Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HombreSal

Do you guys like Jazz?

I like Coltranes work before a Love supreme and mid-60s-onward Miles Davis. Most of the genre is cursed by snobbery, politics and failed attempts at commercialization.

Jazz is an impressive, skilled genre, but I just don't get into it.   I prefer Blues (which is some foundation for Metal).   I highly recommend R.L. Burnside ever since I heard "It's Bad You Know" on the radio.   This WXPN(.org) station has their Blues Dimension program late some night of the week.   Their standard daily playlist most of the time drives me nuts, but they're still better than most stations.   They're obviously not as independent as they claim to be.

I don't particularly like it, but I took jazz piano lessons for 2 years and played in a jazz lab band for a year and a half, so I at least appreciate it.

Favorite pieces to play were Song For My Father, Cantaloupe Island, and Some Other Time.

And who ever would have guessed Over The Rainbow was a jazz ballad?

Not really, and I had to think about why I didn't care for it. I realized it's because it's instrumental music. I like vocals, and I like lyrics, I like a story, they tend to tie a song together. And I tend to be really picky about the music I listen to. I wouldn't say jazz is bad, I've heard some really great instrumentals, but I don't like it for the same reason I don't like listening to classical music. I can appreciate the work, competency, and dedication put into it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Hell ya. My dad was a big jazz guy so some of that rubbed off on me. I like Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Fletcher Henderson, Teddy Wilson, Woody Herman, Kenny Ball, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, Artie Shaw, just to name a few...

Why yes, I do listen to some jazz at times. Especially this one singer from Manado (North Sulawesi) known as Ermy Kullit. My dad hums this song of hers for almost every single time I can remember being with him.

Love me some jazz, especially the weirder stuff like Sun Ra.

On 3/10/2020 at 9:59 PM, Gokuma said:

Jazz is an impressive, skilled genre, but I just don't get into it.   I prefer Blues (which is some foundation for Metal).   I highly recommend R.L. Burnside ever since I heard "It's Bad You Know" on the radio.   This WXPN(.org) station has their Blues Dimension program late some night of the week.   Their standard daily playlist most of the time drives me nuts, but they're still better than most stations.   They're obviously not as independent as they claim to be.

I'd say that metal has more to do with jazz than blues... at least modern metal. Jazz drummers were already putting the pedal to the metal at death metal-speeds in the '60s when proto-metal was still grooving along on rock and roll rhythms.

Hell ya, Jazz music really helped shape my music tastes through high school. Guys like Django Reinhardt, Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins and the Mills Brothers just to name a few are some of my all time favorites.

11 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Love me some jazz, especially the weirder stuff like Sun Ra.

*grins evilly once he gets to 21:07 in the above video...*