Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tourniquet

Mutabor [on /idgames]

Huh, a non-linear and vanilla-compat map. Giving this a shot immediately.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : Typos

Hey, it's out the door. Testing this was good fun, so thanks a bunch for letting me have a crack at this ahead of time. I hope I could make myself a bit useful. I'm really looking forward to people's reactions to the map, because it's a banger.

46 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Ooh, this was a treat to wake up to. Looking forward to playing through this! Miasma was yours, right?

Miasma also came from Tourniquet.

For a map that invites such careful exploration and meandering, it hurt my poor, fragile ego to see Time = SUCKS on the end screen, haha. Took me over an hour to finish this, but it was definitely time well spent. This was a very fun map!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of being in a city that seems to have been warped into some sort of hellish, green toxic void. It's the kind of city map I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Absolutely loved the BFG arena, as well as the interesting green key setup. I found myself getting lost a lot near the home stretch, but despite being an incredibly non-linear and meticulously connected level, I was surprised by just how many ambushes and incidental encounters I continued to bump into across the map, especially in areas I was sure I had already cleared. It made for a very unpredictable, entertaining journey. And as an avid Arch-Vile fan, I certainly got my fill here!

Once I embraced movement across the map, and infighting, my ammo troubles seemed to clear up. (I also skipped over both the Chainsaw, and the Berserk early on, which didn't help things). Health and armour were plentiful, however.

I found one texture related glitch, in the spoiler tag below. (This was one of the final arenas connected to the exit).

Spoiler

I don't think they were like this when I first entered the arena, but upon returning to it later, the front sides of these translucent mid textures seemed to be buggered (the back, on the inside, seemed to be fine though). Not sure what happened. 

a0D8lBA.png

Wonderful map, thanks for sharing! 

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I hope I could make myself a bit useful.

Of course Heels, your feedback was very valuable. Bummer there wasn't any more room for your suggestions but perhaps it's better i can't expand the map any further ;p

18 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

For a map that invites such careful exploration and meandering, it hurt my poor, fragile ego to see Time = SUCKS on the end screen, haha. Took me over an hour to finish this, but it was definitely time well spent. This was a very fun map!

Cool beans, glad to hear you've enjoyed it. Not sure what's causing the midtexture bug though, i'll double check it. Which Sourceport did you use for playing?

13 minutes ago, tourniquet said:

Cool beans, glad to hear you've enjoyed it. Not sure what's causing the midtexture bug though, i'll double check it. Which Sourceport did you use for playing?

GZDoom, which could be the problem. I've basically sidestepped your listed source port recommendations, so if the issue isn't showing up in vanilla/limit-removing ports -- which the map is optimized for -- I don't think you should worry about it.

6 hours ago, tourniquet said:

vanilla compatible.

Savegame Buffer overrun.

Outside of that, this map is extremely impressive, mostly because it runs in vanilla doom with (almost) no errors. Difficulty here is obviously very high (slaughtermaps are notoriously hard after all) but despite the high difficulty, this actually felt fair, and that might be because the player isn't stuck in an open area with nowhere to hide whilst they're surrounded by 100 gunners.

One big complaint I have is the minigun felt weak. Miniguns are usually weapons that let you mow down hoardes of enemies within seconds, this felt more like a generic machine gun.

I wanna ask a quick question, that invisible floor with the green border, can you please tell me what dark ritual you used to summon such a cool design. :3

Just stopping by to say that this map is fantastic. Played through it in about a half hour, ended up missing almost 300 monsters and only stumbling upon two secrets, haha. It's clear that there is so much to unpack here, there's a staggering amount of content for a single vanilla map. I'd love to see what a max of this would look like! Anyways, absolutely lovely adventure with outstanding visuals and some great fights. Despite the heavily non-linear nature of the map, I never found myself getting properly lost; whenever I was unsure of where to go there was always a clear new path that I had not yet traversed. Also, I appreciate that despite playing like kind of an idiot, none of the fights were immensely tight or insurmountable, and I was able to consistently squeeze my way through, heh. Thank you for this, tourniquet!

Looks awesome, I like that it's vanilla compatible too.

There's no deh file provided for Chocolate Doom? Or is there a way for Choco Doom to run the internal deh?

8 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Savegame Buffer overrun

I reckon the savegame overflow is widely ignored nowadays, Chocolate Doom even has an option to disable it.

8 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I wanna ask a quick question, that invisible floor with the green border, can you please tell me what dark ritual you used to summon such a cool design.

Those are self referencing sectors.

@AD_79 Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated and i'm glad you enjoyed the map.

@WH-Wilou84 @NoisyVelvet Cool, thx for the demos, gonna watch those later.

31 minutes ago, Catpho said:

There's no deh file provided for Chocolate Doom? Or is there a way for Choco Doom to run the internal deh?

