This is my go to, I love the features it adds for more modern maps.

2.  LZDoom for when I need features of GZDoom but don't want the processing overhead, like shadowmaps and shaders.

3.  PRBoom + for high enemy counts, just to keep it playable.

4.  Chocolate Doom for that old school charm, played the D4V mod on a few maps and loved it in Choc, we need more fresh content like this.

5.  Zandronum for online multiplayer, but I play more single player, so this is near the bottom.

6.  Doom Retro for the framerate, resolution scaling and ease of use on classic maps.  I use this one the least, I'll usually pick PRBoom or Choc over Retro.

On 3/9/2020 at 5:54 PM, Redneckerz said:
  • KBDoom
  • Legacy 2

Never heard of these, would you mind to explain?

4 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Never heard of these, would you mind to explain?

Sure:

• KBDoom is KB1's port that seems to be rather advanced in its features. However, it has also been in development for the longest time. It exists though, because there are screenshots out there. Sadly KB1 is blocked on DW, so it remains to be seen if it ever comes out.
  • Legacy 2 is short for Legacy 2.0. Its a port not made by the Legacy 1.x team. It has some advanced visual features like normal mapping and stencil shadows. However, development is hardly existent, so its in limbo. Mostly to stay up to date on libraries. One of its members used to make dev builds, the latest being of December 2007 (When the stuff was in). It obviously needs something else in order to enable normal maps or stencil shadows (Tested the build a few days) ago.

I am just jokingly stating these lesser known ports because these threads are omnipresent and they always mention usual suspects that one could find on the Wiki. So i rather say things that make people get interested in that, and so you did. Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Never heard of these,

That's kind of the point. One was never publicly released and the other has long been abandoned.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I am just jokingly stating these lesser known ports because these threads are omnipresent and they always mention usual suspects that one could find on the Wiki. So i rather say things that make people get interested in that, and so you did. Thank you :)

Ha, that actually makes these posts less 'stale'. Anyways, I love to learn about these lesser known ports. They are very interesting :)

Just now, xzotikk said:

Ha, that actually makes these posts less 'stale'. Anyways, I love to learn about these lesser known ports. They are very interesting :)

If you want to, i can tell you on a bunch of them in DM. :)

Just now, Redneckerz said:

If you want to, i can tell you on a bunch of them in DM. :)

Sure, I don't have anything better to do anyways.

i prefer to play with my imagination, looking on automap pictures from doom wiki. no sourceport so far could exceed that in gfx features and immersion.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:54 AM, Redneckerz said:

KBDoom

Don't remind me of how long I had to wait for it back in 2018-2019 :(

Spoiler

The Four Horsemen of DOOMpocalypse

• Mordeth 2
  • DoomScript (ZScript aside)
  • Every single DOOM alpha/beta-based mod that is not Doom Delta
  • KBDoom

1 minute ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Hide contents

The Four Horsemen of DOOMpocalypse

• Mordeth 2
  • DoomScript (ZScript aside)
  • Every single DOOM alpha/beta-based mod that is not Doom Delta
  • KBDoom

Well ZScript is effectively DoomScript as envisioned. And Mordeth E2, there are screenshots, so its in development :)

Legacy 2 is also a funny contender though it has an alpha release. Relatively high end visuals (for a port) but its in dev limbo.

3 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Same here. I got really excited when I first saw a screenshot of it and decided to keep an eye ....

.... but then I heard kb1 got banned :(

Edited by ReaperAA

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

but then kb1 got banned :(

Did he though? And if so, why?

22 minutes ago, seed said:

Did he though? And if so, why?

Well I heard someone say that he got banned. I think it was either Edward850 or Gez (unsure if it even was either of these) who stated this. I assumed it to be true because kb1 hasn't made a post since I read that.

And I don't know the reason for the ban.

19 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

@ReaperAA @seed Last online March 10 - he probably resorted to lurking.

If it allows them to still log in, it doesn't help that much.

It's not the first time I'm hearing this though, someone else told me he got banned a while ago.