Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

GZDoom HUD does not fit in a 1920 × 1080 resolution

2 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I think it's because of probably a forgot to turn off HUD preserves aspect ratio

This adds to the confusion, honestly.

It is though, because the GZDoom one  is the best one I'll ever get with this resolution.

I doubt this, specifically because of the aforementioned reasoning.

When I say GZDoom, I mean because Doom is old and need to have some re-coding to make it look good with high res screen.

Doom's renderer can't just be re-coded to look better on high res screens - Doom's renderer is what it is. Vavoom might be a better option since that does not use Doom's renderer at all.

There is only so much you can do with a stock renderer - Though i say this, the custom GZDoom engine that Project Tremors has used looks above and beyond anything Doom, surpassing even the advanced rendering features of stock GZDoom.

Indecom has only last been here since January though.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

So I guess this is the best HUD I will get with this res atm. Hope GZDoom will add some options for a better HUD scaling in the future. 

Have you considered turning off texture filtering? Aside from texture filtering those huds look identical to me.

And if you want a better GZDoom hud, there's plenty of mods, like the one I linked! :D

2 hours ago, The Doommer said:

I meant on the automap (Tab map), sorry for not being clear.

You just need to turn on "item count" in options -> automap options -> show item counts

29 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This adds to the confusion, honestly.

An option in HUD settings.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Have you considered turning off texture filtering?

No, let's try that too

You mean this?

5 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

like the one I linked!

I probably missed it, lemme see...

image.png

2 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

You just need to turn on "item count" in options -> automap options -> show item counts

These are fixed now, but back at that state, these were set to true in automap settings

46 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I do not want to envoke Graf again, but its clear that this needs a more thorough look (and possibly a redirect to the ZDoom forums). As most ZDoomers are there, it would be best post your issue there.

I still have no idea what the supposed problem here is, to be honest.

afbeelding.png.db30671780f309de8b282cb66e18890c.png

For reference, this is what vanilla doom looks like. So it looks like we have achieved what you want?

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

Well, the thing is, since Doom is a bit very old for 1080p and above monitors, you guys might want to implement some new HUD resizing methods.

I mean, GZDoom is already too good though. But give an option for us to be able to have more options resizing the OG HUD and it's reskins

Just now, The Doommer said:

Well, the thing is, since Doom is a bit very old for 1080p and above monitors, you guys might want to implement some new HUD resizing methods.

I mean, GZDoom is already too good though. But give an option for us to be able to have more options resizing the OG HUD and it's reskins

The hud is already fully customizable, there's plenty of hud mods out there. Heck, brutal doom does it, albeit poorly.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

So it looks like we have achieved what you want?

Almost. It fits now, but I'd like to have an option for a better size.

As I said though, probably this is the best scaling I can get.

Just now, The Doommer said:

Almost. It fits now, but I'd like to have an option for a better size.

What's a "Better size" here? We have already gone through all the available sizes you can get whilst still using vanilla graphics.

1 minute ago, Grizzly said:

What's a "Better size" here?

Thing is, the HUD is too big in my screen. I'd like to make it smaller, but not have wall textures around it (unlike the picture below. I mean, the height is good but the width is a bit short on that setting, isn't it?)

Screenshot_Doom_20200310_232730.png.b47ffe210f6473ee0e1797c6d7bed671.png

But I'd try the mods I guess...

16 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

An option in HUD settings.

That's not what i mean when i say it confuses. It confuses because it shows something that isn't the same thing as what you said.

13 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

The HUD is too large, seemingly. But the OP post is also confusing as heck.

@The Doommer So, how do you want the HUD to actually be? And by that, lets revert to something standard - Choco Doom. Lets remove GZDoom and all ZDoom based engines out of the equation. How should the stock HUD look like to you?

Hm, so all this time your problem was with the bricks? Language barrier is real lol.

Funny. There is no way to work around that, Doom's and by extension the other Doom engine-based games like Heretic, had their assets designed for 4:3/16:10 format, and some don't work well with other formats - heck, in Hexen you can even see missing faces on some weapons as a result, and cut-off gargoyle (skull horns in Heretic) wings.