Whoops my bad, i'll post an update with the deh file later, just need to catch some sleep. You can run the internal deh in Chocolate Doom with the -dehlump parameter.

Grats on finally releasing the map! Had lots of fun playing it. Now I have another map I can stream ad nauseum :D.

During my time streaming the map today I think the exit just next to the blue key fight didn't work correctly. 1:12:00 should be the time stamp for me getting there if you want to investigate if something happened. It is definitely possible that I missed something though.

I liked how the arena setpieces had been set up to be very pushy but with just enough space to squeeze trough and overlook the treat first before it kills you. Very much enjoyed the fantastic theme, especially those city building embellishments. Missed a bunch of sidequests with only 1 key and 5 secrets, very much simmilar to the @NaturalTvventy's maps in terms of optional content and map flow. Great stuff.
Had just a bit of a struggle to navigate back to the next area through automap, ended up wandering off into an exit sequence. I do think that it's a cool second visit invitation to the map.

3 hours ago, Killer5 said:

Grats on finally releasing the map! Had lots of fun playing it. Now I have another map I can stream ad nauseum :D.

Don't make me regret my decision :D

3 hours ago, Killer5 said:

I think the exit just next to the blue key fight didn't work correctly.

A dumb oversight by me, the chances for this to occur were rare but i'm glad you stumbled upon it. It's Fixed now.

@JDR Cheers, glad you enjoyed the trip, all things considered.

I've updated the OP with a new version. Dehacked file is now included and i've fixed the GK Exit bug Zzul has discovered.

Liking what I'm seeing in the screenshots. Just downloaded, will give it a spin soon enough. c:

This is a pretty incredible map, both in how it looks and how it plays. The architecture and texture combinations are really well done, same with the monster positioning. After playing Miasma I expected this to be harder, but I guess that's what I get for playing on HMP.

Above all else, I love the verticality in this and how everything connects. The map is very open, and I often found the way to go accidentally. I can see a lot of replayability here.

Here's my casual playthrough in GZDoom:

Probably a bug:
There are two sectors in different parts of the map that are both tagged 70 (not counting the off-map control sector). As a result, going through the green key setpiece seems to close off the path to get to the green key door on the other side of the map, which was previously open; I got softlocked down on the pathway leading to the GK door, and couldn't take the lift back up to where I'd come from for some reason either. Maybe I missed something, though. There appears to be a walkover trigger there (tag 14) that is supposed to lower some floors, but it's not happening.

Edited by Not Jabba

@Lorenz0 Cool, thx for sharing your playthrough, i haven't watched it yet but definitely gonna tackle it later. Also glad to hear you've enjoyed the ride.

4 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Probably a bug:

Dammit, no idea why the GK exit isn't working as intended, none of this ocured during testing. But thanks for the detailed report, i'll double check everything.

Just played through this on the Bullet Hell Onslaught difficulty, had a great time. This was definitely not what I was expecting (though I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting). I loved the "re-imagining" of the combat across the map, including several of the arenas that got kicked up a notch, and the Invulnerability Sphere fights were quite fun and refreshing (not to mention, forgiving). 

The whole thing just had a very different feel to it, which was really enjoyable. I kind of wish more maps did something like this. 

6 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Just played through this on the Bullet Hell Onslaught difficulty, had a great time.

Heh, tbh i wasn't expecting it to be well received by the majority of players, i'm glad to hear you could find some enjoyment in it. Aside the fact that this map is sort of a grabbag of weird/uncommon ideas i wanted to add a bit more effort into replayability. Thus i came up with ideas like multiple exits, varying player starting positions and Onlsaught as well.

@Not Jabba I wasn't able to replicate the bug you've reported, did you play the recent version or v1a? Just wondering, perhaps i've already fixed the issue.

Great map. I really dig the setting, the layout, interconnectivity (other then the presence of a lot of secrets, tricks, exploration, fun fights). It's impressive that this giantic map it's vanilla compatible, damn. Played on UV (v1a) finished with 6/16 secrets and about 80 monsters left, didn't found any bugs, just a minor thing (in the green cave where the BFG fight is, some slime falls are textured as greenrock).

GJ Tourn !

2 hours ago, tourniquet said:

I wasn't able to replicate the bug you've reported, did you play the recent version or v1a? Just wondering, perhaps i've already fixed the issue.

Ah, sorry, it was v1a. I hadn't noticed the update yet. If you've fixed this already, please disregard.

Anyone else has run out of ammo during the first cyberdemon fight? I played version 1b on HMP and I already had very little ammo left before I dropped into the cyber arena. I found two or three secrets before that, but it wasn't enough. Also, I didn't find any melee weapon yet. I didn't have any ammo shortages in the other parts of the map, so I guess it's just the matter of distribution.