Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wrathoxic

I don't want Doom Eternal to be Team Fortress 2.

I'm worried I'm going to be slaying, and then a player Revenant with the Doot skin comes over and starts spinning and dancing to be "friendly". It would ruin the immersion. Likewise, I hope there is an option to turn off player cosmetics, because a Unicorn skin is pretty immersion breaking. This game isn't Team Fortress 2. It's Doom.

dootrevenant.png

14 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

This comparison could not be more inappropriate. 

Nah, the comparison he's making is regarding skins/hats "ruining TF2" after the high influx of meme-tier cosmetics. Nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. Hell, he could've used League of Legends or Dota 2 to make a similar point. I remember back in beta, Dota 2 had a Cowboy Ursa skin, which people complained as being idiotic and it got removed. Afterwards, Valve stated that future skins will fit the atmosphere of the game. Now, I haven't played Dota 2 in over 5 years, so I have no idea if everyone is running around with joke skins these days or not.

Also, I haven't seen any DOOT Revenant posts on Doomworld since registering. Where exactly is the joke so huge and well-loved that iD included it in the game?

Are you telling me there'll be players running around in custom skins in the single-player campaign?

There's probably going to be a tiggleable option for this, I guess, but this wouldn't affect me at all anyway. If people want to use them, so be it, ain't gonna lose sleep over it.

Also, TF2 is not even remotely similar to Doom - meme-tier cosmetics aside.

It's just the players way of having fun with each other after finishing the game, Let's also not forget that the silly skins are limited-time only (Collector's Edition, Twitch Prime....etc) so it's not like every single player is going to be wearing them or is obliged to see them, only the people that really want them/don't mind them, and as said before you can just opt out of Invasions or not play Battle Mode if they really bother you.

4 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Also, I haven't seen any DOOT Revenant posts on Doomworld since registering. Where exactly is the joke so huge and well-loved that iD included it in the game?

There's someone here whose avatar is a Doot revenant.

Considering that Slayer cosmetics are completely player controlled (and that the Unicorn outfit is an exclusive behind Twitch Prime) you shouldn't have to worry about anything like that ruining immersion outside of Battlemode.

Now if silly meme-tier stuff in general is the issue, then I recommend completely avoiding the Slayer's Man-cave, as that could irreversibly ruin the entire game!

I understand the hate with these fortnite skins for the Singleplayer campaign.  I don't have to use them and I never will.  However the one issue is invasions.  If I am playing Doom and I get invaded by unicorns and hipsters, it is going to break the fourth wall and take me out of the moment.  In otherwords, immersion breaking.  A lot of player take this stuff seriously.  We don't see movies that establish themselves as action comedies at first then go full Naked Gun in the middle for the sake of being funny do we?

Finally, to tell people to just turn off invasions is not a solution since that is a MAJOR feature in the game.  My suggestion is that these skins can be flagged off.  Therefore anyone who wants to invade as a unicorn will either turn into the default skin or be unable to invade that persons campaign. 

Everyone wins if this can be done.

35 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Finally, to tell people to just turn off invasions is not a solution since that is a MAJOR feature in the game.  My suggestion is that these skins can be flagged off.  Therefore anyone who wants to invade as a unicorn will either turn into the default skin or be unable to invade that persons campaign. 

Well, invasion mode will not be enabled at launch anyway. It's battlemode that will be available for multiplayer.

Invading as a unicorn is not going to be possible, since the unicorn is a slayer skin, and we haven't been told that any demon unicorn (demonicorn?) skin would exist.

Anyway the simplest is that you can turn off other people's skins, so they will appear as an arch-vile hipster on their own computer, but as a regular arch-vile on Mr Buzzkill Nofunallowed's computer, and everyone is happy.

52 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Finally, to tell people to just turn off invasions is not a solution since that is a MAJOR feature in the game. 

Nothing has indicated invading is a major feature. It's not even available at launch and they've basically said nothing about it since Quakecon 2018.

Doot is more of a reddit and twitter meme I think. It certainly didn't originate here, though there were precursors that made the revenant popular for memes, including "spooky scary skeletons" and "agitating skeleton" which I think influenced it.

Another case of "I dont like it therefore its not doom/has nothing to do with Doom"

I see alot of over reactions and overinflation of minor issues.

Dont worry. Doom isnt going to make this into an online Multiplayer only 4v4 game anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, Gez said:

Well, invasion mode will not be enabled at launch anyway. It's battlemode that will be available for multiplayer.

