Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agentbromsnor

Parallel Doomensions - Quake 1 Styled Community Megawad (open for mappers!)

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Sourceport?

3 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I'm currently working in Boom format

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Sourceport?


Like I said, I think it makes sense to aim for Boom compatibility for optimal playability (so probably PrBoom+). That being said, it should also be fully compatible with GZDoom for those who enjoy that since that's the most popular port right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:


Like I said, I think it makes sense to aim for Boom compatibility for optimal playability (so probably PrBoom+). That being said, it should also be fully compatible with GZDoom for those who enjoy that since that's the most popular port right now.

Very cool concept. I've been a fan of Quake 1's chaotic Lovecraftian theme.

I've got something to ask though.

 

  • What are the map/mapper limits?
  • Are there any mapping gimmicks involved (e.g X sectors, X textures, X linedefs per map?
  • Deadline?
  • Where do we discuss the progress of our map(s)?

 

Share this post


Link to post

I recommend to check out "The Dimension of The Boomed" by Urthar. It is a Quake 1 inspired boom-format wad. Probably you are already aware, but I mentioned just in case. 

Share this post


Link to post

Needs more info and organization, such as, will there be episodic themes, who will take each map slot, how will the progression turn out, and such.

Share this post


Link to post

As stated above, this is a fun idea, I'd even be interested in mapping, but there just isn't enough information. Specifically episode themes.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Very cool concept. I've been a fan of Quake 1's chaotic Lovecraftian theme.

I've got something to ask though.

 

  • What are the map/mapper limits?
  • Are there any mapping gimmicks involved (e.g X sectors, X textures, X linedefs per map?
  • Deadline?
  • Where do we discuss the progress of our map(s)?

 


I think our limits should probably be within the scope of Quake 1's singleplayer campaign. So no huge slaughter-maps (no offense to slaughter fans, but it just wouldn't fit I think). I would also encourage mappers to look at typical Quake level design quirks for inspiration on how to structure your levels, since just like with Doom, the design of the maps largely share a similar theme (at least in terms of design)

I'm not sure if there should be any "hard" limits to the amount of sectors or lines somebody should use... I think the most important thing is to keep it Quake styled.

Honestly; what would be a realistic deadline, you think? Six months? Maybe a year if we want to get really carried away? :p

Is this thread not good enough for discussing our progress? I'm also on Telegram and Discord if anyone prefers.
 

 

11 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I recommend to check out "The Dimension of The Boomed" by Urthar. It is a Quake 1 inspired boom-format wad. Probably you are already aware, but I mentioned just in case. 


Yep! Hard not to mention that WAD, haha. That WAD is "just" 9 levels though. It also has custom monsters, which... Is that something anybody would prefer over just regular Doom monsters? I'm legit asking.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

As stated above, this is a fun idea, I'd even be interested in mapping, but there just isn't enough information. Specifically episode themes.


Since this would be a mod for Doom 2, it would have three "episodes". I'd say we should go for the three well-known Quake 1 themes, which are:
- Base (futuristic tech bases)
- Castle / medieval (speaks for itself)
- Runic (dark dungeon aesthetic with lots of metal textures)

Share this post


Link to post

Here is an interesting idea: if you're going to make a whole quake-themed wad, use the original quake textures and palette, and convert the doom enemies and other resources to that palette. I can help with this. The q1tex resources aren't that far off from the originals, but some of the blues don't translate that well.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, plums said:

Here is an interesting idea: if you're going to make a whole quake-themed wad, use the original quake textures and palette, and convert the doom enemies and other resources to that palette. I can help with this. The q1tex resources aren't that far off from the originals, but some of the blues don't translate that well.


I agree that some of the colours kind of got lost in translation. If you could help out with that, I would greatly appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

 Is that something anybody would prefer over just regular Doom monsters? I'm legit asking.

Yes, if done right. See Valiant's Map15's starting area, where Kamikazes are ultilized.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:


I agree that some of the colours kind of got lost in translation. If you could help out with that, I would greatly appreciate it!

 

Cool, I'll get started.

 

Are you interested in adding the mission pack textures? There's a preview of MP2 at https://www.quaddicted.com/files/wads/rogue.zip_rogue.wad.jpg, I can't find a preview for MP1 easily. No bloodfalls in any of them unfortunately :p

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, plums said:

 

Cool, I'll get started.

 

Are you interested in adding the mission pack textures? There's a preview of MP2 at https://www.quaddicted.com/files/wads/rogue.zip_rogue.wad.jpg, I can't find a preview for MP1 easily. No bloodfalls in any of them unfortunately :p


Awesome!

I would say go for it! I think the mission packs still abide by the same theme as the vanilla campaign, so it would only provide more assets for mappers to work with.

Edit: Does that also mean you can convert the liquid textures to a proper Doom format? If so we can use those instead of Doom liquid textures instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Does that also mean you can convert the liquid textures to a proper Doom format? If so we can use those instead of Doom liquid textures instead.

