Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

GZDoom HUD does not fit in a 1920 × 1080 resolution

Hey everyone,

So, after upgrading my Laptop to one with a 1080p monitor and some good configs. I download GZDoom and keep getting this HUD on even the OG WADS:Screenshot_Doom_20200310_213648.png.e537a709eba680dfd9596432253dfcf2.png

When I scale my screen size to max, I get the other one, but the info like monsters/secrets / items on the map disappear. Because obviously they are not fit yet.

Screenshot_Doom_20200310_213643.png.97aa38daf7de1891e0d9de4c8eef7e14.png

I tried to change the video and HUD settings, but the HUD is still not scaled at all. Seeing the full sprites are not shown is really annoying.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I searched for this but found results about the console which isn't really my issue.

I tried to force 4:3 aspect ratio but the result was the same.

That weapon isn't in stock GZDoom nor is that sidepane with all the weapons so i have to ask the following:

• Which version of GZDoom are you running?
  • Which other mods are loaded alongside it?
  • Please post your GZDoom.ini file as an attachment.

Consider posting this on the ZDoom Forums, taking the above questions into account and the ini attachment.

18 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

That weapon isn't in stock GZDoom

I shared a screenshot from Brutal Doom mod.

Which version of GZDoom are you running?

The latest version there is. 4.3.3g

Which other mods are loaded alongside it?

Brutal Doom 21, but this is not what changes the HUD scaling. OG Doom has this issue as well. (The reason HUD is different a bit in size is because I tried 5:4 and 4:3 aspect ratio here.

Screenshot_Doom_20200310_232733.png.76dc80dbcfa650cef8f0944e384c5fe3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200310_232730.png.b8730ef95ca36e4b5e8b16ee2e04502c.png

Please post your GZDoom.ini file as an attachment.

Sure, here you go.

Edit: BTW, I renamed my ini file to make the game create a second to be able to see if there was a messing up from my side, but I saw the HUD was not scaled again. Hope this helps too

gzdoom-Arshia.rar

Edited by The Doommer

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

sorry, i have to tag you for this as this is your forte

Thanks for trying to help anyways

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

@Graf Zahl sorry, i have to tag you for this as this is your forte, i hope you can spare some of your time on this!

The first screenshot looks like a badly coded status bar replacement. I cannot see anything wrong with the other screenshots. If the HUD was really broken you'd think we'd be flooded with bug reports, wouldn't you?

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The first screenshot looks like a badly coded status bar replacement. I cannot see anything wrong with the other screenshots.

Agreed. But the OP states it also happens in OG Doom, hence posting the ini. Did this reveal anything for you?

Nothing points out that this is a geniune GZ issue, however, but perhaps @The Doommer can clarify.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

If the HUD was really broken you'd think we'd be flooded with bug reports, wouldn't you?

Obviously.  :)

12 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

What is it you're trying to get, exactly? I'm not sure I even understand.

Are you trying to get it look like this?

Hide contents

cAApkyu.png

Yes. I already tried changing the HUD scaling but no chance.

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The first screenshot looks like a badly coded status bar replacement.

At first, I thought the same, but since OG Doom results in the same issue and I already tried to make GZDoom choose the HUD size by renaming the ini file, I think it's a bit more than that

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

othing points out that this is a geniune GZ issue

The fact that HUD isn't scaled, even after trying to reset the whole thing speaks of some issue though.

I don't get this with LZDoom though

23 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Edit: BTW, I renamed my ini file to make the game create a second to be able to see if there was a messing up from my side, but I saw the HUD was not scaled again. Hope this helps too

gzdoom-Arshia.rar

You have now uploaded a .rar with (Arshia) as a file name, when i open it, i get the notification its a broken archive. Renaming it to an .ini results in a broken file also, so i do not know what you did right there.

In the directory, you can simply copy the .ini and post that as an attachment instead, without zipping or rarring it.

6 hours ago, The Doommer said:

At first, I thought the same, but since OG Doom results in the same issue

I am going to call dibs on this considering the first screen shot. You say its from Brutal Doom, but is the HUD also from Brutal Doom? Because that 031 number in ARMS and the 1 in the right next to something that's dark green is definitely not the original HUD by any means.

6 hours ago, The Doommer said:

and I already tried to make GZDoom choose the HUD size by renaming the ini file, I think it's a bit more than that

Renaming the ini does not change GZDoom's HUD. You probably meant that you altered a parameter in the .ini itself to choose the HUD size.

38 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

The fact that HUD isn't scaled, even after trying to reset the whole thing speaks of some issue though.

As of right now i have every reason to believe its a user side issue. If it was a geniune bug, Graf would have had far more reports on this than just you.

38 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I don't get this with LZDoom though

Without the gzdoom.ini, i have to assume you are loading LZDoom with its default settings and that your gzdoom.ini loads up a modified HUD instead.

Have you tried the scale to fullscreen option for the status bar? It's a very high resolution. You need to move the slider to the left.

17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

your gzdoom.ini loads up a modified HUD instead.

But if you paid attention, I did say that I even renamed the ini file to make gzdoom create a new one, but still the same result

14 minutes ago, drfrag said:

Have you tried the scale to fullscreen option for the status bar?

Trust me, I meddled with all the settings for UHD and video scaling and aspect ratio

31 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

But if you paid attention,

Off-the-cuff remarks do not aid in finding a solution.

29 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

How? I'm sure I RARed the ini file, lemme try again.

Why RAR it in the first place? Its an ini file, nothing more. You can simply upload that the same way you uploaded your zip.