Invading as a unicorn is not going to be possible, since the unicorn is a slayer skin, and we haven't been told that any demon unicorn (demonicorn?) skin would exist.

Anyway the simplest is that you can turn off other people's skins, so they will appear as an arch-vile hipster on their own computer, but as a regular arch-vile on Mr Buzzkill Nofunallowed's computer, and everyone is happy.

Just because it is delayed doesn't make my argument less relevant.  And we all know those silly skins are coming for the demons eventually.

I don't mind seeing most of the other skins.  In fact I look forward to killing other demon variants as invaders.

19 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

Nothing has indicated invading is a major feature. It's not even available at launch and they've basically said nothing about it since Quakecon 2018.

Invading a campaign is a HUGE feature.  You basically get to play each level as a demon not to mention the dynamic gameplay you get as a slayer.

29 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Just because it is delayed doesn't make my argument less relevant.  And we all know those silly skins are coming for the demons eventually.

It may not make it less relevant but it's still annoying. Do you actually have any evidence for silly demon skins or are you just being a whinger, crying about something that you have no actual objective reason to believe exists or will exist?

Even if it does come to pass, turn off Invasion and don't player the multiplayer. Volia. Unicorn-be-gone! The world does not revolve around you and your tastes. If you do not like something, do not play it. Simple. I swear some people just exist purely to bitch about inconsequential things these days.

Edited by Murdoch

8 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

It may not make it less relevant but it's still annoying. Do you actually have any evidence for silly demon skins or are you just being a whinger, crying about something that you have no actual objective reason to believe exists yet?

Even if it does come to pass, turn off Invasion and don't player the multiplayer. Volia. Unicorn-be-gone! The world does not revolve around you and your tastes. If you do not like something, do not play it. Simple. I swear some people just exist purely to bitch about inconsequential things these days.

My argument just went over your head and I am sorry you do not understand.  We already have the hipster skin, which is fine in battle mode.  But in the campaign there are people who do not want to see doom turn into nonsense.  Once again, immersion.  This is about personal tastes and frankly nobody else's business.   I am not even asking for a compromise here. 

2 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

I swear I've never seen so much complaining about something you can TURN OFF. 

And once again telling people to turn off a feature will never be acceptable.

It's possible they were thinking along the lines of the Slayer and the playable demons as being each a pack of cards, and there's only two jokers in one of those.

I don't see silly skins becoming the norm unless there's huge demand for them, but frankly I just don't see that happening with a game like Doom. Even with the more arcade-y* approach being taken at the moment.

*(I guess? I dunno but I've heard people complain about lack of immersion and/or it being more upfront about being a game)

2 minutes ago, Zemini said:

My argument just went over you head and I am sorry you do not understand. 

No, your argument hit me just fine. I just think it is stupid. Big difference there champ.

32 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Invading a campaign is a HUGE feature.  You basically get to play each level as a demon not to mention the dynamic gameplay you get as a slayer.

That's...not really what Invasion is meant to do, going by what they have shown/ suggested so far. For one thing, the demons don't have near the mobility options that the Slayer does, even in Battle Mode, which suggests that certain points of the map will simply be inaccessible to certain demons (which may be part of why it's not going in at launch). From what we've seen and heard so far, it looks more like you'll just pop in at certain points as a player controlled foe, not play the whole stage as a demon type instead of the slayer. 

I'm also confused as to why the disable option is not acceptable here. If you don't want a troll coming in, you turn it off. Simple. If you only preffer to play with specific people, I'm almost certain you will be able to set up private games (I mean, you could do so in 2016, so why not here...). So where is the problem?

8 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

No, your argument hit me just fine. I just think it is stupid. Big difference there champ.

I am not so sure about that but whatever.

6 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I'm also confused as to why the disable option is not acceptable here. If you don't want a troll coming in, you turn it off. Simple. If you only preffer to play with specific people, I'm almost certain you will be able to set up private games (I mean, you could do so in 2016, so why not here...). So where is the problem?

Apparently from what I heard at QC2019:  Demons spawn in certain places and are able to navigate all over the maps with their own portal hubs. This might of changed recently though.

As for as just turning invasions off .. how about a option to for the players to limit skins or better yet certain skins in their campaign?  It really doesn't hurt anyone.

could you guys stfu about the things you dont like in the game already? like jesus christ, literally no one cares

f60.jpg

Edited by Skootroot