Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Does anyone else find the "BRAGGHHH RIP AND TEAR!!!" attitude of some of the Doom community tiring/annoying?

21 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Nightmare wasn't even supposed to be a real difficulty in Doom.

In Doom 4, no. You don't have respawning and Sonic-tier speed enemies. Instead, on harder difficulties, you take more damage.

To be fair Steam, Discord and fb groups all have their fair share of toxicity, it's the mainstream / big spots that are usually subject to this kind of attitude (hard to moderate maybe?). That's not to say there aren't exceptions (r/blender), and less popular subs (r/hammer, r/mirrorsedge) are also usually chill places and nice ways to share content. I guess it depends on what kinds of people frequent those subs.

I hate goddamn slogans. Now "Rip and tear" just makes me sick and Doom E1M2 theme too.

yeh is just gaem, just run, shoot and boop *sip*

(see what I meant? it's an endless cycle lol)

Edited by sluggard

I do agree that, if the new games do indeed continue from where Doom 64 ended, then Doom 2016/Eternal's legendary warrior Doom slayer portrayal feels "earned".

He's probably a broken man, as anyone would be after being stuck in hell, but I see his gruesome ways of executing demons less as sadism, and more like a man who's become dangerously efficient at what he does. He doesn't have time for bullshit so he just punches drones for upgrades and yanks keycards and weapons from UAC employers, but he clearly does have a heart, as shown when he backed up VEGA, and at how annoyed he got at Hayden's dismissiveness to the mars massacre. And also as seen in the fortress of doom in DE. He does lots of other things that don't involve killing.

What I'm saying is, he's basically Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. A stoic, hulking power house of a man who's only doing what needs to be done because no one else wants, or is able to. He  just wants peace for earth and for himself, it just so happens that to do that he has to maim armies of monsters. He doesn't particularly enjoy it but he's good at it. Boy, is he fucking good at it.

I'm going to defend the Doom comic to the death because people only remember the RIP AND TEAR CHOO CHOO HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN part.

Has anyone forgotten the part where Doomguy goes on a tirade on nuclear waste and how humanity is poisoning Earth? We forget that the Doom comic also gives Doomguy a soul, he cares about things, he cares about the future of humanity, what kind of world we give our children with our actions, he cares about Earth and its ecosystem. Aspects that return in Doom 2016 somewhat with how the Doomslayer subtly reacts to people and the world around him.

Edited by FractalBeast

1 hour ago, FractalBeast said:

Aspects that return in Doom 2016 somewhat with how the Doomslayer subtly reacts to people and the world around him.

Like when he Backups VEGA, he was like his only true companion during the campaign since Samuel Hayden was just 'using' him. 

15 hours ago, FractalBeast said:

Has anyone forgotten the part where Doomguy goes on a tirade on nuclear waste and how humanity is poisoning Earth? We forget that the Doom comic also gives Doomguy a soul, he cares about things, he cares about the future of humanity, what kind of world we give our children with our actions, he cares about Earth and its ecosystem. Aspects that return in Doom 2016 somewhat with how the Doomslayer subtly reacts to people and the world around him.

You, sir, are a hero. *thunderous claps*

On 3/15/2020 at 9:59 AM, qdash said:

I hate goddamn slogans. Now "Rip and tear" just makes me sick and Doom E1M2 theme too.

You mean E1M1?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, VGA said:

Doom 2016 was a huge success because of the lack of good competition.

The good old "You only think it's good because you don't know any better."

But to stay the topic, It really shows how differently each section of the Doom community appreciates the product, for better or worse.

Edited by jazzmaster9

7 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

The good old "You only think it's good because you don't any better."

I can't tell if you agree with me or if you're being sarcastic :D

Also, you accidentally a word.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:04 PM, FractalBeast said:

I'm going to defend the Doom comic to the death because people only remember the RIP AND TEAR CHOO CHOO HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN part.

How are people supposed to forget what they never read and only saw 4 panels from ?

1 hour ago, VGA said:

I can't tell if you agree with me or if you're being sarcastic :D

I don't Agree, Doom 2016 is great in it's own merits. 

having little competition may have helped but its still a great game in it's own right.

The Rip n' Tear has been going on since way before Doom 2016, and I think it's safe to say the joke's run its course by now. There was a time it was once funny to play up the OTT, Hyper-Aggressive, Hyper-Masculine elements to its most absurd conclusion like that, but no joke is funny when it's been repeated over and over for <8+ years straight.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, doomsucksass said:

You mean E1M1?

Yeah. Stupid melody.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:47 AM, Redneckerz said:

Its basically a lite meme.

the comic amused me with its exaggerated, crazy portrayal of doomguy. now apparently this is how many actually see him.

Edited by Pirx

5 hours ago, Pirx said:

the comic amused me with its exaggerated, crazy portrayal of doomguy. now apparently this is how many actually see him.

Crazy mod idea. Doomguy vs. Doomberserker.

Like a demake of Doomslayer vs. Marauder.

Instead of DSCYBSIT or DSSPISIT, the boss fight begins with "HEY GO FUCK YOURSELF!" as the Doomberserker flips you off.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:55 AM, elend said:

I made the mistake to join some Doom Facebook groups and... it was not pretty, let me tell you.

I joined one where people started doxxing each other and they were posting cancerous memes about it. Facebook is sometimes nice but wow it can be such a mess. There's also Slayerposting where there's drama everyday over stupid shit.

4 hours ago, Senor500 said:

I joined one where people started doxxing each other and they were posting cancerous memes about it. Facebook is sometimes nice but wow it can be such a mess. There's also Slayerposting where there's drama everyday over stupid shit.

What was the name of the group? Link?

4 hours ago, MassiveEdgelord said:

What was the name of the group? Link?

Amantes del Doom, in spanish.

What happened was that one admin got his account hacked and things went downhill for a while, I think they recovered it though but besides that I don't really like certain members I see there often. They're sort of annoying.

Well the Doomguy in Eternal talks in some flashback scenes.

Spoiler

His lines are straight from the comic. Huge guts, rip and tear, kill them all.

1 hour ago, User Name said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Which makes sense considering Doom 64. He probably has heavy PTSD by then.

You know, I kinda like both Doomworld's "has to fight to defend earth and is otherwise a relatively normal man who just wants to live a normal life" interpretation of Doomguy and Project Brutality's "Saxton-Nukem-Hamfest-Extrodinaire" interpretation of Doomguy.

I could totally see the former looking at a normal day of the latter and just going "I have no idea what the fuck I'm looking at", and the latter just deciding to straight-up be the UAC and make unsafe, extremely dangerous, and impractical weapons designed to just McFucking obliterate demons, usually in the face. ("LOOK AT PUNY CHAINSAW! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THREE BLADES, AND IT'S NOT ON FIRE! HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW YOU'RE KILLING DEMONS!?")

On 3/19/2020 at 8:12 PM, User Name said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm gonna give that one a pass cause he's fresh off of being recovered from hell and is all battered and bruised and probably in a bad mood in general.

37 minutes ago, kinker31 said:

and the latter just deciding to straight-up be the UAC and make unsafe, extremely dangerous, and impractical weapons designed to just McFucking obliterate demons, usually in the face. ("LOOK AT PUNY CHAINSAW! IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THREE BLADES, AND IT'S NOT ON FIRE! HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW YOU'RE KILLING DEMONS!?")

Fuck, this is a good take too though. I need to see Saxton Slayer fully realized, just commissioning increasingly ridiculous guns, while wrestling hell knights in his CEO office.