There are mods that fix this though, I highly recommend the WS huds mod by NightFright, it has what you seem to want. Alternatively, in the options menu you can choose to force a 4:3 format which will also add black bars on the sides of the screen, but get rid of the bricks in the status bar if you leave its scale value set to "Scale to fullscreen":

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37960

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

But the OP post is also confusing as heck.

I'd like to help removing the confusing parts, which parts are confusing to you?

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

How should the stock HUD look like to you?

The HUD I'm getting now covers a big chunk of screen, I never had this annoyance in lower res laptops that I had.

So, I want the HUD to be re-sizable but the width should stay the same.

Like the one I posted but without bricks

27 minutes ago, seed said:

so all this time your problem was with the bricks?

Exactly.

27 minutes ago, seed said:

I highly recommend the WS huds mod by NightFright, it has what you seem to want.

Should try that, cause the last mod I used was not working with GZDoom 4.3.3

EDIT: It's now way better, Thanks.

Screenshot_Doom_20200313_010504.png.f62ea2de3fa20a1b5b29e8c537a416b7.png

Edited by The Doommer

32 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

I'd like to help removing the confusing parts, which parts are confusing to you?

Just that aforementioned screenshot

32 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

The HUD I'm getting now covers a big chunk of screen, I never had this annoyance in lower res laptops that I had.

So, I want the HUD to be re-sizable but the width should stay the same.

Like the one I posted but without bricks

Screenshot, please.

8 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Screenshot, please.

Screenshot_Doom_20200310_232730.png.ad8a99dcc94a31db2c490862b18efa7b.png

Imagine this with no bricks. (Sides extended to the edge of the screen, Ammo count in the far left)

The closet one is this:

Screenshot_Doom_20200313_010504.png.2aa1e42ae3ce3604f911aaf13ae6aba3.pngAnd I feel it's fine now

If that's what you want, the engine cannot do it without external help by some mod, because such graphics simply do not exist natively - and even if they did they won't work with mod replacements for the status bar, which are quite frequent, actually. That's the curse of being an old game being made for a totally different class of displays. You have to make some compromises here.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

the engine cannot do it without external help by some mod, because such graphics simply do not exist natively

Well, since you upgraded the engine to GZDoom, if that was possible, you wouldn't say this. I guess then this means what I ask isn't possible with the current engine limitation even with GZDoom which is a modified id Tech 1.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

That's the curse of being an old game being made for a totally different class of displays. You have to make some compromises here.

I understand. Thank you for your response.

Good luck

Well, since you upgraded the engine to GZDoom, if that was possible, you wouldn't say this. I guess then this means what I ask isn't possible with the current engine limitation even with GZDoom which is a modified id Tech 1.

No, he just told you already - this cannot be fixed on the engine side because the graphics themselves are not widescreen compatible. To fix this, the assets themselves need to be altered first, which the mod I linked above does.

35 minutes ago, The Doommer said:

Well, since you upgraded the engine to GZDoom, if that was possible, you wouldn't say this.

So its in the assets themselves, not in the engine. I guess you have to make do with what you have.

You could also try this mod.  If the border on the sides of the statusbar bother you.  The level stats and colored numbers can be disabled.3jaKQEH.png

2 minutes ago, okbuddy said:

You could also try this mod.

Already tried it, but it wasn't loading at all. Just a long list of undefined characters appeared when starting it

To reiterate what others have said, a good source port won't add any new assets to a game.  It's literally just updating the engine.  What you're asking for is a whole new hud, one redesigned with widescreen hi-res formats in mind.  This shouldn't be, and isn't, in GZDoom's remit (even if it does include some programatical alternatives in the form of the Full Screen and Alternative huds).  

Luckily for you though, GZDoom more than supports the option to create a whole new Hud.  There are dozens and dozens of mods out there that adjust the Hud, but it sounds like you have a very specific idea of what you want.  With that in mind, why not create your own?

SBARINFO, while now superseded by ZScript, is pretty simply to use and you can likely build your perfect Hud using it with a little practice and research.

@The Doommer There is an option in scaling the scaling section, regarding aspect ratio (not sure the name exactly) but it will stretch up your slightly squashed HUD to the proper dimensions.

On 3/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, hoover1979 said:

@The Doommer There is an option in scaling the scaling section, regarding aspect ratio (not sure the name exactly) but it will stretch up your slightly squashed HUD to the proper dimensions.

Yes, already tried that. But it just changes the height a bit