Custom Doom Map: Forsaken Core

Name: Forsaken Core

Occupies: MAP03

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20200309_191655.png.755debb15fecb10ab641ec06b988f8b1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200309_191721.png.f0754e210d69e2947f8e36d3d5927e5a.png

File: FORCORE.zip

I have made a custom map for vanilla Doom II and would love thoughts/feedback on it. I was going for a dark, void-esque techbase setting. It's relatively short and occupies Map03.

It's not my first map, but it's only the second that I've made public and one of not many I have made that I would consider complete. It's completely vanilla compatible as far as I know, although the room with the red key originally had visplane overflows and HOMS when playing with Chocolate Doom. I believe all bugs are fixed now, but if anyone finds more, that would good to know.

Anyway enough talk, let me know what you guys think of the map and if there are any improvements I can make.

Nice atmosphere here. Good to see one of the moody e2 midis used outside of UDoom. I'd suggest hiding the linedefs of the core's 'bounding box' on the automap. 

@rdwpa Thanks for the comment, I was definitely going for a sort of abandoned and haunting atmosphere. And yeah actually, hiding those linedefs might be a good idea, I may even push them further/darken the walls to where they can't even be seen.

Just given this a go. Completed it fairly comfortably first time on UV in GLBoom+, but in this recorded playthrough got into a few difficulties towards the end and was perhaps lucky to survive! The map was pretty linear and very straightforward in its layout, but it held my interest throughout and there's still something to go back for as I didn't find any secrets (though I wasn't really looking for any on this occasion, to be honest). Thanks for the entertainment!

@Summer DeepThanks for posting a playthrough! That was more than I could ask for. The secrets definitely reward you and make things easier if you manage to find them. Also, that was a clever Cacodemon coming down into the room at 6:25, didn't know that they actually would be able to so cool to know so you don't have to fight one right in your face when you teleport back up.