Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taurus Daggerknight

Expansion speculation: Phobos

While I know it's still too early to speculate, a new figure being up for pre-orders has me wondering. Specifically...

GRID-pose_600x900.jpg?v=1581355294

It's titled "DOOM SLAYER FIGURE- PHOBOS VARIANT" on the stores, which makes me wonder if they aren't doing this in preparation of a DLC campaign featuring the titular marine. Anyone else have thoughts on that, or am I just reading too much into this?

Side note; not that I care much, but I do find it funny that, in this age of "WE MUST DIVERSIFY", they decided to make him Caucasian instead of what he was in Quake 3. Probably just an oversight, but I kind of chuckled. 

Doom eternal is about double the length of Doom 2016 (which had 13 levels) so that means that Eternal could possibly have 26?
We've only seen about 6 of those levels so it's possible that Phobos is a level

3 minutes ago, Hydroact said:

Doom eternal is about double the length of Doom 2016 (which had 13 levels) so that means that Eternal could possibly have 26?

Probably not in the base campaign though. I mean, they already announced two expansions/ DLC campaigns from different perspectives. My point of speculation was that we might be seeing Phobos in one of those. I mean...why else would they specifically have a display figure for that? 

17 minutes ago, Hydroact said:

More like 18 levels.  So far most of the levels are about 1-1.5 the length of the Doom 2016 levels.  So there might be some bigger ones.

I thought the skin was a reference to this guy:

phobos-doom.png

EDIT: Well, fuck me for not reading the OP properly. As you were.

In an interview they confirmed that the first two docs will be focused on the Doom Slayer:

I know in an earlier post they said that the DLC would explore the invasion of Earth from different perspectives, but that was over half a year ago, so the must have changed their minds.

The story is usually the last thing that gets set in stone, right? I remember something about the story of 2016 coming together at the last minute, relative to everything else.

2 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hasn't it been established since QuakeCon that Phobos is, in fact, a level in Eternal? I've linked the following vid with a timestamp...

Phobos is a level ,yes, set on the very real moon of mars (well, one of two). However, Phobos is also the codename of a marine from the Doom universe, introduced in Quake 3. 

3 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

However, Phobos is also the codename of a marine from the Doom universe, introduced in Quake 3.

Oops! Color me ignorant, never mind. Move along xD

Honestly, it would be the ultimate nerdy fan-service to be able to incorporate Phobos officially in the Doom lore. His backstory seems pretty dark too, seeing as he was essentially left to die in the clutches of demons; by his superiors no less. But he may have either survived or been reincarnated somehow as a vengeful revenant.

Phobos and Crash should be part of the Doom universe.

Whether they're UAC marines or even part of the Sentinel, i hope they're acknowledged.