Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Icon of Sin

Who out of the classic ID software team would you have a drink with?

Donna Jackson. Back in in the 90s and today.

She knows more secret area's than Carmack or Stratton would tell you.

Adrian Carmack it's kinda cool and interesing to know about the spriting desing.

Romero to just generally have fun and Adrian Carmack to talk about the art.

Sandy Petersen. I don't know if Mormons can even consume alcohol, but I don't drink either so whatevs.

I just wanna hear him go on about Lovecraft and game design, and old nerdy stuff.

Donna Jackson, if she'd do me the honor. She probably has some interesting insights to share. Plus, she's one of the last remaining original team members. You have to respect her dedication. 

50 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Sandy Petersen. I don't know if Mormons can even consume alcohol, but I don't drink either so whatevs.

I just wanna hear him go on about Lovecraft and game design, and old nerdy stuff.

No alcohol for Mormons, no coffee and tea either.

For me it would also Hall, Romero and Peterson because level design and game design in general, and Adrian Carmack because art.

Romero by far. J Carmack doesn't really strike me as being the most casual/conversation-driven guy. I feel like Romero has done more in the way of design to really help the original game get where it needed to go and it made me happy that he even considered making Sigil. To me, he's the one out of the classic team who still cares about the game the most and would be the best one to sit down, chat and have a couple drinks with.

I guess pretty much everyone

John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall mainly

For some reason I feel like having a conversation with Adrian Carmack would be boring, I have the feeling that he is too much of an introvert (can't blame him, I'm the same), but to be frank I feel like John Carmack would be kind of the same (at least back in the day, in a more personal/close conversation rather than when he speaks in conferences nowadays)

Why not all of them?

If I have to choose one, it would be either Romero or Tom Hall. 

Carmack for sure. Romero and Carmack would be interesting too but they would probably act different with a third person in the room.

Tom Hall because he created Commander Keen, which was what ignited my passion for so many things down the line.

or

John Romero, and I wouldn't ask him a single DOOM question. I mean, c'mon, what's the story behind SHADOW KNIGHTS? How about Rescue Rover??? In all seriousness I would probably bombard him with questions regarding Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Quake, Keen, Wolfenstein, Catacombs, general level design and game design, Apogee... yeah. I have no shortage of shit I want to ask Romero.

I would like to talk to Sandy Petersen and try to understand the workflow while creating the maps. Sandy seemed to get a greater burden of maps, I woud like to know if his more abstact and less detailed maps were the reason or the result of the extra workload. Also, I want to see if he has played the other Doom games and console ports and his opinions of them. And I'd ask some things about Quake, I guess :D

I personally don't drink, though I'd be more than happy to have a nice conversation with anyone from the old id Software days, hell I'd love to speak to anyone with any ties to id Software, like the guys from Raven or Rogue.

That is, of course, assuming that my general awkwardness in such a situation doesn't ruin the atmosphere.

John Romero while singing the greatest hits of Dragonforce on karaoke, he looks like he digs speed metal and power metal.

I misread the top two thread titles together as 'Which classic Doom monster would you have a drink with?'. I'd totally down some bevvies with a cyber