As for the how, opening it results into a crapton of errors.

29 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Zip filed the ini file

gzdoom-Arshia.zip

This one came through. Did a cross compare with my LZDoom ini, and i noticed that this:

hud_althud=

Is true in your case and false in mines. Have you tried changing this to false and see what happens?

If not that, then you may want to tag Graf again and present your case.

19 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You can simply upload that the same way you uploaded your zip.

Didn't allow me to do so, otherwise I would just upload the ini file

19 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Have you tried changing this to false and see what happens?

While I'm pretty sure I did, I'll do it now and post the screenshot.

Alternate HUD changes the annoying display of all weapons. So there's that.

But:

Screenshot_Doom_20200311_235030.png.4ce2fcc2ef09eb356e810842f5003ae4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200311_235037.png.4c75d4cd6dc958180863914fb9d09f87.png

So @Graf Zahl sorry for bothering again, but I think you might want to take a look at both the ini file and these results. You know the tricks better than anyone.

dpJudas wrote the scaling code but i believe he's no longer around here. It's a very high resolution and mine only goes up to 1366.

39 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Off-the-cuff remarks do not aid in finding a solution.

Meant no offense, just meant I said above that I renamed the OG ini file of mine so GZDoom would make another one from scratch.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Renaming the ini does not change GZDoom's HUD.

But it makes GZDoom create a new one like it was installed just now, resetting all the settings to the default.

I renamed it to gzdoom-Arshia.ii (to make GZDoom believe there's no ini file already)

It retested all the settings, so if this was a user-side error it would be fixed, wouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, drfrag said:

It's a very high resolution

Agreed, but for OG Doom maybe, not GZDoom.

Just to be absolutely sure, you definitely tried increasing the User Interface Scale?

image.png.7eaf0118607f75a26a765b9c7b51e16e.png

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

Just to be absolutely sure, you definitely tried increasing the User Interface Scale?

image.png.7eaf0118607f75a26a765b9c7b51e16e.png

Yes. Still no good result.

Maybe this will help you. My LZDoom had the same issue but I fixed it with changing resolution to 1920 × 1080 and force aspect ratio to off. But not in GZDoom it didn't work.

Sending the lzdoom.ini here for full info:

lzdoom-Arshia.zip

This is how it's supposed to look at high resolutions. Remember that it's trying to cut the OG 4:3 DOOM hud to a 16:9 aspect ratio. It's never going to look perfect.

If you want to change that to have a OG Doom style fullscreen hud, follow this video (this is on 1440P on an utterly stock GZDoom install):

Alternatively, you can try this lovely mod.

For Brutal Doom, remember that Brutal Doom has a few custom huds (in fact, all of its huds are custom and they don't really scale well - that grenade indicator in particular). Here's me walking through them on a stock GZDoom + BrutalV21.pk3 install

On 3/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, The Doommer said:

When I scale my screen size to max, I get the other one, but the info like monsters/secrets / items on the map disappear. Because obviously they are not fit yet. 

OK I'm confused, becuase the screenshot you posted shows the monsters and secrets info right there in the bottom left. You can enable items via the alternative hud settings.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

Maybe this will help you. My LZDoom had the same issue but I fixed it with changing resolution to 1920 × 1080 and force aspect ratio to off. But not in GZDoom it didn't work.

So I just had a look at this

The only difference between LZDoom and GZDoom settings is that in LZDoom, the "Status Bar" option in the HUD scaling options menu is set to "Scale to fullscreen"

If you want the LZDoom look, you simply have to change that option. See the above video, or go to your GZDoom.ini file and change the st_scale to st_scale=-1

Edited by Grizzly

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

becuase the screenshot you posted shows the monsters and secrets info right there in the bottom left.

I meant on the automap (Tab map), sorry for not being clear.

If you want the LZDoom look, you simply have to change that option. See the above video, or go to your GZDoom.ini file and change the st_scale to st_scale=-1

Tried that already to no avail.

all of its huds are custom and they don't really scale well

As I sent a screenshot before, OG Doom HUD doesn't scale too.

follow this video

Thanks, I'll update the post after watching the video

So this is how the HUD looks now by the video:

Screenshot_Doom_20200312_220710.png.425098212a1c601e3e1de0ea68074b29.png

Whereas in LZDoom:

Screenshot_Doom_20200312_220847.png.fcac04dc77cb0f37b9fc23834afe09e8.png

So I guess this is the best HUD I will get with this res atm. Hope GZDoom will add some options for a better HUD scaling in the future.

Thank you so much @Grizzly.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

So I guess this is the best HUD I will get with this res atm. Hope GZDoom will add some options for a better HUD scaling in the future.

Why would this be on GZDoom's end? If this was a consistent issue with 1080p screens and GZDoom, don't you think it would be that a lot more users would report this issue?

Even the LZDoom picture seems off considering the gun looks widened.

I do not want to envoke Graf again, but its clear that this needs a more thorough look (and possibly a redirect to the ZDoom forums). As most ZDoomers are there, it would be best post your issue there.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Even the LZDoom picture seems off considering the gun looks widened.

I think it's because of probably a forgot to turn off HUD preserves aspect ratio

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Why would this be on GZDoom's end? If this was a consistent issue with 1080p screens and GZDoom

It is though, because the GZDoom one  is the best one I'll ever get with this resolution.

When I say GZDoom, I mean because Doom is old and need to have some re-coding to make it look good with high res screen.

We won't get a remastered version, so this is the next best option.