 

If you mean the animated flats, probably. IIRC in doom the animation is just a texture offset, so I can recreate that effect manually. (But actually most of them are in fact the same textures as in Doom, just with a different palette! It's not completely obvious because of the way they're animated in Quake. Quake II uses many of them as well!)

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Put me down as a mapper, I love quake themed Doom maps.


Alright, I'll add everybody to the roster in the opening post. Just let me know which map slot you want to take.

Just to reiterate for everybody: are we okay with the episodes as suggested? So that means:

Episode 1 (maps 01 to 11): Base theme
Episode 2 (maps 12 to 20): Medieval theme
Episode 3 (maps 21 to 30): Runic theme
And two secret levels.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, plums said:

 

If you mean the animated flats, probably. IIRC in doom the animation is just a texture offset, so I can recreate that effect manually. (But actually most of them are in fact the same textures as in Doom, just with a different palette! It's not completely obvious because of the way they're animated in Quake.)


Yes, I meant those. Really? I wasn't aware. I did always recognize the "rock" texture which was featured in Doom before, but I guess I didn't notice any others during my playthroughs.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, plums said:

Look closely :)


Interesting! I guess it's hard to notice because of the texture filtering as well.

Also! We should probably come up with a catchy name for the project. :)

Share this post


Link to post

OK I've got the Quake textures all downloaded and the Doom graphics quickly batch converted. I'll have an initial version of a proper texture pack release in a few days, maybe tomorrow, depends how much doomsday shopping I need to do lol. In the meantime anyone who is excited to get started can use q1tex for now, I'll make sure to preserve texture/flat names so that this pack can be used as a drop-in replacement.

Share this post


Link to post

That's great news! I was already getting started with Q1TEX so the name preservation is very helpful.

Good luck with your daily activities! We shouldn't be in a hurry, so all is well. Also feel free to take on a map slot if you like!

Share this post


Link to post

Alrighty! If you could slide me into slot 16 that would be excellent!

 

10 minutes ago, plums said:

OK I've got the Quake textures all downloaded and the Doom graphics quickly batch converted. I'll have an initial version of a proper texture pack release in a few days, maybe tomorrow, depends how much doomsday shopping I need to do lol. In the meantime anyone who is excited to get started can use q1tex for now, I'll make sure to preserve texture/flat names so that this pack can be used as a drop-in replacement.

Can you also include an All black texture and flat, if possible? They're very useful!

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Alrighty! If you could slide me into slot 16 that would be excellent!

 

Can you also include an All black texture and flat, if possible? They're very useful!


Welcome on board!

We should probably also think of Lovecraftian names for our maps, I reckon.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Agentbromsnor said:


Welcome on board!

We should probably also think of Lovecraftian names for our maps, I reckon.

Its probably smart to save that for after the map is completed. I'm planning on making my map a tribute to Sandy Peterson in some way. Not sure yet, but I really want to emulate some of Peterson's design tropes. Gonna have to study Doom 2 and DTWID2.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Hey, project is up. That's nice.

I see that the actual texture pack is still not ready.

In the meantime, please give me map13. I may need a helping hand later on, though.

 

And since you are looking for name... how does "Qoom" sound?

Some additional suggestions:

 

Quote
  • Custom weapons/enemies, or basically just sprite reskins to better match the overall theme.
  • A rad final boss. All of you clearly know that all Quake bosses are downright too gimmicky to fight.
  • A not-so out-of-place status bar.

 

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Can you also include an All black texture and flat, if possible? They're very useful!

 

Good idea, I'll use the names as they are in cc4-tex, ALLBLACK and ALLBLAKF for the texture and flat respectively, should someone need to use them right away.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hey, project is up. That's nice.

I see that the actual texture pack is still not ready, though.

In the meantime, please give me map13.

 

And since you are looking for name... how does "Qoom" sound?

Some additional suggestions:

  Hide contents

Custom weapons/enemies, or basically just sprite reskins to better match the overall theme.

A rad final boss. All of you clearly know that all Quake bosses are downright too gimmicky to fight.

A not-so out-of-place status bar.

 


If you look at the opening post, I was also thinking of "QOOM" but I'm hesitant because it sounds a little bit silly. :p

Custom weapons and enemies would be cool, but it would take some work. The weapons should be pretty easy to replace since most of them, aside from the lightning gun and the grenade launcher, have some kind of Doom counterpart. However, I'm afraid that if this isn't implemented really well, it would come off as janky and gimmicky.

I agree with the final boss; it would have to be something special. I'm still not sure if we should go for a Quake-style version of the Icon of Sin, or if we should use DeHacked to make something special.

The statusbar should be fairly easy to replace I think. Actually, I'm fairly certain I've seen this done in the past in another WAD.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×