Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jewlz2102

Violence in Video Games?

Do you think that video games such as Doom increase the agression in adolescents? Please give me your views on this as I am writing a paper and need quotes from people.

The only people that I see as being affected by computer game violence are:

1. Children (who are impressionable)
2. People who are already mentally unbalanced

For (1), there are laws/guidelines to stop children from buying violent games. As for (2), I think it would be ridiculous to restrict violent games because of the effects they might possibly have on crazy people.

Do you think that video games, television, movies, music, etc which show violent behavior influence the actions of adolescents who commit violences? Please help me with this, i have a paper on it!

Games like Doom don´t make me aggressive, even "Blood" (which is far more gory) is just a fun.
People can make me aggressive, but that has not to do anything with the games I use to play (my first person sight).
People usually become mad if they are treated in a bad way in their real lives, as an example: If they have a bad job, low income, lots of harassment from all sides.
In my opinion alcohol and talkshows definitely make people aggressive, but nobody would even think about banning alcohol from our society.

humans already are naturaly aggressive, also young males are the same way. it is evolution that we have a violent streak, not games and bad infulence. however mentaly unbalenced and young children should not play games like doom. violence is part of reality and can never be gotten rid of, unless u change genetics. thus it should not be shielded. games like doom help releive strees, thought playing any game for too long is bad.

people who blame games either are stupid or dont want to accept reality and their own mistakes(or maybe for both reason)
then you got people who fallow the crowd, and only go aginst it because other order them to.

Violence in Shows, Movies, games ect.. Aren't typically meant to have a effect on the peoples who experience it. The majority of them are meant to give you feelings of some sort and razzle-dazzle the user, and in some cases, get the feel and perhaps Adrenalin of the product, but not so much that it makes the user(s) want to preform acts of violence and such that may have been displayed within the product. These things are souly to entertain (and help the creators hopefully rake in the mula), not to influence the peoples who experience it to commit and preform such acts and stunts, when obviously they are either highly far-fetched, or against any serious laws.

But then again, thats just the way I see it, nothing more.

What kind of weird newbie is this, posting the same question like 5 times...?

myk said:

What kind of weird newbie is this, posting the same question like 5 times...?

A typical newbie, what else?

Doom is a great stress reliever.

I have NEVER punched or kicked anyone, yet I play lots of violent games. People who go on shooting sprees are either War vets that are fucked up really bad or kids with too easy access to guns that are fucked up - if there were no games, tv or comics out there, they'd just read books and newspapers and get "inspiration" on how to kill from there or they'd learn to use their own imagination.

Funny thing is that a teacher of mine just mentioned something like this. We were talking about a German book where the author indirectily "kills" a famous book critic. We discussed whether some people could be "encouraged" to actually kill the book critic in real life from reading this book.
Well, he (our teacher) mentioned that he thought that stuff like violent movies *can* affect some people, because there is a shockingly large amount of people who can't discern between fiction and reality. I didn't get a chance to offer my own views on this though...
...But if I did I'd have told him pretty much what I've written above.

Doom, Heretic, Hexen, or Quake or some miscellaneous violent game doesn't make you violent. It's when you try to emulate what is in those games that you become violent.

A hundred years ago, inadequate books were demoralizing the youth.

Fifty years ago, rock & roll music was demoralizing the youth.

Ten years ago movies were demoralizing the youth.

Today games are demoralizing the youth.

WHERE IS THE PATTERN IT MOST BE HIDING

I think that playing games such as Doom makes people less aggressive (or else has no effect - some people aren't aggressive to start with). Just my impression; I don't have any particular evidence for it.

Violent films - not sure. There the viewer is only watching, rather than participating. I imagine it depends on how it is portrayed.

Violent music, e.g. "gangsta rap". If it makes violence seem "cool", then it might be a problem.

No, they must first have that capability within them. Video games are no more likely/less likely to trigger it off than any other factor.

Grazza, that doesn't work. Games portray violence as not cool while movies and rap depict it as cool?

