Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benpaste

Zandronum Status Bar Scaling

Hi, I've just installed Zandronum and I'm wondering - is there a way to have pixel-perfect scaling for the classic 1993 Doom HUD (not the fullscreen Zandronum HUD)? Just so that there aren't any unevenly stretched pixels. Are there config arguments that I could put in?

On 3/13/2020 at 1:53 AM, Benpaste said:

Hi, I've just installed Zandronum and I'm wondering - is there a way to have pixel-perfect scaling for the classic 1993 Doom HUD (not the fullscreen Zandronum HUD)? Just so that there aren't any unevenly stretched pixels. Are there config arguments that I could put in?

Seems similar to this, from which the answer is: only with a mod, as stock assets aren't made for high res.

The pixels on modern monitors are square, but the pixels on a 1993 screen playing DOOM are not square but rectangular, a bit taller than wide (5:6 ratio).

This means to draw it the 1993 HUD "pixel perfect" you need to draw each hud pixel as a block of 5x6 screen pixels, which is only possible on a monitor which is 1600 pixels wide (320*5), or a wider monitor but with black bars filling the extra space on the sides.