People just wanna blame shit for their shortcommings, weather it's shoddy parenting or downright stupidity.
These violent kids that go shooting innocent people have no moral foundation. The media, school system and science have already abolished the idea of a god, so there's no consequences for their actions, right? Oh there's prison, but these kids (like the columbine shooters) can easily escape by simply putting a bullet in their own head. And in the afterlife they're all set. I hope they were awfully sure of themselves. Sounds like a big sacrifice to me.
Banning games won't fix it, banning books won't fix it. Banning music will not fix it. It's the zero sum, the final destination of mankind that is destroying these kids. The idea that life ends at nothingness, we evolved from stupid space gasses and when we die we simply vanish into thin air. Why not take as many down as you can?

Flame on!

Violence in games. Violence in films. Violence in TV. Violence in news. Violence in the newpapers. Violence in music.

It's just the world that we live in - as happy as we feel, all snug and warm and content in our technologically-masturbated society, there's some nasty shit happening elsewhere.

I've witnessed most of the above forms of physical nastiness - and more besides - and i rarely feel the need to stab/maul/gore my neighbors. Rarely.

It's the person, not the media.

Whatever, Use3D. As if people were morally well-conducted back when the idea of an existing God was intellectually accepted, or something. God was the social stucture of a thousand years ago, and you only get the "morally purified" content when searching among the remains of the dead past unless you dig deep and read between the lines. Wait another thousand years and watch how most of what is considered morally inacceptable or unusual today or tomorrow lives on only as a patch of spray paint on the walls of a crumbling building.

As was said in one of my favorite comics; Jhonny the Homicidal Maniac:

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves whatever they get. Movies. Books. TV. Video Games. All of these are entertainment and nothing more, NOT guidebooks for damning yourself."

And I agree fully. Entertainment does not breed violence. Those whose line of fiction/reality is blurred do. Unless otherwise stated, it is meant to entertain, and nothing more.

myk said:

Grazza, that doesn't work. Games portray violence as not cool while movies and rap depict it as cool?

That's not what I said at all.

In a game you're involved in it. It's different. As dsm said, it can be a great stress reliever.

My point was that there is a difference between watching and participating - merely watching may not have the same stress-relieving effect.

I'm not going to condone the horrible acts of intolerance and violence of the barbaric christians or chatholics of the past. We all know there are some mighty fine wackjobs who are religious nuts. We've got a big hole in NYC to prove that point. But with people theres always one extreme or the other. there's never a happy medium. Never moderation. thanks for your comment though myk, at least it's intelligent.

Violence according to the Mahatma: "...to injure any creature by thought, word or deed, not even to the supposed advantage of this creature..."

However...
Entire populations are systematically taught killing and hurting can be justifed under surten circumstances (like a war against terrorism). Even the killing of hundreds of thousants innocent people (bombing of Japan WWII) can be 'justified' with enough influence. We are made to believe our nations are the practitioners of good violence and our enemies the practitioners of bad violence. These "justifications" are based on lies and deceit. Within every man/ woman is the voice of thruth saying ALL violence is wrong. There is no good and no bad violence; there is just violence.
Unfortunately the rest of world tries to silence this inner voice...

How is a sane adolescent supposed to handle these lies. Every time he/ she turns on the television-set he sees murder, and tortured being justified and classified in an unnatuaral way. Clinton was bombing Kosovo (good violence) when the Columbine shooters killed their fellow students (bad violence).
Society teaches us violence is OK to preserve honour, (self-)defence and justice. Still society is suprised when individuals practice violence to preserve their own honour, (self-)defence and justice...

Violent movies, games, music can add to the glorification of 'good' violence. A movie like Pearl Harbour is a good example of such propaganda. BUT NOT ALL violent movies, games and music add to glorification of violence. A game like DOOM does not seriously promote the murder of other human beings. The arguments used there to justify the killing of another man ("he was turned into a braineating zombie") can not be compared to the glorification of 'good' violence in real life. IMO Doom is a save way to unload any violent frustrations without being exposed to 'good/bad' violence propaganda.

To end the violence, we must end all violence (and I know that is a LOT harder than it sounds). There should be global political, social and economical chances. No longer must a nation think itself superior to another; no longer must governments/ corporations promote the horrors of war; no longer should we have to lie to ourselves about the true nature of violence...

When will man learn...